MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

I don't think Aldo's performance is anything to claim he's done over. He won two rounds handily and then got caught. :dunno: 

Although in fairness he did look like he was slowing down. Max probably had the rest of the fight regardless. 

30 is on the high side for the lighter weight classes and Aldo - who started so young and was old school in both his sparring and weight cutting methods for a long time - probably has more miles on him than any top level fighter below MW except maybe Frankie. In fact even though Aldo is younger than Frankie he started his career before Frankie and has more fights.

But even Old Man Aldo had a significant speed advantage over spring chicken Max. What was notable though was how hard he was breathing by the end of R2. In his rematches against both Frankie and Chad - his most recent 5-rounders - Aldo finished strong. Even in R5 against Frankie he looked like he had gas to spare.

The other two things which were notable were the lack of leg kicks and the lack of takedown attempts. In the past when he's fought strikers (and even some wrestlers, like Lamas) he's always scored multiple takedowns and done so with an accuracy only matched by GSP, and he's had those leg kicks restricting his opponent's mobility. Between gassing early and the decision not to use two weapons which require a higher energy output I have to wonder if he had flu or some other health issue.

I rate Max highly and thought he could beat the champ, I just didn't expect Aldo to look so uncharacteristically limited in his defeat, especially since it's not long since his utterly masterful display against Frankie.

Amazing result in the boxing last night, Ryan Burnett won on 2 scorecards by 12 points, and lost on the other one by 10.  It is assumed the judge got the boxers wrong, not acceptable at any level, never mind a world title fight. 

perfect quote from Ricky Hatton on the debacle that is Mayweather v McGregor - 'I absolutely love the bloke. But it’s two different sports and I couldn’t hit him, Oscar [De La Hoya] couldn’t hit him, Canelo [Alvarez] couldn’t hit him, Conor’s not going to hit him.'

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Amazing result in the boxing last night, Ryan Burnett won on 2 scorecards by 12 points, and lost on the other one by 10.  It is assumed the judge got the boxers wrong, not acceptable at any level, never mind a world title fight.

He's since admitted it, apparently. It was the only answer really, he scored two 10-8 rounds to Haskins according to people who saw the actual card.

Mind you, as unacceptable as it is to get the boxers the wrong way round, it's a hell of a lot more acceptable than genuinely scoring 10 rounds of that fight to Lee Haskins would have been.

I like Burnett a lot. Glad for him, though Haskins wasn't really world champ level and Burnett's going to have far tougher tests from now on.

Was it just me or did the Hunt-Lewis fight end because Lewis was so tired he couldn't continue? It seemed like he ran out of gas and knew Hunt still had plenty left and said fuck it, I'll just cover up and hoe the ref ends it. 

Rumors swirling that Mayweather - McGregor match may be set, Aug 26th is rumored date as of now. We will see if it's more smoke and mirrors.

And just like that, 4 hours later the date has been refuted!

11 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Other possible matchups:

Cristiano Ronaldo v. Lebron James one on one in basketball

Leo Messi at shortstop for the Yankees

Tom Brady as a center midfielder for Bayern Munich

This is two combat athletes squaring off and both use boxing in their sport, not exactly a fair comparison to someone who uses only his feet against someone who uses only his hands. I think of this like when you see Jenny Finch pitching against baseball players. They are two very different styles and sports but some of what they do is the same.

Now is it just a money grab, yep. Will I watch it, I probably will. Have never paid to watch boxing before but I likely will for this one. Hell if you went all out you could have a championship UFC fight, then a championship boxing match, then close with these two. Kind of a show case of the sports.

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

I know it's not going to happen, but I'd really love to see Mayweather lose. And yes I'll be one of the suckers watching this nonsense. 

UFC fans would be insufferable if that happened. If Mayweather wins a boring UD which is also most likely they will be just as bad. 

Best outcome for me would be Floyd knocking Mcgregor out but I doubt that happens

55 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

UFC fans would be insufferable if that happened. If Mayweather wins a boring UD which is also most likely they will be just as bad. 

Best outcome for me would be Floyd knocking Mcgregor out but I doubt that happens

True but I never want to see the abusive piece of shit win. Besides, UFC fans are already insufferable :P

I definitely won't be paying for this. Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers of all time. McGregor probably isn't good enough to be a professional boxer. He's certainly not good enough to be a threat to Mayweather anyway, if he was he'd be a boxer already. It's a farce.

If Floyd is really about that money, he'll take a dive in one of the middle rounds. That way we'd get a trilogy fight and my god would those purses be huge. 

47 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Best outcome is McGregor forgets where he is and knocks Floyd out with a knee or kick before getting DQed

I've seen a lot of speculation that McGregor might try to dirty this up. One interesting strategy was for McGregor to try and break Floyd's wrist/hand/arm what have you. Boxers typically don't target the other guys forearm, so Floyd might not see it coming. 

Archived