Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

Yeah, I get the principle. I was wondering about the amount lost in such a short period of time.

It sounds not only unpleasant to me but probably unhealthy as well.

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Yeah, I get the principle. I was wondering about the amount lost in such a short period of time.

It sounds not only unpleasant to me but probably unhealthy as well.

Yes, I thought extreme cutting by diuretics was a thing of the past after people dropped dead, had heart attacks or sustained kidney damage.  ~25lbs in three days sounds like severe & health-threatening weight loss, even for someone as big as Luke.

I decided today I was mostly over my cold and ready for some exercise.  Definitely not yet ready for heavy weights, so I settled for rowing.  I did 3x1km because I couldn't do 2km straight.  Times were 3:50, 4:00 and 4:09, with fatigue building noticeably.  It's always a nuisance when you have to build back up after something as trivial as a cold.  I'll try some more cardio during the week and save the weights for next weekend.  

Tuesday I did an hour of elliptical for a light workout.  It's convenient that you can watch a TV episode on an iPad during that workout.  It doesn't have a lot else to recommend it though.

Tonight I went to the gym for a weights session: shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  it went well but I lost a rep or two on the heaviest sets relative to my PB level just before vacation.  Good to be back. 

On 25/06/2017 at 9:16 PM, Isis said:

What are you doing, cycling into work? Or cycling to the station? Or just cycling for fun?

My own exercise is limited by My Screaming Piriformis, which is still not better after physio. All I can manage is two hot yoga classes a week plus a 3-4k run on weekends. Bah.

i live 1.5 mile from train station, and work 2 mile from station at the other end so i cycle those bits, its 50 mile to work so probably too far, though there is a quick train that gets me half way home and i'm thinking of cycling from there. Otherwise i tend to cycle 25-30 mile for fun on days off, or 15-20 on days when i'm working (after early turn, before late turn).  

I decided not to equip a home gym in the garage in the end, it was going to be far too depressing training in there and i need the motivation.  just had to pay membership fees for gym for first time in 12 years as work has always had one, that is a bit of a pisser. 

Its not quite as bad as curling in the squat rack I'm getting sick of the Fill the Liter Bottle at the Drinking Fountain Guy.  Never seen anyone change the filter on a fountain so its just regular tap water anyway isnt it?

I've not been to the gym for probably a couple of years now, mainly because I don't particularly like it and object to paying for it. A couple of the guys at rugby are friends with a fitness trainer who owns a gym so they've organised some Saturday morning sessions of circuits for us and I went to the first one this morning. Bloody hell,  it was noticeable I haven't done any weights for a while. I've ripped my hands doing hang cleans as well.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I've not been to the gym for probably a couple of years now, mainly because I don't particularly like it and object to paying for it. A couple of the guys at rugby are friends with a fitness trainer who owns a gym so they've organised some Saturday morning sessions of circuits for us and I went to the first one this morning. Bloody hell,  it was noticeable I haven't done any weights for a while. I've ripped my hands doing hang cleans as well.

That's slightly ironic.  I notice Ireland now has a lot more guys lifting weights in gyms because the popularity of rugby (as a spectator sport) has increased the expectation for a muscular physique.  But here's an avid rugby player who doesn't lift weights at all. 

3 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That's slightly ironic.  I notice Ireland now has a lot more guys lifting weights in gyms because the popularity of rugby (as a spectator sport) has increased the expectation for a muscular physique.  But here's an avid rugby player who doesn't lift weights at all. 

I'm usually alright strength wise, it's fitness I struggle with. I'm not great at motivating myself to do stuff on my own so basically it either ends up with me doing some running or going to the gym and I get more benefit from running, plus it's free. There are a fair number of 'strength' elements to rugby training, especially in the forwards, so I haven't exactly done nothing at all. Having said that on today's evidence I should probably try to make some effort and get down to the free gym at the club a bit more often.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I'm usually alright strength wise, it's fitness I struggle with. I'm not great at motivating myself to do stuff on my own so basically it either ends up with me doing some running or going to the gym and I get more benefit from running, plus it's free. There are a fair number of 'strength' elements to rugby training, especially in the forwards, so I haven't exactly done nothing at all. Having said that on today's evidence I should probably try to make some effort and get down to the free gym at the club a bit more often.

Yep, I've no doubt your rugby training provides good strength conditioning all by itself.  It's just struck me as odd how more guys are lifting weights to get a rugby-ish physique if that's not what rugby players actually do.  

I also noticed when I watch rugby now, how much more muscular the players look compared to twenty years ago.  The switch to a professional game for rugby union means those players now look how rugby league used to.  In the 1990s, the Irish rugby union team looked positively doughy compared to today. 

6 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yep, I've no doubt your rugby training provides good strength conditioning all by itself.  It's just struck me as odd how more guys are lifting weights to get a rugby-ish physique if that's not what rugby players actually do.  

Don't get me wrong, a lot of guys spend a fair bit of time in the gym. I'm just lazy, plus I'm 6'1" and naturally about 15.5/16 stone so I can get away with it, at least at the level I'm currently playing at.

Recently decided that if I'm going to continue my present consumption of beer and marijuana I need a bit more disciplined exercise in my life.  Have been doing a pretty intense two to three hour paddle in the kayak a couple times a week for the last few weeks and it feels great.  I wake up thinking about paddling so I think I'm over the hump where it's now part of my routine. 

Looking forward to another four months of good paddling weather.

Saturday, short on time, I just did some rowing.  4x1km, good workout.  I'm tempted to return to my earlier approach of doing 5km uninterrupted but I think this HIIT version works well too. 

Sunday was upper body weights: bench press, cable rows, shrugs, etc.  I dropped the pull downs in favor of extra cable rows because I already do pull ups in my other upper body routine.  I should change it up from time to time.  

Bench press went really well but on both of my heaviest sets I opted against one more rep -- for safety concerns with no spotter -- but felt dissatisfied that I had stopped to soon.  It's always tough to tell when your strength will give out and there's no room for error when using a Smith Machine to press.  I don't set the safety stop above my chest because it ruins the exercise, but there would be no way to get out from under the bar if it falls back onto my chest.  It's not like a free barbell that you can roll down your torso until you can sit up. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Saturday, short on time, I just did some rowing.  4x1km, good workout.  I'm tempted to return to my earlier approach of doing 5km uninterrupted but I think this HIIT version works well too.  

If you're more into the HIIT version, I would suggest this workout I once did in rowing practice.

One set is 3 times 1 minute rowing at 32-34 strokes per minute, with a minute rest between them. You go 5 sets of that with 3 minutes rest between them. The point is to go strong but to try and have the same (or as close as you can) average paces for sets. It takes 37 minutes to complete, plus 3-5 minutes warm-up, but it's a great session.

In other "news", weather is really kicking my ass here. It gets to 30ºC between 9 and 10 a.m. which is exactly when I had my training this morning. I was literally dripping with sweat. Ok, the fact that today's workout was thrusters and burpee box jumps didn't help either. :lol: 

Last night was shoulder press, pull-ups, etc.  I felt really strong again and hit a new PB, which is a big step up from this same routine just a week ago when I was getting over a cold. 

Tonight was a lot of Italian food.  A lot.  Really, a lot.  I need to sleep this off and exercise tomorrow if possible. 

Saturday was bench press, cable rows, etc.  I lifted really well but felt so stiff and sore the next day that I couldn't even attempt squats and just rowed instead: 4x1km, all sub 4:00. 

I think it has been two months now since I did barbell squats and deadlifts.  I do bodyweight squats (with a jump) all the time between sets of upper body weights but somehow rowing became a substitute for barbell squats and now I'm dreading the return. 

On the plus side, adding that rowing helped me to get leaner after my vacation eating.  

Tonight was a rest day, with gratuitous over-eating.  Once I put food on a plate I feel compelled to finish at all.  And if I'm too hungry when I'm preparing my food, then I heap lots on the plate without realizing that I'm overdoing it.  Indigestion and regret follow. 

I've changed my eating pattern by doing Intermittent Fasting (16/8 method to be exact). I started last Wednesday. My eating cycle begins around 9 am and ends around 6 pm. I'm hoping to finally lose the weight I've gained since I started taking SSRIs to treat my Social Anxiety.

Archived