Question about Book 4 & 5

3 hours ago, Bironic said:

Yes it's true. But ADWD exceeds partially the timeline of AFFC.

Here are two links if you want to read both books simoultaneously:

combined reading order of AFFC & ADWD

combined reading order of AFFC & ADWD nr 2

Thank you very much. What would you recommend? Reading both Books at the same Time or To split the Reading? 

When I first read AFFC, ADWD wasn't out yet, so I can't really say what I would do in your place. The moment TWOW will be announced by GRRM, I'll do a simoultanous reread of AFFC-ADWD. But a reread isn't the same as reading them for the first time. 

I think it depends on what your priorities are.

If you read the books at the same time you have to follow the specific reading order posted in the links above, otherwise you'll get spoiled and confused. So it's more complicated than reading AFFC first and after that ADWD. If you are too lazy to do that I recommend the traditional way. Also put together they are one ginormous book with shitloads of names and worldbuilding, if you have troubles with keeping up names and stuff, the split is probably easier and faster (not that you have to hurry since TWOW isn't coming out any time soon).

It's also a choice of characters:

AFFC has no Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Bran, Davos or Theon chapters. If these are your favorite characters, and you can't stand the idea of reading a book without them, do the simoultaneous read. Or if you can get your head around the fact that you won't encounter your favorite chars for an entire book, you could do the opposite: read AFFC first and save up your favorite chars for later.

If Brienne, Sansa, Samwell, Arianne Martell are your favorite characters, ADWD will be kind of boring for you since they're not POV chars there, AFFC has also way more Jaime and Cersei chapters.

If Arya is your favorite character it doesn't matter since she is featured in both books, although not in a prominent way.

Sry I really don't know what I would do in your position. With hindsight I would do the simoultaneous read, because I think that put together they make a better book (not as good as AGOT or ASOS IMHO) but better than if you read them as two separate books. But as I said above a reread isn't the same as a first read.

Maybe you can ask Brynden BFish who is one of the guys that has done the combined reading order for more info.

ereader friendly combined read

• 2 weeks later...

I would say it depends on your reading pace (which I know is a cop out). Reading both books combined is a pretty large task and keeping that much sprawl straight can be difficult if you aren't going through them quickly. If you are a slower reader like me, there are fewer POVs, smaller geography and you reach some resolutions faster if you go one at a time. That said, if you want to completely immerse yourself in that world for a while then reading both makes sense as well.

I have been through them twice and can say from my perspective - knowing what happened in ADWD absolutely helped when I reread AFFC. Possibly because I am not that close of a reader, but having the broader narrative already down really helped me appreciate the details the second time through. 

I hadn't even considered reading them combined until reading this post, but I think for my third read (probably sometime after WoW comes out) I will try this out.

Archived