Ser Scot A Ellison

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn/The Heart of what was Lost/The Last King of Osten Ard

On 9/26/2018 at 3:19 AM, Calibandar said:

Stunning cover it must be said.

Much, much better than the generic castle of the first. Hopefully this one has more meat on the bone.

Avoiding the rest of the thread since I've not read this yet, so, if someone could answer this for me: 

I have the original set of books, and am aware there's a short novella and now a new book. 

Is this new book part of a new series? Or is it a one-off tale? 

14 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Avoiding the rest of the thread since I've not read this yet, so, if someone could answer this for me: 

I have the original set of books, and am aware there's a short novella and now a new book. 

It's a bridge book that does have information and characters that are pertenant to the new series.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:10 AM, IlyaP said:

The situation we have now is:

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

1. The Dragonbone Chair

2. Stone of Farewell

3. To Green Angel Tower (split in two for paperback, Part 1 and Part 2 in the USA and Siege and Storm in other countries)

The Burning Man: a short story and prequel to Memory, Sorrow and Thorn but not hugely relevant to it.

The Heart of What Was Lost: this is the bridging book. It takes place immediately after To Green Angel Tower and introduces some characters and situations that will be relevant in the sequel trilogy.

The Last King of Osten Ard

1. The Witchwood Crown (out now, Book 1 of the new trilogy)

2. Empire of Grass (out next year)

3. The Navigator's Children (out in 2020, probably)

The Shadow of Things to Come: this is a prequel to everything so far, but won't be released until after the new trilogy is complete.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:54 PM, Lord Patrek said:

Yeah, the biggest SFF disappointment of 2017 for me. . . :(

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.ca/2017/05/the-witchwood-crown.html

Me too. I rather wish Simon wasn't in it and we started with a descendant.  There was something depressing about seeing him old and all the reminiscing took away from the narrative.  I am a huge fan of the original trilogy, it's in my top five series, and loved Otherland and War of the Flowers (not a fan of his other 2 series, which I didn't finish) so my expectations were high.  Unfortunately, the book felt contrived and flat.  

I will still be reading the next one though

On 10/7/2018 at 10:02 AM, Werthead said:

The Last King of Osten Ard

1. The Witchwood Crown (out now, Book 1 of the new trilogy)

2. Empire of Grass (out next year)

3. The Navigator's Children (out in 2020, probably)

Right, so, I should hold off until the new trilogy is finished before bounding into the series.