Westeros Fantasy Baseball 2017

Week

We're a bit early, but wanted to float out a thread to gauge any interest. WJ ran one league last year - auction, roto, ending at the end of July.

Results and Thread:

Final Standings

1) Whiskeyjack - 104.5
2) Weekapaug - 94.5
3) Bronn - 81
4) Grozeng - 66.5
5) Fuentez - 61.5
6) Jaime - 58
7) ArchmaesterPhilip - 57.5
8) Mexal - 52
9) Pyroclastic Flow - 46
10) Ross - 38.5

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/124011-westeros-fantasy-baseball/&page=1

Firstly, I'll assume everyone is back in (tagging you all...I think that'll help) - although Ross was not active at all...let me know if you are back in and if you have a preference for Full or Half season.

Personally, I liked the half-season until the end where A) I didn't have enough time to catch up to WJ :P and .B) I did miss following prospects coming up in the second-half and September. I am tempted to say I'd prefer a full season, however the time crunch in the dog days and early fall are tough.

Then determine if there are any open spots or if we need to have an additional league.

1) @Whiskeyjack - 
2) Weekapaug - Full/Half
3) Bronn - Full/Half
4) @grozeng -
5) @fuentez1138 - 
6) @Jaime L - 
7) @Arch-MaesterPhilip - 
8) @Mexal - 
9) @PyroclasticFlow - 
10) @Ross

Reminder of the setup from last year (yahoo):

League details:

Auction draft.  $300 budget for each team.  Need to spend at least $1 on each roster spot.
Roster positions are C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 5 OF, 2 UT, 7 SP, 3 RP, 6 Bench.
Scoring is roto.  R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters.  QS, SO, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB for pitchers.
Daily changes.  And we end our season after 4 months, with July 31st as the final day of the year. 

Fantasy baseball is 98% about misery and the brutal daily grind so I'm in favor of the full season. The half season just feels weird and unnatural to me. The MLB season continues but my fantasy team does not. Losing out on Arenado's awesome second half two years ago killed me. And I'm sure I feel the same way about guys on my team last year if I could remember a single one. 

1) WhiskeyJack - Half
2) Weekapaug - Full/Half
3) Bronn - Full/Half
4) @grozeng -
5) Fuentez - Half/Full
6) JaimeL - Prefer Full 
7) Arch-MaesterPhilip - Full/Half
8) Mexal - Half
9) PyroclasticFlow - Full/Half
10) JJ - Full

Still waiting on Groz, Fuentez, Mex, and Ross (or a new team if anyone is interested who has played some competitive FBB before).

I would like to lean towards a full season ... WJ, you might just have to deal. :P

Edit: Thinking about Mexal's comment - I'm kinda leaning back towards half only as well.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Half. I get annoyed at the end of the season where I can't catch up but I've done the grind so many times that I know how I feel getting into August/September.

Hmm, true. That push also coincides with Fall/August Vacation/School/Football/etc. which is not a great time for most.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, probably a more appropriate time post-SB.

Reminder of the setup from last year (yahoo):

League details:

Auction draft.  $300 budget for each team.  Need to spend at least $1 on each roster spot.
Roster positions are C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, CI, MI, 5 OF, 2 UT, 7 SP, 3 RP, 6 Bench.
Scoring is roto.  R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS for hitters.  QS, SO, SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB for pitchers.
Daily changes.  And we end our season after 4 months, with July 31st as the final day of the year. 

Any thoughts on changes? I wasn't sure that I was going to like QS, but I also don't really like wins - need a stat there and I kind of have issues with both. I also support converting at least one of the SP spots to regular P or change them all to P (though I do like the organizational aesthetic of SP and RP slots separated). Thoughts?

Also, any thoughts on going back to holds? Maybe reduce the IP (fewer starters) and add holds? The stat can be pretty dumb (e.g. LOOGY giving up a hit to the sole batter they face and then getting a hold) but I do like all aspects of the game brought in.

3 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

Not hip to holds.  It is a stat that rewards quantity over quality.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I remember feeling pretty mixed about it the one time we tried it (or maybe I tried it in another league..)

Archived