Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

This year Star Wars: Episode VIII is slated to come out so in honor of that I thought for a thread were we make predictions for this movie and come back in December and see who got some or even all predictions right.

Ok for me:

Luke is Rey's dad will be revealed

We will find out Snoke's backstory

Kylo killed Rey's mom when he betrayed Luke and Luke left Rey on that desert planet also erased her mind to save her from Ren

Kylo Ren will be given Vader's lightsaber

Kylo will fight both Luke and Rey in the climax an Luke will die.

Yours?

I saw that the old EpVIII thread was closed last week and thought about starting a new one; I wanted to subtitle it "A Death in the Family" (obvious homage to the Batman sequence of the same name) but thought it might be a bit too much, too soon.

I would have had predictions, but with Fisher's passing I have no clue.  Her part was done, but so much of how they handle her in this movie will have to do with what their plans were for Ep IX obviously. 

I liked the rumored plot of some power struggles in the New Republic after the fall of the central government.

I just wonder how much longer we'll wait until we know the name of the movie.  I can understand waiting to release the name to not distract from Rogue One; but its time to show us something.

20 hours ago, Stannis is the man....nis said:

Luke is Rey's dad will be revealed

No, we'll find out Rey is Luke's dad.  As in reincarnated Anakin Skywalker, allowed a chance of redemption.  Finn is Padme reincarnated.  I said this after seeing Ep 7.  Alternatively, Finn is Anakin reborn, but blocked from the Force as punishment for last time around, and has to save Rey as Padme reborn but tempted to the Dark Side.  I can't decide which version I'd prefer.  The gender swapping makes more sense because Rey is good with tech, as was Anakin.

Two of my favorite Rey theories so far in my book... 

1. Rey is a clone of Luke created by Snoke using Luke's severed hand. This explains why all reports say that TFA was supposed to start off with Luke's hand in space and was only cut at the last minute. The Force interacted with the process and made her female.

2. Rey is indeed the daughter of Luke Skywalker but she is also the Granddaughter of Obi Wan Kenobi. There is mounting evidence that Sabine in Rebels may just be Ben's daughter. 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

I saw that the old EpVIII thread was closed last week and thought about starting a new one; I wanted to subtitle it "A Death in the Family" (obvious homage to the Batman sequence of the same name) but thought it might be a bit too much, too soon.

I would have had predictions, but with Fisher's passing I have no clue.  Her part was done, but so much of how they handle her in this movie will have to do with what their plans were for Ep IX obviously. 

I liked the rumored plot of some power struggles in the New Republic after the fall of the central government.

I just wonder how much longer we'll wait until we know the name of the movie.  I can understand waiting to release the name to not distract from Rogue One; but its time to show us something.

Rogue One is still doing its cinema run. Give it time. We still have almost a whole year to go yet. 

I anticipate a title and maybe a teaser by mid-Feb at latest.

In terms of plot;

Ben will train more with Snoke. We meet the Knights of Ren. Plans made to eliminate the remaining Resistance leaders.

Luke and Rey will train for a while. Rey's parentage revealed. (Luke, probably)

Finn will wake up and find his place among the Resistance. Bromance with Poe Dameron continues. They end up prisoners of the First Order. Somehow.

Leia's role will centre around doing what she can to rebuild in the wake of the New Republic's destruction. At some point she gets a touching reunion with Luke.

We learn where Maz got that damned light sabre.

47 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

1. Rey is a clone of Luke created by Snoke using Luke's severed hand. This explains why all reports say that TFA was supposed to start off with Luke's hand in space and was only cut at the last minute. The Force interacted with the process and made her female.

2. Rey is indeed the daughter of Luke Skywalker but she is also the Granddaughter of Obi Wan Kenobi. There is mounting evidence that Sabine in Rebels may just be Ben's daughter. 

Please, no more Jedi/Sith clones. The EU died for our clones. 

The second point would be cool, but I'm not sure I buy the evidence about Sabine. 

16 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

The second point would be cool, but I'm not sure I buy the evidence about Sabine. 

I will take the discussion into the Rebels thread so as not to spoil people...

14 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Yeah, I'd like to steer clear of any cloning coming whatsoever. I'll take a Force wipe of Rey's memory any day over clones.

Here's a good article debunking the Sabine is Obi-wans' daughter rumors

9 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yeah, I'd like to steer clear of any cloning coming whatsoever. I'll take a Force wipe of Rey's memory any day over clones.

Here's a good article debunking the Sabine is Obi-wans' daughter rumors

On the flip side, if someone did use Rey to make a clone army, it would be a golden age for puns. A new Reyne of terror, Reyzing cities, endless arReys of troops. 

I was leaning toward Rey being Luke's secret daughter shortly after seeing the Force Awakens as well; but that would be infuriatingly derivative and obvious. Furthermore, after JJ Abrams said he'd like to see gay characters in future Star Wars films, Mark Hamill said at some point last year that Luke could potentially be gay if an audience member wants to interpret his character that way. -- meaning Luke probably isn't going around making babies if Mark Hamill thinks there's room for the character to be sexually ambiguous. I don't know how much they tell the core actors about the various mysteries and their backstories/how those plots play out in future films given how secretive the producers are, but I'd imagine they tell the main leads about their general character arcs throughout the trilogy. So if Luke was Rey's father, I'm guessing Hamill would know that and wouldn't be leading gay/bi Star Wars fans on if that were the case. Then again, this was a character that was notoriously attracted to his sister, so maybe I'm just reading too much into Hamill's LGBT comments as I really, really don't want that to be the stupidly obvious twist. (Honestly I'd rather have Chewie be Rey's father than Luke.) 

ETA: Also, Jedi aren't really supposed to take significant others. I'm assuming Luke learned that going through the old Jedi archives. Or maybe he decided to scrap that rule when he started the new Jedi order -- but that would also be strange given that that's exactly how his father turned to the dark side. (Then again, maybe he was ashamed he fell in love and had a daughter and broke his own rules, so he dumped his shame on an uber-isolated desert planet to forget about her and hide her from the world. If Luke being a sadistic arsehole to his daughter is the twist, then I think I could live with that. Bonus points if it pushes Rey to the dark side. :P ) 

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

No, we'll find out Rey is Luke's dad.  As in reincarnated Anakin Skywalker, allowed a chance of redemption.  Finn is Padme reincarnated.  I said this after seeing Ep 7.  Alternatively, Finn is Anakin reborn, but blocked from the Force as punishment for last time around, and has to save Rey as Padme reborn but tempted to the Dark Side.  I can't decide which version I'd prefer.  The gender swapping makes more sense because Rey is good with tech, as was Anakin.

"Dead Again" as "Star Wars" or "Star Wars" as "Dead Again"?

Judging from the previous installment.

Movie opens with a big battle scene in snow or some other extreme weather. Move to Rey training to be a jedi in a remote location, maybe a swamp.

Finny gets frozen in carbonite, but not before proclaiming his love for ReyRey. 

Bittersweet ending with a shocking revelation of familial relation.

11 hours ago, All-for-Joffrey said:

Furthermore, after JJ Abrams said he'd like to see gay characters in future Star Wars films, Mark Hamill said at some point last year that Luke could potentially be gay if an audience member wants to interpret his character that way. -- meaning Luke probably isn't going around making babies if Mark Hamill thinks there's room for the character to be sexually ambiguous. 

I think kissing his sister really confused him so he swore off all romantic entanglements. 

15 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I also ascribed to the clone theory, though not quite as you put it. If the clone theory is the way to go, I would much rather that Rey is the daughter of a Luke clone that was created by Palpatine near the end of the war to serve as back up to Vader trying to convert real Luke. But then the war is over, Palpatine dies and the facility where this clone was made is shut down, but the Luke clone goes on to live his life and has Rey.

However, I also agree with @ab aeterno about not using clones for this plot. Especially since in that case the midichlorians come into play again, and I think they want to stay away from that. But the strongest clue to the clone theory is, indeed, the introduction of Anakin's lightsaber in the story. Who found the saber, and why was it kept?

Between Anakin's lightsaber and the little details we have about how Ben Solo's betrayal really happened (how many Jedi apprentices did Luke lose to this betrayal?) I find it very difficult to theorize on Rey's connection to the Skywalkers.

Archived