MMA & Boxing 19: Cody Garbrandt's Dance Party

Davrum

Cormier was as surprised as anyone to find out that Rumble wanted to grapple with him, the one aspect where Cormier is unbeatable. And Rumble then got what he bargained for. Amazing really, after all this training and preparation, he turns it into a push and shove match against the fence. Unwise, with Cormier's amazing upper body strength.

Time for Jones to come back.

I had no plans of ordering the fight and only did because my nephew wanted to see it and paid half. I still think I got ripped off even at half price.

Weidman, IMO, knew he was going to lose and was looking for an excuse to get out of there. The replays looked like it was a glancing blow at best and yet as soon as the ref stepped in Weidman fell over to the mat as if he was stunned. Mind you, before the ref touched him he was doing just fine. Then he was wallaring around on the mat like he couldn't go any further, even seemed to tell the doctor he couldn't, until the ref told him it was legal, then he was right back up to his feet. Beyond shady.

Cormier-Johnson, horrible horrible fight. Another one where it seemed like the guy knew he couldn't win and just quit. I mean damn he gave up his neck and was in the choke hold for a like a second and tapped out. IMO, it was just a pay day for him.

Side note, my other nephew and some friends were there (Andrew Holbrook is his friend and he was fighting-lost, 2nd quick KO loss) and he and his gf ended up sharing elevator with Thiago Alves the next morning. Said he seemed hungover and cranky.

Shady is putting it nicely. Cormier cheated lol. It was only a pound that he would have probably been able to cut with the extra two hours he had anyway so I don't think it matters but still, he cheated. 

Apparently Rumble's camp want to file a complaint now: http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/19128837/anthony-johnson-file-formal-complaint-daniel-cormier-weigh-controversy

I don't know how much influence the UFC itself has at those weigh-ins but I'm sure they were willing to do pretty much anything to make sure that fight didn't fall through. The card was light on "star power" to begin with, DC v Rumble getting canceled would have pretty much tanked it. 

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

I had no plans of ordering the fight and only did because my nephew wanted to see it and paid half. I still think I got ripped off even at half price.

Cormier-Johnson, horrible horrible fight. Another one where it seemed like the guy knew he couldn't win and just quit. I mean damn he gave up his neck and was in the choke hold for a like a second and tapped out. IMO, it was just a pay day for him.

Completely agree. Rumble just quit. He didn't fight him, didn't use his tactics, and then once Cormier was on his back, he just went out of his way to tap. Which he sort of admitted afterwards when he said announced his premature retirement. Doesn't like to wrestle. Maybe don't using wrestling as your tactic then, when in all the other fights, you knocked guys out?

• 3 weeks later...

Joshua I think. It depends on how much Klitschko's got left, if he's going to look as laboured as he did in the Fury fight (admittedly Joshua probably won't be as awkward as Fury), perhaps even worse with the time he's had off at his age it's hard to see him winning. On the other hand if he's been able to get anywhere near back to his best it's a massive step up from what Joshua's faced so far.

22 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Joshua I think. It depends on how much Klitschko's got left, if he's going to look as laboured as he did in the Fury fight (admittedly Joshua probably won't be as awkward as Fury), perhaps even worse with the time he's had off at his age it's hard to see him winning. On the other hand if he's been able to get anywhere near back to his best it's a massive step up from what Joshua's faced so far.

I think Joshua's style is such that even if Wlad's age is showing, he doesn't have to be a lot less laboured than against Fury to land something big on Joshua. Joshua, after all, will come straight at him, with none of the twitchy movements that Fury gave him.

It's whether Joshua has the nous to time his attacks right that's the big question for me. He isn't going to come at it with a lot of guile or disguise, that's just not him, so it's all about picking the right moment. If he doesn't, Wlad's got big chances.

54 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I think Joshua's style is such that even if Wlad's age is showing, he doesn't have to be a lot less laboured than against Fury to land something big on Joshua. Joshua, after all, will come straight at him, with none of the twitchy movements that Fury gave him.

It's whether Joshua has the nous to time his attacks right that's the big question for me. He isn't going to come at it with a lot of guile or disguise, that's just not him, so it's all about picking the right moment. If he doesn't, Wlad's got big chances.

Don't get me wrong, Klitschko's almost certainly still a good to very good heavyweight, if he catches Joshua clean he'll probably knock him out.

The issue for me is what's made Klitschko stand out as a great heavyweight over the years is his ability to control the pace and distance a fight is fought at using his size, strength and his jab. The size and strength bit isn't going to work against Joshua and if he looks as laboured throwing his jab as he did against Fury I think he's in trouble. He might win if he ends up having to mix it up against Joshua but I'd have Joshua as a strong favourite.

Great fight.

Fair play to Klitschko, I thought he'd probably lose because he might not have it anymore but he was excellent. The way he bounced back after the first knockdown was phenomenal. Joshua showed a lot to dig it out after looking in so much trouble in the middle rounds as well.

Great fight. I am up for a re-match. Just do it.

I felt Joshua deserved it and yet Klitschko very clearly could have finished Joshua when he sent him to the canvas and spent the remaining minute of that round missing Joshua every single time.

The fight was like seeing a superstar spar against a taller guy who is told not to do anything offensive, and put up a defense but not really block. It was pathetic. Canelo destroyed him but never hurt him, so that was even worse on the entertainment front.

The best part was seeing GGG come out at the end. But then they tried to interview him and it just gets awkward because of the language barrier.

Archived