MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

Final round of O'Malley vs Soukhamthath...all Soukhamthath had to do was stand up to win the fight. O'Malley couldn't walk. But he kept it on the ground and let him ride out a decision win. So weird. I guess he was still rocked from the previous round and not thinking straight. 

Looking forward to seeing more of O'Malley though. He's flashy as hell. 

I have no problem with a boxer getting saved by his power, but man Wilder should be ashamed of his performance. He has no boxing skills. The ref gave him extra seconds to recover, didn't warn him for throwing Ortiz and hit him with rabbit punches. If that wasn't enough, all 3 judges had Wilder up on the cards.

Bivol totally dominated Barrera. It was a pretty good fight.

Also happy for Uzcategui.

12 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I have no problem with a boxer getting saved by his power, but man Wilder should be ashamed of his performance. He has no boxing skills. The ref gave him extra seconds to recover, didn't warn him for throwing Ortiz and hit him with rabbit punches. If that wasn't enough, all 3 judges had Wilder up on the cards.

I'm not a Wilder guy(I will be rooting for Joshua when they fight) but to say he should be ashamed is a little much. He came back from being hurt at numerous times to KO a really tough dude. The ref's actions and the judges cards are not his fault.

But yeah, he was definitely not winning that fight up until that point... and he is totally reliant on his power.

Frankie got killed? Kinda figured he would in this fight.

2 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

KO'd in the first after a beautiful elbow and uppercut by Ortega.

I had Ortega winning too but I always root for Frankie. 

The judges having Wilder winning up until the KO makes no sense at all. 

12 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I'm not a Wilder guy(I will be rooting for Joshua when they fight) but to say he should be ashamed is a little much. He came back from being hurt at numerous times to KO a really tough dude. The ref's actions and the judges cards are not his fault.

But yeah, he was definitely not winning that fight up until that point... and he is totally reliant on his power.

My emotions got the better of me but he hardly did anything and grandpa Ortiz tagged him a lot more than I thought he would. I give him credit for surviving that 7th round. Funny thing is, I make fun of him because of his windmill punches, but that's what saved him the fight !

Joshua would KHTFO. I think even guys at cruiserweight could knock him out. Usyk and Gassiev would make it interesting. They have the skills and the power would probably follow, especially against a 214lbs Wilder.

2 hours ago, The Unborn said:

My emotions got the better of me but he hardly did anything and grandpa Ortiz tagged him a lot more than I thought he would. I give him credit for surviving that 7th round. Funny thing is, I make fun of him because of his windmill punches, but that's what saved him the fight !

Joshua would KHTFO. I think even guys at cruiserweight could knock him out. Usyk and Gassiev would make it interesting. They have the skills and the power would probably follow, especially against a 214lbs Wilder.

I think Wilder's an uncultivated dweeb, but he hits too hard to write him off against anyone. Joshua is obviously the better boxer by miles and should be heavy favourite, but he's not the greatest mover defensively, and one of those windmills could easily catch him.

Wilder’s not the most technically accomplished but his reach and power makes him very awkward. Fair play to him too, he showed a lot of heart and composure to come back last night.

Having said that if he gets tagged by Joshua in the way Ortiz caught him he’s getting knocked out.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah. After the 1st round you could easily tell who the alpha was and there was not much heavy action.

The commentators are right, this ref is fucking weird. Two entirely ludicrous times he stopped the action, with the main one being in the 8th.

Fair play to Parker actually, I had Joshua winning overall fairly comfortably on the back of his jab and dominating the ring in most rounds but he never really looked like connecting with his right hand. It's certainly the most difficulty anyone's given Joshua for me.

ETA: I had Joshua by about 4. The margin on the scorecards seems a little harsh.

I was really hoping it was an April Fools joke but it's not looking that way now. 

Still, Holloway is a fucking boss for stepping in on a week's notice and it's still a hype-worthy fight. It's just crazy how many times Khabib vs Ferg has fallen through now. 

They're saying it's for the belt, which is weird since Tony is interim champ. I guess they're just stripping him? After letting Conor hang onto his for 2 years without a defense lol. They better go through with stripping him too and have the winner be the official champ. 

But goddamn if Max pulls it off and becomes the second two-division champ (simultaneous that is) that sets up the biggest goddamn fight ever if Conor actually comes back to fight him. 

16 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

They're saying it's for the belt, which is weird since Tony is interim champ. I guess they're just stripping him? After letting Conor hang onto his for 2 years without a defense lol. They better go through with stripping him too and have the winner be the official champ. 

Tony was essentially the champ proper but they didn't want to officially strip Conor until both guys stepped into the ring coz of the history of Khabib/Ferguson. Guess they've decided since a title fight's going ahead whatever, they may as well make it official.

Conor stormed into the UFC Media Day while the fighters on the card were leaving, throwing trashcans and traffic barriers at the bus Khabib was on. Micheal Chiesa is apparently cut badly and may not be able to fight on Saturday as a result, Rose may have been hurt as well. Warrants out for Conor's arrest and he cannot leave New York. Artem has been removed from the card for being involved as well. 

What a fucking disgrace this man is. 

ETA: Rose is apparently uninjured, just shaken up. 

37 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

ETA: Rose is apparently uninjured, just shaken up. 

Given Rose's well-known mental health issues this might stop her fighting anyway and even if it doesn't it might not be a good idea for her to. I hope she's fine.

He's completely lost it. Utter disgrace of a man.

eta: latest word from Ariel Helwani is that Rose is fine and planning to fight.

Archived