MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

I thought the first Woodley vs Thompson fight was dull as ditch water and I never wanted a rematch.

Still I did not expect the terrible snorefest we were offered. I'm glad they were booed by the crowd. 

For me, I don't see how Thompson has any right to anything, so Woodley is the deserved winner.

Over two matches, Thompson has done jack shit. Certainly Woodley was the better man yesterday.

Let's never fight again guys.

Vannata vs Teymur was the only fight I really enjoyed, and while I thought Vannata would win this, Teymur ended up deserving the win.

Mostly I was just disappointed by Khabib vs Ferguson being cancelled. Every main UFC event now has a cancellation since June 2016 it feels like. Jones vs Cormier. No. Cormier vs Rumble? No. Werdum vs Velasquez then? No.

On 3/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, Castel said:

... If this was LHW or HW or some weak division the UFC could have infinite patience working him up until he well and truly Cains things up ...

Not so sure about that, they just cut hot LHW prospect Cirkunov (4-0 UFC) and established up-and-comer Krylov (6-3 UFC) a couple of weeks ago and no division is more desperate for new blood than 205. Of course technically neither are "Russian" per se, but their names both end in "ov" so I count it.

Meanwhile I enjoyed most of the main card. Difficult as it was to see my man Hunto lose, it was a good scrap, with Hunto trailing blood all over the shop from his gashed shin, Overeem showing off his smarts with some damaging kicks and Hunto showing he's much more than just a left hook, mixing in hard body kicks and a bunch of hellbows from various angles, a couple of which visibly stunned Overeem. Then the girlfight was short but sweet with some nifty technique, Dadbod Dan Kelly kept things intriguing against Rashad with his unorthodox, trip-heavy striking game and Lando and Teymor put on a FOTN show in the co-main.

As for the main, I fully expected another draw but I had no issue with the scores which gave Tyron the fight. The media scores apparently were something like 5 for Tyron, 5 for draw, 5 for Wonderboy, so if they ever fight again they should just save us fans the trouble and just flip a coin.

• 2 weeks later...

This commentary on Pickett vs Vera :lol: 

"Have you ever been to a rooster fight, Dan?"

"No, and I think I'll avoid them at all costs."

"I agree, hopefully we've moved on as humans from that."

Where did any of that come from? :lol: 

So Golovkin/Jacobs was waaaaaaay closer than anyone was anticipating and while I didn't properly score it (was way too tired in the night and haven't rewatched it yet) Jacobs could easily have a case that he won. Razor thin margins, great performance from Jacobs.

In other news, Roman Gonzalez lost! Tough, close fight that could also have gone the other way, but a shock nonetheless. Essentially what we saw was a great little man hitting the limit of how high he can move up- despite the loss, his performance in the face of being physically badly outmatched and two serious cuts from head clashes during the fight was brilliant, and so was the fight as a whole. Seek it out, definite FOTY contender.

Jacobs was very impressive as hell. There were a few times I thought the KO was right around the corner but he answered everytime with his own shots. It was a surprisingly great fight, and also weird to see Gennady not dominate thoroughly. 

I decided against buying the GGG fight, but I kind of regret that now. If he actually does end up in the ring with Canelo there's no way I'll miss that one.

p.s. This forum is so screwy sometimes. It re-loaded this quote box from ages ago and there's no way I can find to delete it. :blink:

On 3/5/2017 at 7:41 AM, Castel said:

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

You're all bracing yourselves for cancellation news aren't ya?

Still hasn't happened yet. 

There's still plenty of time for a knee injury. Never count DC out.

11 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Gastelum v Silva is cancelled cause Kelvin popped for weed. Why is weed even a banned substance at this point? So dumb. 

If you read the news today it looks as if the new President asked his guy to send a letter to US attorneys to revisit the more lenient stance that Obama had put in place a few years ago. It sounds like we are back to the 1950's where they are trying to scare everyone again, linking violence and even the opioid issue to marijuana. Anything to lock more people up.

If it's true that NY does not have a replay rule, then the initial call made by Miragliotta should have stood right? I'm thinking of football (soccer) where whatever call the ref makes stands even if it turns out to be wrong, because there's no replay rule. 

If that's the case, that fight should have been a no contest right? (or even a DQ for Moose) Since Dan stopped it for what he thought were illegal knees? If the call is allowed to be changed after the fact then NYSAC are ignoring their own rules. Unless they do have a replay rule and everyone saying otherwise is wrong. 

Weidman should maybe appeal :dunno: I was rooting for Moose but even he seemed upset about winning that way. 

Weidman was pretty shady about it. When he thought it was illegal he appeared to tell the doctors he couldn't continue, then Dan tells him it was legal and suddenly Chris is all good to go.

Moose meanwhile was all class, telling his team not to celebrate, telling Weidman he would do a rematch, no problem. How can you not like that guy. He gives a fun interview these days too.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

He was trying to grapple with DC. That was the surprising part.

I was going nuts at that. No wonder his coaches abandoned him after the fight.

8 hours ago, Davrum said:

Weidman was pretty shady about it. When he thought it was illegal he appeared to tell the doctors he couldn't continue, then Dan tells him it was legal and suddenly Chris is all good to go.

Moose meanwhile was all class, telling his team not to celebrate, telling Weidman he would do a rematch, no problem. How can you not like that guy. He gives a fun interview these days too.

I was going nuts at that. No wonder his coaches abandoned him after the fight.

That was pretty low by them.  

19 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

That was pretty low by them.  

Yeah. Not cool behaviour. Although watching the interview after the fact it seems like it was only Hooft that actually left- the other one he named was there and did seem to come in (another white shirt popped up behind Rumble, anyway).

Anyway, as entertaining a mess as this event has proved to be I'm glad I was watching the boxing instead (although I did switch over briefly during the Gvozdyk fight, missing an entertaining dominant victory there but getting another one in the fun scrap between Calvillo and Gonzalez). Lomachenko is too good for words and Usyk was in a great little scrap with Hunter.

Archived