Iskaral Putsch

Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Managed to improve my PB fo 10k yesterday in the Independence Race in Warsaw, even if only by a mere 3 seconds. Current time is 48:43. I'm more than satisfied since I haven't planned attacking PB this time.

It also happened to be the biggest 10k race in Poland, after more than 13 thousand runners (out of almost 18 thousnad who signed up) made it to the finnish line. And it looked really awesome

Seems like it was a great race! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Speaking of running, my hometown (Belgrade) already has a marathon/half-marathon/fun run combo that takes place mid-April, but the organizers have decided to have one more, a half-marathon/quarter-marathon combo. As you can imagine, I have registered for it despite not having run more than 1.5km since half-marathon I ran in April. Remember the one after which I said I'm done with distance running for a while? :lol:

It should be fun, I already have some friends I'll be running with. Now the only thing left to do is to actually do some distance running before the race so I don't feel completely drained after the race.

One more thing, did I mention that the race is in three weeks? :lol: 

Came 20th in Worlds Strongest Man Under 105kg last week in North Carolina. Goal going in was top 10 so pretty disappointed but I am sure in a few weeks when I reflect I will cheer up a bit,

I'm not following the Worlds Strongest Man competitions and I know pretty much nothing about your or other competitors' results so I can't comment on whether your top ten goal was realistic or not, but 20th in the world still sounds great to me. Congrats and I hope next time you meet your goal! :thumbsup: 

I've went to the swimming pool yesterday for the first time in about 6 months. It's been fun and I'll try to make it a weekly thing. There are few things like swimming before work to make me feel as refreshed throughout the day.

Edited by baxus

Nice going Luke. 

I had several weeks of limited exercise due to travel, work and the common cold.  But back to a good routine these past couple of weeks, regaining the small amount of lost ground, including very sore legs most of this week after a heavy legs day on Saturday. 

Cutting back on desserts allowed me to drop from 183lbs to 177lbs in just three weeks.  Going lean is easy but sugar addiction is tough for that first week. 

On 12/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, Iskaral Pust said:

Nice going Luke. 

I had several weeks of limited exercise due to travel, work and the common cold.  But back to a good routine these past couple of weeks, regaining the small amount of lost ground, including very sore legs most of this week after a heavy legs day on Saturday. 

Cutting back on desserts allowed me to drop from 183lbs to 177lbs in just three weeks.  Going lean is easy but sugar addiction is tough for that first week. 

Damn dude... you must be getting lean.  If I remember correctly, you're about the same height as I am (6'-6'1") and I can't imagine getting down that low.

So I've been on a health kick since Halloween when I weighed myself at 215lbs.  I'm now down to 204 while at the same time gaining muscle in my shoulders and chest.  Clothes that used to fit fine are now pretty tight around the shoulders.  My goal is to get under 200 by the end of the month, and get down to 190 by summer.  Totally doable on the schedule I'm on right now.

Tonight it's barre followed by power yoga taught by my wife :)

57 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Damn dude... you must be getting lean.  If I remember correctly, you're about the same height as I am (6'-6'1") and I can't imagine getting down that low.

So I've been on a health kick since Halloween when I weighed myself at 215lbs.  I'm now down to 204 while at the same time gaining muscle in my shoulders and chest.  Clothes that used to fit fine are now pretty tight around the shoulders.  My goal is to get under 200 by the end of the month, and get down to 190 by summer.  Totally doable on the schedule I'm on right now.

Tonight it's barre followed by power yoga taught by my wife :)

Yeah, I’m pretty lean at this weight (although holiday eating brought me back to 180lbs today, but I’m about to return to my less indulgent eating style).  I went from defined to carved.  I’m not trying to go all the way to shredded.  There’s a fine line between good fitness and manorexia.  I’m carrying pretty good muscle mass* and feeling pretty healthy — I like where I’m at; and I know that any bodybuilder or power lifter would be disgusted by my complacency. 

*I’ve had the same problem for the last couple of years with clothes being very tight in my chest and shoulders.

Good to hear that you’re doing so well.  It’s incredible how much weight you’ve lost in the last couple of years, and maintained consistency in your regime.  Keep it going. 

I’m aching today after a heavy day yesterday of bench press, etc.  I especially have some soreness in my obliques after returning to cable hip twists after a long layoff.  I’ll have a rest day today.  Squats and deadlifts have been going great in the past couple of weeks.  And I had a monster session of pull-ups and shoulder press last Friday.

On 23/12/2017 at 1:38 AM, lessthanluke said:

Came 20th in Worlds Strongest Man Under 105kg last week in North Carolina. Goal going in was top 10 so pretty disappointed but I am sure in a few weeks when I reflect I will cheer up a bit,

What's even better news is that Luke once over head pressed me. He was drunk at the time too!!!

I've been cruising through some functional high intensity training, called F45. Had my first session back in to the new year last night, haven't done dead lifts in around two weeks and the ol back has a decent ache going on this morning.

10 hours ago, Ski the Swift said:

What's even better news is that Luke once over head pressed me. He was drunk at the time too!!!

Still my greatest achievement.

Nice work, Luke!

I remain mystified about how much weight can fluctuate overnight.  That it can fluctuate throughout the day, even by several pounds, doesn't shock me.  But I weighed myself before bed last night and then again when I woke up and was nine pounds lighter then next morning.  I think that's the largest discrepancy I've ever logged for myself, but I don't even understand how it's possible.  Who among ye can explain it?

Edited by Triskele

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

I remain mystified about how much weight can fluctuate overnight.  That it can fluctuate throughout the day, even by several pounds, doesn't shock me.  But I weighed myself before bed last night and then again when I woke up and was nine pounds lighter then next morning.  I think that's the largest discrepancy I've ever logged for myself, but I don't even understand how it's possible.  Who among ye can explain it?

Imprecision of the scale and water loss during sleep (from sweating/breathing).

14 hours ago, Triskele said:

Losing 4kg overnight does not sound right to me.

I mean, it would be ok if you weighed yourself in the evening after a big meal, fully clothed, wearing boots and a jacket and in the morning you weighed yourself in underwear only after doing the business in the toilet, before you had your breakfast or even had a glass of water etc.

Since I'm guessing that wasn't the case, it's a bit much.

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

Nice work, Luke!

How heavy are you? I can wake up close to 10lbs light SOMETIMES depending on hydration levels, how warm it is blah blah. If you are sub 200lbs though I would suggest your scales are broken.

My wife was at the gym on Monday and stumbled*, fell and banged the top of her head against the dumbbell rack.  She has a mild concussion and has slept for around 40 of the 48 hours since we got back from the ER.  She wins the prize for weirdest gym injury yet. But thankfully she’s less dazed today so I can be nonchalant about it now  

My workouts are going well still but I’m exhausted now from working at home this week while also taking care of my wife and son.  And I have a nasty suspicion that I caught the flu during our 3 hours in the ER waiting room.  If I don’t get a fever in the next 24 hours then I think I can safely call it just a cold   What a fucking week.

* she said she was doing step-lunges onto a step-up platform while holding dumbbells, and just caught her toe against the step one time and pitched forward.  

Sad to hear your wife got injured, glad to hear she's feeling better.

That is without a doubt a pretty weird injury but I think I have a weirder on. Last summer, in my crossfit box locker room I saw this guy who was in an earlier group, with bandages around his shoulder and his arm bandaged to his torso. He was doing a bear crawl in warmup, his hand slipped and he fell in such a way that he dislocated his shoulder.

Got two good 2.5 hr workouts in on Tuesday and yesterday this week, with another tomorrow and a 3 hr one on Sunday morning.  Down 2 more pounds and feel pretty good about my workout regimen.  My diet still needs a bit of work since I've had quite a few cheat days over the last couple weeks due to some parties and going to the last Vikings game.  I still think I'll hit sub 200 before the end of the month though, which has been my goal since Halloween.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:08 AM, lessthanluke said:

How heavy are you? I can wake up close to 10lbs light SOMETIMES depending on hydration levels, how warm it is blah blah. If you are sub 200lbs though I would suggest your scales are broken.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  It's a digital scale that, up until this incident, I had no reason to disbelieve. And this one did seem to be something of an outlier.  I am over 200 lbs, ~220 right now possible with some creatine-induced fluid retention.*  I guess it still surprises me that even half this amount of fluctuation occurs.

*Is this supposed to happen with just a regular daily dose of creatine or only if one does the so-called loading phase?  I've just been taking the daily 5 mg scoop for a few weeks now.