Exercise and Fitness: sticking to resolutions

Iskaral Pust

@Leap

Congrats on your result!

If you decide to run another one this year, I can't recommend Ljubljana highly enough. It's in the second half of October, so you still have time to work on your 5k and get ready for a half-marathon.

My half-marathon is on next Saturday and I have to say that I'm nowhere near as ready as I was in the past, though I have managed to run it in even less well prepared. :D I'll have to find a friend to run it with, which would make it a much more enjoyable experience.

That sounds great, Leap, what a fun experience. 

I've been off exercise for two full weeks because I've had so much work and so little sleep.  I plan to return to the gym later today.  Some little trepidation about losing ground, but I need to get back on the horse. 

Booyah!  Back to the gym.  Bench press, pull downs, etc.  It went really well, no ground lost.  I even remembered to run a gentle mile at the end for some aerobic fitness. 

Good to be back.  I need to not let this busy period at work prevent me from exercising. 

On 4/14/2017 at 6:42 PM, OnionAhaiReborn said:

Might want to give planking a try, I have a sometimes cranky back and I feel like it's really helped me. I've never had much luck with stretching. Definitely do not recommend pushing through pain, that's very risky. 

There is a studio by my office that I'm check out that offers hot yoga. So I'm going to see how that goes.  

Ways to make your workout harder: go at 8 AM after a night of insomnia! I got maybe 2 hours of (restless) sleep. Every rep was a drag!! Oof. But I did it and then demolished some brunch, so I guess it worked out. :)

I used to love being the annoying person there at the gym 6 AM sharp after an allnighter during exams. I felt terribly productive and disciplined for about one hour, and then I'd crash.

I've been out of it for a a good six months but edging back gently the last few weeks - I've been doing interval 5ks, just about gotten under 40mins now (eek). I've never really liked running (I prefer swimming for cardio) but I think the sweaty running high, nice, steady, easily measured progress and really deep stretching is kind of what I'm after right now and swimming laps has felt hopelessly tedious for some reason. Mixing in some lifting (basically 'as much of 5*5 as I feel like on a given day') and yoga as well. Not the most structured program - I'm trying to take it really easy on my rather ropey motivation and slightly frentic schedule, but I've been feeling so blobby and depressive lately that it really has to be done.

Interval 5ks?

I've had a bit of a disappointing finish to the rugby season. I really thought we were going to win the league and the cup but we lost in the semifinal of the cup and then lost a couple of key league games. We're definitely second so we're getting promoted but it feels a bit of a letdown now.

On the plus side with the season pretty much over we've starting doing some fitness tests etc in training in preparation for preseason next year and I came solidly in the middle of the pack, which as a tight five forward I'll definitely take. With pre presason in mind and some nice weather last week I decided to bump my run up from the 5 miles or so I normally do to about 9 miles and it was surprisingly ok. I normally don't want to run to far and still be feeling it when I've got training/a match but I think I'll try to make the effort to do some longer runs over the summer.

12 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

Run until bored, walk until bored, run until bored, repeat until it adds up to 5k. Thats how I was taught the concept of intervals in highschool gym class?

Ah, ok. I thought you meant doing multiple 5k runs in intervals. I thought it seemed a bit odd.

I wouldn't worry too much about the times if you're still building up to running the whole distance.

Yesterday my upper body was very stiff following the Saturday workout.  I almost didn't go to the gym but finally rallied my resolve and went down for a lower body session: squats, dead lifts, leg curls and calf press, plus some cycling for warm-up and cool-down.

Another good workout.  Squats felt pretty heavy at 250lbs (and I was an inch or more short of full depth at that weight), but glad that I didn't have to reduce weight.  Dead lifts felt surprisingly easy at 250lbs, but I didn't push any higher.

So now everything is stiff and sore.  I'll look to loosen up over the next couple of days before attempting anything else.

17 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Ah, ok. I thought you meant doing multiple 5k runs in intervals. I thought it seemed a bit odd.

Lol, no way. I'm only sticking to this because I resolutely tell myself I don't have to any more than 5k. Defintely more concerned about building up to running the whole thing, but sometimes I give in to long walking/short sprinting patterns rather than trying to push along for a longer while at an easy run, but, well, its not like theres really a goal so at the moment its whatever motivates me to be in motion :-)

Congrats Leap! I didn't know you were doing it in Budapest. Choose Warsaw next year (one of the biggest half-marathons in Europe, more than 12 thousand participants) and we can run together. :)

On Sunday I run my first race since my HM, though it's just 10k, I hope I'll be able to run it progressively and under 50 minutes.

Monday evening, I did some cardio to loosen up stiff muscles.  I rowed 3x1km and did some cycling between each bout of rowing.  My times were 3:45, 3:57 and 3:50.  On the final 1km I was rowing at a pace of 1:40/500m for the first 650m and absolutely crushing it, and then I started gulping for breath and even seeing my vision darken slightly, so I backed way off the pace and got my breath back under control.  No-one wants to be the guy who has a heart attack in the gym.

I felt great afterward -- like the runner's high -- but obviously I had pushed a bit harder than intended for just loosening muscles.  My wife just rolled her eyes because she knows I never do anything at a relaxed pace.  I don't even sleep peacefully.

Tuesday was a rest day.  Hopefully back to the gym tonight.

This morning was quite active for me - started with a crossfit session, then went around town to get some plane tickets for my summer vacation and get my half-marathon kit. My race number is a nice, even 4000. :D I have no idea how many people will be running, but I heard that the number would be limited to 6000, which would be an increase of around 1000 from last year. Those numbers are a total for marathon and half-marathon, but not including 5k fun run which attracts additional thousands. In previous years, news reported about 20,000 people in the fun run, but there's no way of knowing since there's no application for it, you just show up and run. Still, 20,000 seems way too much to me.

Damn, I stretched the muscle just above right knee (or is it muscle insertion?) during one of this weeks' trainings and it hurts, especially while climbing the stairs. Just two damn days before 10k race I participate in. I'm going to take it easy till Sunday, but I'm not sure it would be enough. It's not that I can't run because of it, but I do worry it can only makes things worse. And of course it lessens my chances for a PB.

Archived