Young Adult Books: Discuss!

LugaJetboyGirl

53 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Very excited for The Wicked King and King of Scars this month!

Re: TA and NR I saw some of it on Instagram. It was kneejerk and ill-advised but I still have her book on my TBR. It wasn't cool at all, but I'll chalk it up to youthful emotion? and hope it was a learning moment. 

In other YA author news, this is just crazypants. 

http://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/author-kathleen-hale-who-stalked-goodreads-reviewer-to-release-new-essay-collection.php

Oh dear.

A little more on the J side than YA, but I liked Arlo Finch a lot. Family moves back to mom's home town in Colorado (Dad is stuck in China), where scouting badges represent a lot more than just helping old ladies across the road. It's a beautiful take on making a place magical, on the strength of friendship and team work, and on creating your own path. Yes, there are a few overused tropes, like the bad guy bully squad, but the danger feels both immediate and meaningful. A fresh take on the Fae, and the meeting of two worlds.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2017 at 3:32 AM, kairparavel said:

I finished Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom this long weekend. Enjoyed them immensely. I would look forward to a movie version. And now I've cleared the deck for Tower of Dawn coming out tonight. Happy Chaol Day, @lady narcissa!

Would you settle for a Netflix show instead?

https://www.tor.com/2019/01/10/leigh-bardugo-shadow-and-bone-tv-adaptation-eric-heisserer/

Leigh Bardugo’s Grishaverse is coming to Netflix! The streaming service has greenlit Shadow and Bone, a fantasy television series from Bird Box and Arrival screenwriter Eric Heisserer that will combine Bardugo’s Grisha Trilogy and Six of Crows duology into one serialized narrative.

9 hours ago, kairparavel said:

It's pretty great! Let the dream casting begin.

I noticed that Sean O'Pry tweeted his congratulations to Leigh.  I'm sure he called his agent as soon as he heard the news.  The whole thing hinges on the Darkling casting for me.

I've got thoughts on The Wicked King.  Just haven't been able to put them together.

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Didn’t see used to post here before she hit it big?

I seem to remember she posted a bit in the 'Boarders writing a novel' thread before she was published. I think she's also been to a few BWB-related events, I met her at Titancon in 2012 just after her first book was published.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, kairparavel said:

Happy King of Scars Day!  

I have to say I was not too excited about this.....I haven't read the Six of Crows duology.  I was never a Nikolai fan.  I can totally remember Leigh trying to sell me on him before Siege came out.  She was telling me I'd like him so much more than the Darkling.  But I wasn't sold.  And so I really had limited interest in this book.  I knew I'd probably read it some day but not run out to the store today sort of thing.  But for some reason, this evening, after I saw your post and knew I was going to respond with my disinterest but then I had a...premonition.  And I searched one word on Twitter and *sawspoilers*...……….……………...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Needless to say my interest in this book has skyrocketed!!!!  By a millionfold.  *squee*

15 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I started The Wicked King and quickly realized I had little memory of the happenings in The Cruel Prince. So, a reread of TCP needs to happen first. 

Yeah, I reread TCP before TWK but I almost think I regret that now.  I think what I disliked the most about TWK was it wasn't TCP and I think it suffered for me reading them back to back like that.  When I first read TCP it felt like a really unique telling of faerie.  It was a story I hadn't read before.  Whereas TWK felt like a story I had read all too many times before.  In a lot of ways it reminded me of the faerie in Seanan McGuire's October Daye series.  It's not a bad book.  But it wasn't what TCP was.

I am currently reading The Winter of the Witch.  I felt like I should reread The Bear and the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower first.  But I could not muster the energy to reread them.  So I just dived right in and its going okay.  Arden does a pretty good job of refreshing our memory of what happened before without dragging it out and so I find everything that came before is coming back to me without needing to reread.  I'm only halfway through and I've got to say, Arden is doing a pretty great job with this story.

I've finished The Winter of the Witch.  A solid ending to the trilogy.  Liked the mix of the fantasy with the history and the religions.  I'll be interested in seeing what Arden comes up with next.

And now onto Six of Crows...I read the last chapter first, was delighted, and am now back at the beginning which had a most excellent opening chapter and then slowed down drastically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I re-read A Torch Against the Night to prepare me for A Reaper at the Gates (Sabaa Tahir). Both were on audiobook and I do recommend. ARatG was probably my favorite because of Helene, who was a character I didn't enjoy in the first two books. I'm very interested in how the fourth book wraps it all up. 

I also re-read The Cruel Prince to get me back up to speed for The Wicked King. Again both on audiobook. I really enjoyed TWK. I really like Jude, even when she makes poor decisions. I was glad it took place away from her interacting with Taryn for most of it. And there's Cardan. Cardan. <sigh>

I also read On the Come Up by Angie Thomas. I didn't love it as much as The Hate U Give but it was still very good. 

I have Blanca & Roja by Anna-Marie McLemore on my Kindle. I'm several chapters in but I'm not sure what I think about it.

I never did follow up...after a good beginning, King of Scars only ended up being a so so read for me.  Twas disappointed.  So batting only 1 out of 3 for satisfying YA reads this year.  I don't think there are any on the horizon that I'm really looking forward to.  I'll read the Lodestar nominations I haven't read yet but otherwise this might be a low YA read year for me unless something really jumps out.

Although kair if you are really gung ho about the Torch Against the Night books I might try the first one as I think I got it cheap for my kindle a while back. 

On 1/30/2019 at 2:56 AM, lady narcissa said:

I am currently reading The Winter of the Witch.  I felt like I should reread The Bear and the Nightingale and The Girl in the Tower first.  But I could not muster the energy to reread them.  So I just dived right in and its going okay.  Arden does a pretty good job of refreshing our memory of what happened before without dragging it out and so I find everything that came before is coming back to me without needing to reread.  I'm only halfway through and I've got to say, Arden is doing a pretty great job with this story.

I finished The Girl in Tower last week. I found it a little bit obviously YA in places. I don't know, it felt like it needed some editing as well. Story and characters are great but I'd like the prose to be a little 'cleaner'. I have been assured that the third book is better so I will get round to that one at some point this year.

20 hours ago, Isis said:

I finished The Girl in Tower last week. I found it a little bit obviously YA in places. I don't know, it felt like it needed some editing as well. Story and characters are great but I'd like the prose to be a little 'cleaner'. I have been assured that the third book is better so I will get round to that one at some point this year.

I think the second book in the series was my least favorite of the three.  I liked the third one much more, although I think the first one ranks top for me.  What I did like is they each had a different feel to them.  It worked as a cohesive trilogy but each book did its own thing.

4 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I think the second book in the series was my least favorite of the three.  I liked the third one much more, although I think the first one ranks top for me.  What I did like is they each had a different feel to them.  It worked as a cohesive trilogy but each book did its own thing.

I've only read the Bear and the Nightingale so far, not for lack of interest but because some other book always seems to get in the way of continuing. But I did think it was a really lovely folksy story and didn't really come across as too YA either. I do think the book stands fine on its own too. If I didn't know it was a trilogy I would have thought it was standalone. 

I'm also a sucker for this kind of folksy/fairytale-esque type of story. So this was always going to appeal to me. It held up well against Spinning Silver too, which was the book I read immediately afterwards 

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm also a sucker for this kind of folksy/fairytale-esque type of story. 

Have you read any of Leigh Bardugo's short stories?  "The Language of Thorns" has all of them.  But you can read at least one of them online on Tor's website.  But based on what you've said I think they are right up your alley.

Archived