Star Wars Rebels: How Does the Force Really Work? (spoilers for everything Star Wars)

Corvinus85

3 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I fully expect (and support) a retcon that Ezra is the "other" Yoda speaks of in RotJ. While I always loved the idea that Leia would become a force user (more overt than pulling herself back into the ship), that ship has sailed (well, post Disney).

I don't know that would make much sense because ghost Obi-Wan should also be aware of Ezra. Of course, Obi-Wan should also be aware of Leia. I think the context of the conversation between Yoda and Obi-Wan should be clarified that they were talking not simply about the existence of another Jedi, but about someone who could defeat Vader and Palpatine. I really don't think Ezra ever could; at best he could play a role.

19 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I could see Ezra being set up like Neville Longbottom in Harry Potter: the Other Chosen One

Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword trilogy had a similar idea, the hero learns at the end of his quest that one of the characters he met along the way was the Goddess's back up plan.  If the hero had failed, the kid he met would rise up at another crisis point in 20 or so years and try again to put the world on the right path.

Just thinking of all the Rebels stuff with Maul, Kenobi and the twin suns of Tatooine. 

The suns can symbolize Luke and Leia, but they could also stand for Luke and Ezra  in some sense - as twin chosen ones? 

Is Luke rather than Ezra the intended back up plan? After all, Ezra's been defeating imperials for years while Luke's been moping around his uncle's farm. 

Well it's done. They didn't directly link the show with the events of ANH and Rogue One, but I liked the epilogue that skips the whole war.

Spoiler

So everyone but Kanan survived, though Ezra's fate is uncertain. Interesting way how he got removed from the big picture, but at least he got his moment to shine against the Emperor. I wonder what Ahsoka did the whole time. And it saves them for possible links with the new trilogy.

I wish the show had continued, because now all these questions will probably be answered in books, comic books, maybe video games, and I don't know that I'll be able to keep track of it all.

Feloni did a really good job with this one, and I hope his role expands at LucasFilm. Btw, rumors are that the new animated series will be called Star Wars Resistance.

Can we post without spoiler tags?

Interesting way to keep Ezra (and Thrawn) out of the way for Episodes 4-6. And leaves Thrawn open to return too as the antagonist post-Battle of Endor. If I have one criticism of Feloni, it's the sentient/Force creatures that save the day (owls, wolves and the whale things). Yes, SW has a history of non-advanced beings overcoming tech-superior Empire, but they still feel off to me.

And I completely missed that Kanan and Hera were ... sharing a bunk. ;) 

And Ashoka lives to star in another series! Has there been any word when that might happen? When Disney launches their streaming service?

Disney is set to launch their streaming service in 2019, so I expect next year we'll get a new animated series. Also, it appears a live action series is in the works, but I don't have anything concrete to link to.

The wolves were well established, so I was ok with their use, and it was great seeing them slaughter the imperial troops. This is the closest this show came to being not for kids. The whales were also established, but I don't recall them being so strong that they could smash star destroyers to bits. That's the iffy part.

However, I was glad that Ezra defeated Thrawn by essentially using the force in this manner. This what the force is, the connection between all life. This is something Thrawn could not understand, because there is no piece of artwork that can truly symbolize what the force is, and all he understood of it was that it's power. I would say this is a nice callback to the discussion about the force in The Last Jedi.

Aww, I did like the finale. I was tremendously glad it didn't end with a massacre of the crew - and the new series that it sets up looks promising since plot-wise it has a bit more room for manoeuvre than its parent show. 

15 hours ago, Myrddin said:

And I completely missed that Kanan and Hera were ... sharing a bunk. ;)

I'm not entirely clear how she could have an apparently human kid, or any kid at all with a human father (this isn't Star Trek!). If he's adopted, who's the biological mother?

5 hours ago, felice said:

I'm not entirely clear how she could have an apparently human kid, or any kid at all with a human father (this isn't Star Trek!). If he's adopted, who's the biological mother?

It's established canon. I believe there were some human/twi'lek kids in the Clone Wars, too.

The one thing that kinda bothers me, because I think it affects continuity, is the outstanding success of the Rebels on Lothal. (Don't get me wrong, I love how Rebels ended, great moments there)

Rogue One was made to tell the story of the rebels who stole the plans for the Death Star, and, per original title crawl, achieved the first major victory over the Empire. Up until now, you could argue that what the characters of Rebels achieved were minor victories, but this has to be a major victory: the Empire lost a planet with important production facilities, the Imperial garrison was entirely decimated, they lost an entire fleet, and a grand admiral. So I don't think we can say the battle at Scarif was the first major victory. But maybe this battle took place right after Scarif. We see that Hera and the Ghost had managed to leave Lothal to seek out extra help, so hopefully it will be revealed that she took a detour to Yavin, to seek help there as well, and ended joining the fight.

Maybe Scarif was the first major battle for the Rebel Alliance as a group. Lothal was basically the Ghost crew and a few add ons (Rex's crew, Hondo and V'zir (whatever his name is). While Hera and Rex went on to join the Alliance formally, Sabine I guess did not?

Also, can we assume the Ghost will be edited into the next release of Return of the Jedi? :lol: 

Even a few days later, there's still so much to process. I think I'll just go by character:

• Ezra: His sacrifice was very well-done, and I'm glad to see that at least one of my predictions came true, with Ezra and Thrawn being blasted into outer space (presumably to the Unknown Regions). My favorite scene was actually when Sabine distracted the others so that Ezra could escape. Something about the music and the way the two were able to communicate silently just really struck a chord with me. Their bond has grown so much.
    If there's one thing that I didn't like about Ezra's arc this season, it's that I found his reaction to Kanan's death rather. . .lacking. It was surprisingly unemotional for a typically emotional character. Him saying, "Goodbye, Kanan" to the loth-wolf was incredibly touching, however.
  • Hera and Kanan: As much as I love their relationship, her only telling him that she loved him right before he died seems like a very odd decision in retrospect, since, well, she's been calling him "love" since season one, so there's that, and because they've had such a deep emotional bond for so long now. I realize the point was that Hera was more focused on the Rebellion than her personal life up until then, but it just kind of fell flat for me.
    I'm also a little torn on Jacen. On the one hand, Kanan and Hera have a kid, cool! On the other hand, it kind of just came out of nowhere. It's definitely heartbreaking that Kanan will never know his son, and it's one of those tropes that I'm not very fond of.
  • Sabine, Zeb, and Kallus: I've grown to like Sabine a lot more over the years, and I've always liked Zeb, although he doesn't really have an arc of his own. Kallus is a stand-out character for me; I wish we had gotten a chance to see more of him.
  • Rex and Ahsoka: I'm glad both of The Clone Wars characters made it to the end. It looks like Ahsoka got Galdalf'd, so as of now I'm guessing she was on some sort of spiritual journey during the course of the OT, which would explain why she wasn't around. I hope that both characters are able to meet Luke and Leia in the future.

Overall, I really enjoyed Rebels, and I look forward to whatever animated show they put out next.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The one thing that kinda bothers me, because I think it affects continuity, is the outstanding success of the Rebels on Lothal.

They made it clear that they were acting independently of the "official" Rebel Alliance, so it technically doesn't count as a Rebel victory. A bit of a stretch, but I can live with it. And I'm not entirely sure that removing two Jedi from the fight doesn't count as a net Imperial victory!

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The one thing that kinda bothers me, because I think it affects continuity, is the outstanding success of the Rebels on Lothal. (Don't get me wrong, I love how Rebels ended, great moments there)

Rogue One was made to tell the story of the rebels who stole the plans for the Death Star, and, per original title crawl, achieved the first major victory over the Empire. Up until now, you could argue that what the characters of Rebels achieved were minor victories, but this has to be a major victory: the Empire lost a planet with important production facilities, the Imperial garrison was entirely decimated, they lost an entire fleet, and a grand admiral. So I don't think we can say the battle at Scarif was the first major victory. But maybe this battle took place right after Scarif. We see that Hera and the Ghost had managed to leave Lothal to seek out extra help, so hopefully it will be revealed that she took a detour to Yavin, to seek help there as well, and ended joining the fight.

I don't think the Rebel Alliance could claim the victory on Lothal as they had basically written off the planet and offered little support.    And the Empire may have called the loss of the fleet and base a "natural" disaster rather than a defeat, as the bulk of the losses were caused by space whales.

Scarif was the Rebel Alliance's first major planned assault that they committed to and succeeded.

Also, Hera may have arrived at Yavin to report their success on Lothal just as the assault on Scarif was being launched and got recruited to help.   So most heard about Scarif before they heard of the success on Lothal.

And finally, defeating the empire in a pitched battle with a fleet of volunteers is better for recruiting purposes than trying to explain what happened on Lothal with wolves and whales and the Force.

Archived