I don't want the big hardcover

Ordos

15 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Here is a fun fact that you may or maynot know already, but just in case, or if anyone else is interested, Roy was the Pyromancer in that show. His line, "our order does not deal in pig shit!", is the best of the entire series :lol:

I agree!  Definitely one of my favorite parts of the show.  He was originally cast (or intended to play) Grand Maester Pycelle, but had to withdraw for health reasons.

First, I will buy the e-book version as soon as it is released. I started reading ASOIAF a few years ago (post-ADWD) and only have e-books so far.

when the series is completed (hopefully soon), I will buy a complete set of books for my bookshelf - hardback, hopefully a leather-version (like my 50th-anniversary-LOTR-book :wub: )

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has said this yet but I usually get the hardcover from my local library when it comes out ( need to get on the waiting list early!) to satisfy my need to read it and then buy the softcover when it comes out.

I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks to get my hands on it and avoid the internet for a bit. Would prefer to digest it myself and not just race through it and hop online to fill my head with other people's ideas. 

On 1/11/2017 at 1:46 AM, Ordos said:

So I want to know; will your eagerness to get the book make you buy the first edition or like me will you wait a few months until the smaller softcovers come out?

At this point I would buy it even if it were engraved on stone tablets.

Who am I kidding, I would buy it ESPECIALLY if it were engraved on stone tablets, that would be boss.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2017 at 4:46 AM, Ordos said:

I'm very confident that Winds of Winter will be out this year or next year. I'll be very surprised if it was delayed until 2019.

But when it is released, I don't want to immediately buy the first copy because they are those large hardcover books. All of my Song of Ice and Fire books are the smaller softcovers and the cover drawings are not all matching. Some have the regular drawings of helmets, shields and sword hilts but two of them have photos from the TV series. So it's not all matching for a perfect collection. I know that some of you like the first edition hardcovers because they are of great value in the future, but I only started reading in 2012 so I did not get my hands on the earlier hardcovers. Buying a hardcover now will only make my collection look more mismatched. 

Also, I prefer the softcover because they are not big bulky things to bring around when on the move. I am often seen in public with a book in my hand in case I have to wait for something and I have something to read. If I'm on the plane, it will make my bag so much heavier. I don't worry about keeping the book in mint condition because I have no intention on giving the books away or selling them as second hand until maybe when I'm 80 years old.

By now you will be saying 'then just get it as an e-book'. But that's a complicated issue and I'm not getting into that. Plus I really like paper. Finally, I believe smaller book means less paper used.

So I want to know; will your eagerness to get the book make you buy the first edition or like me will you wait a few months until the smaller softcovers come out?

I also prefer softcover to hard, and only ever buy hardcovers when it is the only version available of a book I don't want to wait for. TWOW isn't a book I'm willing to wait for, so I'll be buying the hardcover as soon as its available.

1 hour ago, PCK said:

The issue with e-books is the DRM. What happens to your collection if Amazon or B&N is no longer there?

I save a copy of the file on my computer for this occasion. Should amazon for some reason really delete the e-book on my kindle, I would crack the file, so I could still read the book.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived