The Leftovers (spoilers)

RumHam

I was distracted while watching most of the episode. Had the song, "what if god was one of us" going through my head.

Was there ever a doubt that "god" was going to be fed to the lion?

On 5/14/2017 at 10:36 PM, Nictarion said:

Probably my least favorite episode of the series so far. That shit was weird even for this show. Eccleston was good though. 

I loved it. We finally met David Burton in the flesh, after hearing about him and seing him in season 2 at the hotel.

I gotta say I was a little disappointed that the episode didn't end with God/David Burton coming back to life. I mean I get it, "That's the guy I was talking about." was a really great way to end the episode. But I cant see the next episode picking up however long later with Burton getting back up. (Though I do expect him to show up again in the "other place" later in the season.)

But anyway the fact that we've already seen David Burton in "the other place" twice lends a lot of credence to the idea that he was as valid a candidate for Matt's version of god as Kevin is.  Not to mention the fact that both times Kevin died Burton seemed to understand what was really going on while Kevin did not. Anyway I guess my main point is what's to stop Burton from confronting his ...symbolic issues again and returning to life? 

Also it seems like Burton was over there for a fair but longer than Kevin before reviving. (Also he didn't have a guide.)

Also worth noting that Mary was either there or expected to be there, and yet apparently said nothing upon reading The Book of Kevin. 

On the other hand "The man on the Tower" was sending letters to Burton and according to Virgil was a success story of his "die and come back to rid yourself of the dead talking to you" therapy. (also remember that he could seemingly see dead Patti Levin) and still died and stayed dead. But who knows maybe he just did not have to drive to make his way back. 

55 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I loved it. We finally met David Burton in the flesh, after hearing about him and seing him in season 2 at the hotel.

His parts with Matt were good, but I got a little tired of all the Fraser stuff. I liked the other 2 Matt episodes much more. 

What a whacked out episode. I liked it though. Not my favorite of the new season as even though we basically got a "Matt" episode, we still learned very little new about him (other than his cancer seemingly returning). I did learn all about Frasier though.  Baby I hear the blues a callin'...

Oh, and I also found this article that explains the origin of the "God card."

On 5/15/2017 at 10:26 AM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

After watching season 1 I decided not to watch 2 but after lurking I decided to go back and watch season 2 and I'm glad I did. I've watched the first two episodes of season 3 and I like it so far.

He who once was lost has now been found. Hallelujah!

16 hours ago, dbunting said:

I was distracted while watching most of the episode. Had the song, "what if god was one of us" going through my head.

Was there ever a doubt that "god" was going to be fed to the lion?

What if god was one of us? Getting mauled like one of us.

6 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

What a whacked out episode. I liked it though. Not my favorite of the new season as even though we basically got a "Matt" episode, we still learned very little new about him (other than his cancer seemingly returning). I did learn all about Frasier though.  Baby I hear the blues a callin'...

Oh, and I also found this article that explains the origin of the "God card."

He who once was lost has now been found. Hallelujah!

What if god was one of us? Getting mauled like one of us.

What if god was one of us

just a slob in a hat like one of us

just a stranger on a ferry

Tryin to kill one of us

So while watching the episode I thought the ferry was supposed to be like Sodom and Gommorah. Especially when the one girl told Matt to stay on the boat until after everyone else was off because they had a surprise for them. With her destroying them like the cities of Sodom and Gammorah.

JFC what a gut punch of an episode. First Nora's story about the beach ball, and then that ending. I haven't been this emotionally moved by a show since Six Feet Under. 

Both Carrie Coon and Amy Brenneman gave Emmy worthy performances.

That was an emotionally heavy episode, but fantastic.

Loved the dinner and Kevin and Laurie's goodbye scene.

The ending was especially emotional. I was so frustrated with her character in the first season, but she really grew on me. She had been dealing with everyone else's problems and seemed to never have time to process her own grief.

Wow, yet another heart wrenching episode. I agree with the previous sentiments about the performances by Coon and Brenneman being award winning. Laurie really has gone from being hated to likeable over the course of this series. I'm glad we got to see the origin of Laurie's involvement in the Guilty Remnant and how the depression/pain/hopelessness brought on by The Departure really has never left her--such a poetically melancholy bookend to the episode.

If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention! I keep thinking that when i watch this show.

Agree it was nice to see what drove Laurie to GR. I of course expected her to change her mind when her daughter called and brought up a childhood memory, but nope.

Also a nice bit of foreshadowing with the storm coming in, the Ark isn't built yet!

S3E7

Well damn, if that wasn't something. Pretty much an entire episode that was one big metaphor. I mean, you could probably make that argument for most episodes in this series, but it felt like a big piece of this puzzle to this series was answered, and that surprised me that the writers would be so straightforward. And Justin Theroux delivers yet another killer (Puns!) performance. Can't wait to see how this all wraps up next week!

I loved the ending of that story basically calling out Kevin for being a coward and running from Nora.

Had to laugh at the twin brother line as a viewer of Fargo.

One more episode left

I did really enjoy that last episode even if the whole tone of those 'hotel' scenes seems to jar with the rest of the material on the show slightly. I often wonder what the author of the book thinks of them seeing as the first season covered his book and they started making it up afterwards.

Having said that, this episode was actually very funny and absurd, I really enjoyed a lot of the metaphors involved. I'm still a little unsure of what each Kevin represented. My assumption was one who wanted to believe he was special and one who knows he's not?

I just read a very interesting interview with the music supervisor on the show, Liza Richardson. There's a lot of talk about the ins-and-outs of acquiring music rights for songs and how the writers don't always get the songs they want, like how the karaoke scene in S2 was supposed to be to Madonna's "Like A Prayer," but she wouldn't let them have the rights. Or how sometimes they re-edit scenes to match new songs she discovers, like the opening scene to S3E1.

13 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I did really enjoy that last episode even if the whole tone of those 'hotel' scenes seems to jar with the rest of the material on the show slightly. I often wonder what the author of the book thinks of them seeing as the first season covered his book and they started making it up afterwards.

He's co-written or written some episodes. Also, he's been one of the talking heads on this season's "inside the episode" clips. So my guess is he's good with it.

Not really sure how I feel about this episode.

Shaven Kevin had "god" in his ear telling him to kill bearded Kevin to save the world. Bearded Kevin had Patti (devil?) in his ear telling him to blow up the world to end their suffering.

You had the clan that planned to drown Kevin wake up from their drugging only to save Kevin, from doing what they asked him to do.

One point of note Kevin made it clear he can't ever go back to the other side again.

So, I will toss out my guess for the finale.

Kevin realizes Nora is what he is missing in his life and decides to try to find/save her. He does this just in nick of time or the machine is a hoax that just kills people. Nora realizes she wants to live and the image we saw a couple episodes ago of an older Nora is her and Kevin walking along the Australian coast 20 years later, they only showed us Nora and not Kevin to make us wonder. Maybe his son or daughter is there with grand kids.

We may see that Laurie is still alive and didn't kill herself, doubt it though.

No explanation for what happened, people have simply decided to move on and get on with their lives.

47 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Not really sure how I feel about this episode.

Shaven Kevin had "god" in his ear telling him to kill bearded Kevin to save the world. Bearded Kevin had Patti (devil?) in his ear telling him to blow up the world to end their suffering.

You had the clan that planned to drown Kevin wake up from their drugging only to save Kevin, from doing what they asked him to do.

One point of note Kevin made it clear he can't ever go back to the other side again.

So, I will toss out my guess for the finale.

Kevin realizes Nora is what he is missing in his life and decides to try to find/save her. He does this just in nick of time or the machine is a hoax that just kills people. Nora realizes she wants to live and the image we saw a couple episodes ago of an older Nora is her and Kevin walking along the Australian coast 20 years later, they only showed us Nora and not Kevin to make us wonder. Maybe his son or daughter is there with grand kids.

We may see that Laurie is still alive and didn't kill herself, doubt it though.

No explanation for what happened, people have simply decided to move on and get on with their lives.

I like the theory mentioned upthread that it wasn't older Nora but radiation damaged Nora. I don't really want Laurie to turn up alive, but it does seem odd we didn't see her in the "other place" and get a moment where Kevin learns what she did. Though that could just be because the "other place" is all in Kevin's mind and he does not know that she's dead. But I don't believe that. Kevin talking to his father and knowing what David Burton looks and acts like are pretty strong indications that it was something else. 

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I like the theory mentioned upthread that it wasn't older Nora but radiation damaged Nora. I don't really want Laurie to turn up alive, but it does seem odd we didn't see her in the "other place" and get a moment where Kevin learns what she did. Though that could just be because the "other place" is all in Kevin's mind and he does not know that she's dead. But I don't believe that. Kevin talking to his father and knowing what David Burton looks and acts like are pretty strong indications that it was something else. 

It is absolutely essential to the narrative that Laurie was not included in Kevin's journey. It would have left the viewer's interpretation off the table. The entire point of the series is for us to come up with our own conclusions about things. 

I also don't think that the two Kevins were guided by "God" and the "Devil". I believe that the actual conflict was between the theme Lindelhoff has been writing about his entire career between science and faith. I also don't believe that there was one clear cut "winner". Both Kevins were destroyed. The man totally ruled by faith was the assassin, and he was destroyed by his naivety and blind devotion to his task. The man led only by reason was the President, and he came to embrace the Nihilism represented by the Guilty Remnant that led to his destruction as well.  

I did not think that last season could be topped, but it has been. This was an amazing conclusion to an amazing series. I'm looking forward to the epilogue to say goodnight to this brilliant piece of work.

Archived