MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

What's next, Chris Weidman's dad?

Or CJ Weidman, he's coming off a loss to Frankie Edgar's kid but the UFC doesn't seem to care about that sort of thing. 

Oh goooooooooood, Khabib was so messed up by his weight cut they canceled the fight.

Because why would the Just Bleed gods want us to have nice things?!?

30 minutes ago, Davrum said:

Oh goooooooooood, Khabib was so messed up by his weight cut they canceled the fight.

Because why would the Just Bleed gods want us to have nice things?!?

Open thread to post about how awesome tomorrow's card is, see this. Dammit. 

Something needs to happen WRT weight cutting, it's mental, and bad for everybody. Why not have three weigh-ins? Let's say the card is on Sunday. The fighters weigh in on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and forfeit 25 percent for missing once, 50 for twice, and you're scratched for missing all three (or W/E, maybe 15 percent per pound or something). An opponent can refuse if you miss twice, or even just the once if you're way over. If it's a title fight, both have to pass the Sat weigh-in for it to be valid - if the challenger misses Sat, the champ keeps the title regardless of outcome, and if the champ is over, 60 percent is docked automatically.

This idea is probably full of holes, but something has to be done.

Conor called Khabib being a pull out merchant. Speaking of fights that won't happen....that fight is dead.

Abou Diaby Kickboxing Academy strikes again I guess. At least Cormier has his belt (and Rumble didn't want Jones) so he has insulation. Khabib...He's never getting pushed again. It's always a waste. Especially when paired with his break for a few months cause Ramadan.

2 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

whats with mma weight cuts? Boxers don't do this from what I can tell. Is it a inherited from wrestling culture? Or is it that boxing has a lot more weight classes?

I think it's a combination. In MMA you need to drop a lot more weight to be in the weight division below what would be your most comfortable, but I think the reason fighters still do it, and do it apparently by leaving a fair bit of muscle on and trying to make it by pure dehydration, is that from what I can tell, having a mass advantage/disadvantage is a much bigger deal in MMA thanks to the wrestling/ground aspect.
There are some boxers who make big cuts, but usually the ones who are clearly fighting below their natural weight are right skinny fuckers and don't usually dehydrate themselves and rehydrate on the night to quite the same scale. In some cases, that's because there are rehydration clauses (the IBF has a rule where a fighter can't put back on more than 10% of the weigh-in weight for a title fight, iirc), but I think it's also because the length advantage is a bigger deal than pure mass, so they don't feel the need to add the extra risk to their health that shedding thirty pounds overnight would pose. 

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Khabib represents far too much potential money for the UFC to stop pushing him over this.

At a certain point what's the point of potential money? 

Sure, he's big in Russia (which isn't a big PPV country anyway) but he not only keeps fucking up fights (and he totally blew the momentum he gains) he's in a division with the biggest draw in UFC history. 

If this was LHW or HW or some weak division the UFC could have infinite patience working him up until he well and truly Cains things up. But it's Conor's division and he not only has this absurd Mayweather project going on it's an exciting division with both Tony and Nate immediately available, before you get other fights in the Top 5.. Conor has a lot more say and options and will make money either way and says he won't fight him. Historically he's been more reliable on this than Dana.

Honestly, speaking of Conor; I always thought it was a lame excuse from Dana to justify special treatment when he says "Conor does everything we ask him" but boy can I see why he appreciates Conor. Khabib-Ferguson has been cancelled thrice, Nate has come in overweight, Aldo pulled out of like half his fights,Pettis wasted his chance at FW (if he ever had it), Weidman, Rockhold and Yoel all had problems at MW, Jones did his usual bs, Cormier is also a member of AKA and did what was expected of him...

Say what you want about the cocky bastard; barring his brief Icarus moment he shows up. He hurts the division in other ways but he shows up.

Haye vs Bellew was the strangest fight I've seen for ages. Bellew was outboxing Haye, who looked utterly shite, although Bellew wasn't doing an awful lot of work himself and Haye was starting to find his way back into it until he blew his ankle out and spent the next six rounds staggering about as Bellew failed to get what should have been an easy finish. Eventually ended in the 11th.

He had the only major moments in the fight. I guess they gave him 10-8s for 3 and 5?

I thought it was going to be a draw again. 

Rd 1, 2 and 4: 10-9 Wonderboy

Rd 3: 10-9 Woodley

Rd 5: 10-8 Woodley. 

47-47

Neither of them did nearly enough to deserve the win IMO. 

4 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

He had the only major moments in the fight. I guess they gave him 10-8s for 3 and 5?

I thought it was going to be a draw again. 

Rd 1, 2 and 4: 10-9 Wonderboy

Rd 3: 10-9 Woodley

Rd 5: 10-8 Woodley. 

47-47

Neither of them did nearly enough to deserve the win IMO. 

Given the way the last fight was scored, I can see a draw. I can't see an outright Woodley win. At all. He went napping for three rounds. He had a good takedown in the third but it wasn't a 10-8 round. 

But I don't think they'd ever have scored another draw so we get this.

35 minutes ago, Castel said:

There's no way Woodley won that fight.

Nobody should've won that fight. I thought it was a draw, personally. Either way it was boring as hell, no matter what Joe Rogan said. Vannata-Teymur was great though.

Glad Thurman got the decision in the boxing world. That fight had its moments.

ETA: And I felt bad for Hunt. That knee was devastating.

Archived