Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

The spoilery happening wasn't exactly a surprise, but it's still sad.

Spoiler

The second episode was my favourite - I appreciated the decision to lighten the mood a touch with the Zeb/Sabine expedition, and relieved they didn't spend too long with Hera brooding. And the turn towards hope at the ending was lovely. 

I'm glad it looks as if we're going to see the Jedi Temple again. Force visions! Wheeee!! :D KotOR 1/2 must have trained me to lap up the mystical Jedi stuff a bit too much. The stuff that, in a way, TLJ and Luke in particular in TLJ were cocking a snook at.  

The big white wolf's hints about redeeming the past were pretty intriguing - I wonder where they're going to go with that?

Yeah I can't predict where it's going. I wasn't at all surprised by what happened, but it absolutely landed emotionally for me. I felt it was pretty well signalled by the episode and all the flags just increased its impact.

I think the only thing I really don't care for with Rebels this season is the importance of the wolves. Their mystery and connection to the Force feels stretched. I loved the Bandu (?) last season. He felt like a being with intense connection to the Force who stood outside the Jedi/Sith conflict. The wolves? They feel like an empty plot device to give Ezra guidance.

If that even makes sense...

Spoilering this in case the reason you guys aren't discussing it is because you haven't had a chance to watch yet:

Ahsoka lives! ...because time travel. I just hope she continues to live because if they brought her back from that fairly awesome death just to get her out of the OT by killing her off three episodes later that'd be really stupid! 

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Spoilering this in case the reason you guys aren't discussing it is because you haven't had a chance to watch yet:

Reveal hidden contents

Ahsoka lives! ...because time travel. I just hope she continues to live because if they brought her back from that fairly awesome death just to get her out of the OT by killing her off three episodes later that'd be really stupid! 

Yeah, I was glad for that.

Spoiler

I always cringe when time travel stuff is done, and I think this is a first for Star Wars. They kinda didn't care about details, such as how oddly time continues to move in a place where time is irrelevant, to allow the characters to linearly progress with the rest of the story. But whatever, AHSOKA LIVES!!! I, too, hope she doesn't just die at the end of the season. 

Ian McDiarmid coming back was also very nice!

Haven't caught up yet, but would anyone say that they'e ending Rebels in a manner that sets up the general background of the rest of the story in a proper way? I mean, know extended universe stuff accordingly when appropriate, but the stories did help flesh out a world where it seems inconceivable that Luke really was the Last Jedi...

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Haven't caught up yet, but would anyone say that they'e ending Rebels in a manner that sets up the general background of the rest of the story in a proper way? I mean, know extended universe stuff accordingly when appropriate, but the stories did help flesh out a world where it seems inconceivable that Luke really was the Last Jedi...

It's not over until after the weekend. The revelations in the previous episode do hint at what could be Ezra's fate and explain why he vanishes from the Star Wars universe before Ep IV (but could still show up later on).

Liked the recent pair of eps more than the earlier two, even if a lot of "Wolves at the Door" was stock Rebels material. 

I thought they might send Ezra and at least some of the gang through a portal into the future, where they get taught a lesson in plus ça change in Filoni's next series, potentially set during the rise of the First Order. However, the vanishing of the temple seemed fairly final in the second episode. 

Apparently Rebels got Ian McDiarmid back to voice the Emperor. Didn't realise it at the time. Thought they'd just employed a good mimic. 

They've also managed James Earl Jones for Vader. Apparently getting the villain voices right matters.

I don't think

Spoiler

Ahsoka is going to be in the finale - Filoni said he had to be very careful about her appearances in Rebels serving the story of Rebels, but her own story is to be told elsewhere. So she lives, but we'll have to wait for more details.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

They've also managed James Earl Jones for Vader. Apparently getting the villain voices right matters.

I don't think

Hide contents

Ahsoka is going to be in the finale - Filoni said he had to be very careful about her appearances in Rebels serving the story of Rebels, but her own story is to be told elsewhere. So she lives, but we'll have to wait for more details.

If I were running star wars I would pay James earl jones millions to read every word in the dictionary in different tones so I could use his voice forever.

2 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

If I were running star wars I would pay James earl jones millions to read every word in the dictionary in different tones so I could use his voice forever.

With the amount of filmography he’s done by now it’s probably very doable to replicate his voice now. They did it with Tarkin in Rogue One already. 

2 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I just realised the way I phrased that could have sounded like I disagreed. Their priorities are correct, and this would be a good investment.

I love the spirituality and mysticism that's being introduced in Star Wars, first in The Last Jedi, and now in Rebels. I makes the universe feel so much bigger, and fresher.

Spoiler

The finale will probably prove me wrong, but I have wondered in the past if rather than killing them off, Kanan and Ezra would instead be sent on a mission to the Unknown Regions to investigate whatever it is out there that Palpatine is interested in, returning a few years later. Kanan's out of the picture now, but I do think they could do that with Ahsoka and Ezra. It would be a convincing reason for why they aren't present in the OT, and would allow them to be present in the next animated series (not to mention, eventually meet Luke and Leia).

Caught up with S4 now and these last four episodes have been quite the doozies. WTF up with this time traveling Jedi temple? Ahsoka returning was what I immediately thought of when I heard them mention "doorways through time" because "AHSOKA LIVES!" But for how long? And Bridger, too? All the Jedi save for Obi-wan and Yoda should be dead in the timeline by ANH, right? 

14 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

All the Jedi save for Obi-wan and Yoda should be dead in the timeline by ANH, right? 

Dead or not actual Jedi by RotJ. In ANH, the Jedi are "all but extinct", which could allow for a number of scattered survivors like Ben. It's not till RotJ that Yoda tells Luke he'll be the last. Ahsoka explicitly rejected the Jedi order, and Ezra has only been trained by a former Padawan with influence from the Sith, Ahsoka, and a grey side entity, so it's not entirely unreasonable for Yoda to not count them compared to someone he's trained personally.

at the end of the day they expanded the franchise beyond the film. And given the Jedi are pretty much the defining feature of star wars the real answer is "we'd be stupid not to have more Jedi sprinkled around in that timeline because of a couple of lines of dialogue". Rebels would have been a lot less fun without all the additional force wielding characters and it seemed unlikely the show would end on such a dark note just to keep the idea Yoda, Luke and the Darths were all that were left.

I'm pleased the new films are expanding the force users. JJ initially seemed to miss an opportunity with the destruction of the Jedi academy but then he and moreso Rian showed the force was "awakening" and more were popping up again.

While the semantic argument is fine regarding Yoda my issue is that it makes him a bit of a prick deliberately misleading Luke in such a way.

But I've got used to the fact it was a necessity to disregard the idea there were only 2 Jedi and 2 Sith from the end of episode III.

Given the interviews Filoni has been doing I guess we'll hear about the new show as soon as rebels has ended or within a week. Most people seem to think it's going to be in between VI and VII which would make sense. And Filoni has said how he likes that the animated shows connect so here's hoping we see some members of the Ghost crew turn up.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

While the semantic argument is fine regarding Yoda my issue is that it makes him a bit of a prick deliberately misleading Luke in such a way.

Hardly out of character - he was already misleading Luke about Vader's identity!

6 hours ago, felice said:

Hardly out of character - he was already misleading Luke about Vader's identity!

True! It seems like part of being a Jedi is to be vague and misleading - especially with the few remaining. Even Luke got in on the act in his later years. Maybe he realised to play his cards close to his chest after that embarassing time he professed his love for a princess who later turned out to be his sister.

And those pesky droids.

I fully expect (and support) a retcon that Ezra is the "other" Yoda speaks of in RotJ. While I always loved the idea that Leia would become a force user (more overt than pulling herself back into the ship), that ship has sailed (well, post Disney).

Archived