US Politics: Now with Alt Facts

davos

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

WTF???????

Little hands signed a bill that makes his inauguration National Day of Patriotic Devotion.

Guess national day of Thanksgiving is already taken.

It sure sounds like North Korea and other totalitarian dictatorships.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/23/trump-names-his-inauguration-day-a-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion/?utm_term=.4c5d238cdf3e

https://twitter.com/search?q=National+Patriotism+day&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

Damn, I am trying really hard not to laugh at the misfortune of Americans having to live under that President. But really, just damn. You gotta be kidding.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

But this isn't every year, right?  Just that specific (horrible, deeply upsetting) day.  That's how I read it.  January 20,2017 is retroactively the Supreme Leader's Orange Stain Thing's day.

The President can make a national holiday for any individual day.  He could make Jan 20 a holiday for every day of his presidency, but not every day for perpetuity (that requires Congress).  It doesn't seem terribly useful to make a day that has already passed a holiday though, so I assume this will be in effect for the rest of his presidency. 

7 minutes ago, Leofric said:

I'm sure next week he'll break ground on the Trump Monument, it'll be even biglier than Washington's.

Wouldn't he be more likely to simply put big neon letters spelling Trump down the front of the Washington Monument?

I'm not sure why the GOP doesn't just line the photo op for anti-women legislation with women.  Considering the number of misogynist women there are, it shouldn't be hard to find just 7 who would want to stand next to that thing and smile like it's super amazing that a bunch of men are determining what health care choices they are allowed to make.

Trump signed an executive order to move forward on the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, not surprising since he has investments in it. Sadly, the people living there will now have to live with the possibility that their water could become contaminated, not unlike the water in Flint, Michigan.

Yes, because a petroleum pipeline was absolutely responsible for the contamination n the pipes of the drinking water system in Flint.  GG.

Here, you're beloved  liberal CNN couldn't possibly be wrong, right.  http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/us/flint-water-crisis-fast-facts/

No mention of petroleum pipeline failures or accidents to be seen.  Oh my, actual facts from liberal sources overriding liberal ideas...it can't be.

41 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wouldn't he be more likely to simply put big neon letters spelling Trump down the front of the Washington Monument?

We need to go to fiction in order to come up with what he might be thinking...

"Ready when you are Herr Trump"

"Give me a T!"

3 minutes ago, SerHaHa said:

Yes, because a petroleum pipeline was absolutely responsible for the lead in the pipes of the drinking water system in Flint.  GG.

Not what was being said, but nice try GG.

Trump signed an executive order to move forward on the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, not surprising since he has investments in it. Sadly, the people living there will now have to live with the possibility that their water could become contaminated, not unlike the water in Flint, Michigan.

Uh, okay, what was being said then?  Is that not an obvious statement that somehow Keystone XL will possibly cause contamination, NOT UNLIKE THE WATER IN FLINT.  Or can you not read?

What does "not unlike" mean to you?  A double negative = a British way of writing a positive.  "Like the water in Flint".  Well, again, the water in Flit was in no way affected by a petro pipeline.

4 minutes ago, SerHaHa said:

Yes, because a petroleum pipeline was absolutely responsible for the contamination n the pipes of the drinking water system in Flint.  GG.

Right state, wrong town. Battle Creek was affected when over 800,000 gallons of oil spilled into the Kalamazoo River when an Enbridge pipeline leaked in 2010.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/38435210/ns/us_news-environment/t/pipeline-leak-pollutes-major-michigan-river/#.WIeWb4WcE5s

If all of Trump's trade plans come through, be prepared for massive inflation, folks, you've been importing deflation from China for lots of years now.

As someone who lived through horrific inflation for years in the 70s and 80s, let me tell you, it's soul destroying. If you think wages are poor now, wait until everything goes up every month, except your pay. Great for real estate values, of course. (I'm looking at you, Mr. President). And great for all those seniors who vote who have interest bearing investments, because they'll think they're making more. For a while.

Fracking -- and pipeline breaks and railroad crashes -- contaminate the soile, the aquifer and the ground water.  Western ND's croplands are already suffering from it.  Not to mention lakes and rivers.  Ask the farmers there.  They'll tell ya.

We don't need this rubbish anyway!  It's that the bizez that have been making billions out of oil for generations have bought the politicians to shove this rubbish down the world's throats when we have all these other alternative energy sources.  The petroleum used in plastics, cosmetics, hair styling products, etc. evidently doesn't provide enough profit.

36 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Does he own stock in Nestle? 

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

WTF???????

Little hands signed a bill that makes his inauguration National Day of Patriotic Devotion.

Guess national day of Thanksgiving is already taken.

It sure sounds like North Korea and other totalitarian dictatorships.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/23/trump-names-his-inauguration-day-a-national-day-of-patriotic-devotion/?utm_term=.4c5d238cdf3e

https://twitter.com/search?q=National+Patriotism+day&ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^search

North America is Best America!

From the previous thread, @Altherion wrote

This is a case of gaining the world in exchange for one's soul. The Republican party is in power now, yes... but it is not McConnell's Republican party anymore -- it's Trump's party now. As people have noted above, they've turned 180 degrees on issues both serious and trivial.

And that would matter  to someone who is an ideologue. McConnell isn't. He is happy to break any and all ideologies if it means getting power. He stated as much 8 years ago. You say it like selling his soul is somehow a bad thing for him. He doesn't care.

Again, why? The one thing Sanders has that is quite rare among politicians is that he has stuck to many important and unpopular (within the elite, at least) views for decades. I don't see any benefit to abandoning them now simply because Trump happens to be on the same side on some of them.

Again, not asking Sanders to abandon TPP - but why should he stick with voting for a DHS guy who has advocated torture? Why stick with Mattis who had to get a waiver for the job? What specific principle is he abandoning by voting for either? 

The point here is exactly what you say - that voting against Mattis is an unpopular vote. Mattis is well liked and respected by almost everyone - myself included. I think he's a great candidate for the job, and I think he would have been a great candidate had he been with Sanders or Clinton too. The point isn't about that - it's to show symbolic resistance. Someone needs to be the one that is staying away from all of this mess, because if it turns out to be a disaster you need to have your hands clean so you remain ideologically pure. 

Archived