Queen of [Love and?] Beauty

The Twinslayer

On 1/18/2017 at 5:38 PM, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

I'm of the opinion that at least on Lyanna's part she did fall for Rhaegar initially.  It didn't hurt that she was also pushed by an undesirable betrothal to Robert Baratheon.  We know from Ned that Lyanna was aware of his womanizing nature and didn't care for it.  Her personality type is described as very spirited and willful as well as a bit of a romantic -- she was moved to tears by Rhaegar's song at the tourney feast.  I do think it was genuine feeling at the very least on her part and was most likely that she willingly ran away with him. ...

As I read this just now with my first coffee, I was struck by this sentence 

It didn't hurt that she was also pushed by an undesirable betrothal to Robert Baratheon.  We know from Ned that Lyanna was aware of his womanizing nature and didn't care for it.  Her personality type is described as very spirited and willful as well as a bit of a romantic -- she was moved to tears by Rhaegar's song at the tourney feast.

Of course.

Miss Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.

Miss Marianne Dashwood could have been described thus, "very spirited and willful as well as a bit of a romantic ". She was a horsewoman as well. Her hyper-romantic attachment to Willoughby very nearly leads her to death in the novel and she's only saved by modern medicine. Well, modern by Miss Jane Austen's standard.

Willoughby is a complex character- selfish, spend-thrift yet genuinely enamoured of Miss Marianne. 

At the end of the day, I doubt this curious little similarity has very much significance, yet I can't help thinking it may shed a light on the relationship between Lyanna and Rhaegar.

Archived