Star Wars: Episode VIII predictions

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I am curious as to what this current war will be called. We had the Clone Wars in the PT, and the Galactic Civil War in the OT.

I wonder if there's even much of a war going on? It seemed pretty one-sided in TFA aside from an exceptional successful guerilla attack on the Starkiller base.

I haven't read the tie-in books that explained why there was a star destroyer on that planet but maybe it gives a name for the war?

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I don't see Ezra, Ashoka or Kanan showing up in the main movies though. It'd require way too much exposition and would come out of nowhere for the people who haven't seen the animated shows.

I'm hoping Rebels completes their main stories at this point. I'm not sure it would really require that much exposition to have older versions of them pop up in the main films though. Darth Vader arguably worked better with what we knew of him from the original films (although I get that he had a lot of time devoted to him) and the prequels could be optional backstory. The same could be done with those Rebels characters with the option to dig further if interested. I still haven't seen beyond the first 15 episodes of Clone Wars but I felt I wasn't in the dark with Ahsoka.

Part of me feels it was a shame the old dude Kylo killed at the start of TFA wasn't Kanan. And there's still the internet conspiracy theory that Ezra could be Snoke. Although I think everyone has been considered a candidate for Snoke at this point.

I haven't read the tie-in books that explained why there was a star destroyer on that planet but maybe it gives a name for the war?

That was still the Galactic Civil War. One year after the Battle of Endor the Rebel (now New Republic) and Imperial fleets met over Jakku and the Empire lost, losing both a Super Star Destroyer and a standard Star Destroyer on the planet (among with many more destroyed in orbit).

8 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I think it's beyond a doubt that Luke is the titular Last Jedi. The opening crawl of TFA states "the sinister First Order has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed."

If we view this passage as foreshadowing, then it could be possible that Luke dies in Episode VIII at the hands of Ren and/or Snoke, perhaps after refusing to train Rey, thus ending the Jedi Order forever (unless Ren turns back to the light).

I guess begs the question: what is it that differentiates a Jedi from a Force-user who follows the light, other than training at the Jedi temple or with a master who trained at the Temple?

The Jedi code.  If they don't follow the code, they aren't Jedi.

12 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I have a confession to make. The first time I saw The Force Awakens and we meet Rey and she says, "I'm Rey" I heard "Amrei". I didn't find out my mistake until my second viewing a week later and called her Amrei the whole time. 

A japanese friend of mine thought I was called "Amneil" for quite a while based on a similar mistake.

On 25/01/2017 at 11:30 AM, Rhom said:

The Jedi code.  If they don't follow the code, they aren't Jedi.

Unless Luke found some old Jedi temple or text book I'm not even sure he can pass on the code to others. How much knowledge about the Jedi are we to assume Luke received from Obi Wan and Yoda offscreen? It feels like he must have found something else out between V and VI and VI and VII to be able to do a decent job of passing on Jedi knowledge. Maybe the proof is in the pudding considering he failed miserably. Another reason why I think Luke won't be teaching Rey to be a Jedi but something else.

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

Saw a funny meme predicting the name for Episode IX by putting the two titles together so it says "The Force Awakens - The Last Jedi - Who Hits Snooze."

:lol: 

While this is a funny joke, there might be something here to speculate on. The Force awakens the last Jedi...

4 hours ago, red snow said:

A japanese friend of mine thought I was called "Amneil" for quite a while based on a similar mistake.

Unless Luke found some old Jedi temple or text book I'm not even sure he can pass on the code to others. How much knowledge about the Jedi are we to assume Luke received from Obi Wan and Yoda offscreen? It feels like he must have found something else out between V and VI and VI and VII to be able to do a decent job of passing on Jedi knowledge.

What else are Force ghosts for? ;)

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

While this is a funny joke, there might be something here to speculate on. The Force awakens the last Jedi...

Be odd if the next title starts with "and" unless they plan on running into the next trilogy. I'm finding it hard to get a sentence that works while functioning as a solo title. "to destroy the sith/new order" maybe? "to create the future".

I'm struggling.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

What else are Force ghosts for? ;)

I'd forgotten about the force ghosts. I guess they could have Anakin and Yoda turn up as force ghosts once Luke's back on screen. If Obi Wan decided to look younger as a ghost then we could have Ewan McGregor too (although after Rogue one I guess CGI ghosts are viable options too).

Let's hope force ghosts are more forthcoming than their live counterparts.

Force Ghosts fade into the general being of the Force though right? Surely they should be almost completely gone now. I figured the voices in Rey's vision was more or less all that was left of Obi, Yoda, etc. Luke might have got a bit out of them for a few years, but it's not like they've just been hanging with him for thirty-five years.

8 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Force Ghosts fade into the general being of the Force though right? Surely they should be almost completely gone now. I figured the voices in Rey's vision was more or less all that was left of Obi, Yoda, etc. Luke might have got a bit out of them for a few years, but it's not like they've just been hanging with him for thirty-five years.

Reluctant as I am to reference the prequels, isn't Obi-Wan supposed to communicate with Qui-Gon at the end of episode III? That must be a good number of years after his death surely.

7 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Is fading actually mentioned anywhere in the new canon?  I only watched about 75% of the Clone Wars cartoons, so I was wondering if there was something there.  Qui Gon's ghost appeared a couple times in the cartoons, and he's the one who taught Yoda how to turn into a ghost, so it's obvious he stayed around for many years. I think George Lucas said Qui-Gon's body didn't disappear because he hadn't quite figured the whole process out, but whether Word-of-George is canon anymore is anyone's guess.

I don't even really like the prequels, but I think having a 50yr old Ewan as the ghost of Obi Wan wouldn't be that outlandish or rejected by too many people.  Also, as someone mentioned, there's the CGI thing.  Sir Alec was a little less enthusiastic about Star Wars than some of them though, so it's possible that he took steps to protect his image (or his current estate holders would know what his feelings would be about CGI recreation). 

I also don't recall any force ghosts in the new books.  There are a lot of ghosty things related to holocrons in the new Rebels season, but I haven't watched those either.

It would almost be funny to have Luke lead Rey back into a cave where a bunch of force ghosts are having a support meeting to discuss their many failures. Qui-Gon (just a talking cloud), Mace Windu (everyone keeps calling him Mace Window because of how he died), Yoda, Obi Wan, and Anakin could just complain about sand the whole time. I think they could all intoduce themselves AA style, but when they get to Yoda, he's screwed because he doesn't have a last name.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

Be odd if the next title starts with "and" unless they plan on running into the next trilogy. I'm finding it hard to get a sentence that works while functioning as a solo title. "to destroy the sith/new order" maybe? "to create the future".

I'm struggling.

I'd forgotten about the force ghosts. I guess they could have Anakin and Yoda turn up as force ghosts once Luke's back on screen. If Obi Wan decided to look younger as a ghost then we could have Ewan McGregor too (although after Rogue one I guess CGI ghosts are viable options too).

Let's hope force ghosts are more forthcoming than their live counterparts.

This must be addressed, firstly there are no Sith to destroy at the moment, secondly why would you want to destroy New Order?, they're a great band!.

6 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

This must be addressed, firstly there are no Sith to destroy at the moment, secondly why would you want to destroy New Order?, they're a great band!.

that would make a great album cover quote.

I suspect you Sith just want us to think you aren't around anymore. Just two of you appeared to be an improvement so maybe making the galaxy think there weren't any of you would work out even better?

I wonder if the plan was to go with a route similar to the one JK Rowling took in the HP books - Moony (Remus), Wormtail (Peter), Padfoot (Sirius) and Prongs (James) were killed in a reverse of the order of their names on the Marauders' Map. 

So perhaps the plan was for Han to go, then Luke, then Leia, in reflection of their order of appearance in SW: ANH. Han appeared last, and went first. Luke will begin the second film as The Last Jedi, die or be killed, and Rey will finish as the new Last Jedi. The plan would have been for Leia to die in the final film, but in view of very sad recent events, this may now change.

Sorry if someone else has mentioned it earlier on this thread (or indeed earlier on any thread). I don't have time to keep up with all the posts.  

12 hours ago, red snow said:

that would make a great album cover quote.

I suspect you Sith just want us to think you aren't around anymore. Just two of you appeared to be an improvement so maybe making the galaxy think there weren't any of you would work out even better?

:D who knows, you could be right, maybe we were just having the day off during Episode VII to go to a New Order concert :P.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

It's First Order.

That's just Sidious rubbing in my earlier mistake I'm afraid to admit. I can only hope that a new order will arrive by the end of the trilogy so I can salvage some dignity

1 hour ago, red snow said:

That's just Sidious rubbing in my earlier mistake I'm afraid to admit. I can only hope that a new order will arrive by the end of the trilogy so I can salvage some dignity

If you mix up The First Order/ Knights of Ren with New Order wouldn't that by default make The Empire and The Sith Joy Division :P.

3 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

If you mix up The First Order/ Knights of Ren with New Order wouldn't that by default make The Empire and The Sith Joy Division :P.

I guess the Sith did put an end to Joy.

Archived