So, who was the oathebreaker?

Onion Hound

On 1/17/2017 at 0:05 PM, Onion Hound said:

In the season 6 episode "Oathebreaker "? This is still bugging me. I made a thread on here last year stating my theory on why it was Arthur Dayne....no one seems to like that theory. In the episode, if I remember correctly, all that happens is Ned vs Athur at the Toj, Dany gets taken by the Dothraki, and Jon leaves the Nights watch after punishing his killers? So who is it? Is it just a badly titled episode? If it's not Arthur Dayne  (for breaking his kings guard oathe and having a child), what am I missing? 

Everyone is an oathbreaker in this episode.

The men of the Night's Watch attacking Jon Snow, their Lord Commander, broke their oath to honor the Night's Watch.

Sam is breaking his oath (vow) by having a family with Gilly and baby Sam.

Daenerys broke the oath by not going to Vaes Dothrak immediately on Khal Drogo's death, at least in the eyes of the Dothraki.

Arya breaks oath by lying to get her sight back.

Umber uses Roose Bolton's oathbreak with Robb Stark as reasoning for him not supporting Ramsay as Keeper of the North, but breaks his own oath to the Starks by handing Rickon over to Ramsay.

And on some level, much like the discussion with Jon Snow, Ned Stark is an oathbreaker. In order to keep Lyanna's secret, his story involves fathering a bastard child, breaking his vows to his wife.

On 3/7/2017 at 2:30 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

I agree that it was enough to obsolve him of his vows but it is/was significant enough to be spreading like wildfire across Westeros. He should be famous all over Nd the northern lords should have flocked to him, if,if he told them and showed them his wounds.

He's got some nasty scars but that doesn't prove anything. The only witnesses to Jon's resurrection are a bunch of criminal conscripts in the Night's Watch, a bunch of wildling invaders, a red priestess fanatic and an upjumped smuggler. In other words, no one with any credibility to the Lords of the North. Jon's wise not to make a big deal about his resurrection, it would only make him lose credibility which is already stretched being he's telling stories of ice zombies coming to invade. 

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

He's got some nasty scars but that doesn't prove anything. The only witnesses to Jon's resurrection are a bunch of criminal conscripts in the Night's Watch, a bunch of wildling invaders, a red priestess fanatic and an upjumped smuggler. In other words, no one with any credibility to the Lords of the North. Jon's wise not to make a big deal about his resurrection, it would only make him lose credibility which is already stretched being he's telling stories of ice zombies coming to invade. 

Well, then he is an Oathbreaker if he does not explain it. Reputations matter. Just ask Lady Bolton as in Sansa Stark Lannister Bolton.

11 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Well, then he is an Oathbreaker if he does not explain it. Reputations matter. Just ask Lady Bolton as in Sansa Stark Lannister Bolton.

"For all nights to come" he's an oathbreaker no matter what. I find the argument of "screw it these asshats tried to murder me" much more persuasive than splitting hairs searching for a loophole in the wording of a vow. Which doesn't get around the aforementioned phrase.

7 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

"For all nights to come" he's an oathbreaker no matter what. I find the argument of "screw it these asshats tried to murder me" much more persuasive than splitting hairs searching for a loophole in the wording of a vow. Which doesn't get around the aforementioned phrase.

an Oathbraker and/or desserter will always have that over his head. A once died and resurrected man with a good purpose for a desperate cause has the potential to rally masses to that cause.

8 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

an Oathbraker and/or desserter will always have that over his head. A once died and resurrected man with a good purpose for a desperate cause has the potential to rally masses to that cause.

Jon will always have being an oathbreaker over his head. I'm sure Littlefinger will be the one hitting him with that the hardest behind the scenes. That doesn't mean he didn't have good reason for doing so and the potential to rally masses to his cause. He basically already has.

Archived