[SPOILERS] Black Sails Season 4: All that glitters is not Silver

GallowKnight

I just saw the first episode. I was weary of starting it, because I'm still sad this the final season (meanwhile crap like Thrones and TWD keeps on going). I'm glad I finally manned up and saw it. What an absolutely marvellous way to open a season. The shipbattles in this series are basically the showrunners teabagging all their competitors. I do hope they haven't run out of budget, because I want to see more of this for as long as this show is still with us.

The action, directing and cinematography were indeed stunning. Silver cutting himself loose and cleverly taking refuge in that sinking ship was such a great sequence. The goat was a great addition as well, it's little moments like that which help to bring a series up to a higher level. 

Loved seeing all the characters back. I felt like pretty much everything worked. Flint picking up the shards of the tea cup moved me much more than I expected. I'm glad Billy Bones is finally laying his cards on table, although I do wonder how the relationship between him, Silver and Flint will evolve. Me thinks he'll soon start to think differently about Flint. Silver and Madi were really quite sweet together and both actors do succeed in putting forward this sort of aura of power, which I like. Rackham was brilliant as well. I just completely believe the actor when he's talking about Charles Vane. Almost like I'm looking at real people and not a series. Bonny was also nice in contrast. Teach was powerful and charismatic. I'm really gunning for Stevenson to get something better to do than last year. I also like the new antagonist. That captain spells trouble and there is something about the actor that feels very threatening in a realistic way. He reminds me a bit of Kinski's Aguirre for his final descent into madness perhaps. Woods was appropriately desperate. I like how Eleanor plays her new role (and Hannah New still looks gorgeous). The only one that was perhaps a bit dissapointing was Max. She's clearly being set up to break away from Rogers and Eleanor sooner rather than later, but that's really only a small gripe.

I really hope this is going to be as good as season two. At the very least this is a very promising start for what is definitely one of the best shows on air right now :) 

3 hours ago, akh said:

I loved the scene with Rackham and Teach.

A slower episode than the last, but the last season is shaping up very nicely. 

A meal :) That was a great scene. As well as Teach's "message" for Rogers.

Another fine episode. Loved the developments on the plantation. Billy has had enough of Flint's shit.

Israel Hands is fantastic. I saw a short interview with cast members where they said Flint and Hands would be the angel and devil on Silver's shoulders, with Flint actually being the angel. 

Loved the end of the episode and anxious to see how Max responds.

So... what about Billy ? Did he charge the militia ? Looked like so... 

Well, let's see where we go from here ! 

It's, as always, damn tough for me to talk about this show in a constructive way : I love everything about it, and loved everything about the episode, and I'm so pumped for the rest of the season ! 

Cant freaking wait ! 

And yeah, that Rackham - Teach scene was pure delight !

Israel Hands is fantastic. I saw a short interview with cast members where they said Flint and Hands would be the angel and devil on Silver's shoulders, with Flint actually being the angel. 

That's great that Flint is still going to find some way into power, if only for a short time. He's my favorite character in a show bursting with amazing characters. I loved Silver's speech to Israel Hand and he looks like a promising character. 

Such a smart show. Just the failure of the raid and Flint's grasp on the situation. You rarely see writing at that level.

Sad to see this show go. It seems too early and you can't say that about many shows. At least it isn't getting the Deadwood treatment.

Good episode. Interesting to see the fracture within the Pirate faction happen so quickly. It felt like a pretty hasty and dumb move by Billy. It seems a bit silly to be angry about six people dying only to start something that gets even more of your own men killed. On a side note here I hope to we get to see a bit more of Ben Gunn as the season goes a long. So fare he's mostly been hanging out in the background.

Rackham and Teach were great and I' really glad that they're giving Stevenson some better stuff to work with this year. He plays off Jack and Anne very well, probably even better than he ever did with Vane. The Jack and Anne scene was great too.

So now we got Israel Hands too and I like him a lot. His scenes with Silver was great, probably the highlight of the episode. And his fight scene with Max's men was pretty cool. I have high hopes for him.

I was glad to see that Featherstone hadn't sold out the Pirates after all.

Very solid start to the season with a surprising action-packed opening 10 minutes and two episodes of groundwork. I also love how Flint always finds a way to be in charge and how he doesn't really care about the cause that allows him to be on top as long as it gets him there. Thankfully it's not just power addiction but the stubborn conviction that his way is best.

Israel Hands looks like a fun addition. I'm usually a bit leery about "character who has been there all along but only now gets involved" but it's the final season and I guess they wanted him in. Looks like he'll be a hybrid of the real person and the treasure island character.

My only small issue so far is that I find it really hard to have any empathy for "the british" in Rogers, Guthrie and Max. This wouldn't be a problem if they were meant to be out-and-out villains but I get the impression we're supposed to see that they have legitimate reasons for doing what they are doing (Ma in particular seems to genuinely want the violence to end). Arguably they should be the good guys but it just feels like they are all in it for their own gains. The same is true of the pirates but they all seem to have a cause underpinning it. Maybe it's just a case of their being too many great characters on one side and me therefore wanting them to win (I know it's a lost cause too).

The show also is dangerously on the verge of "Athelstan syndrome" where everyone seems to spend a lot of time telling us how great Charles Vane was. The difference here is that he was a character worthy of the show continuing to mention and that the people talking about him were genuinely obsessed with the man. Take a note "Vikings" team.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

The show also is dangerously on the verge of "Athelstan syndrome" where everyone seems to spend a lot of time telling us how great Charles Vane was. The difference here is that he was a character worthy of the show continuing to mention and that the people talking about him were genuinely obsessed with the man. Take a note "Vikings" team.

There is also the difference that the characters who desire to avenge Vane's death were not shown to obsesses over Vane when he was still alive, as was the case with Ecbert and Ragnar. Teach is the one that came closest to that kind of behavior. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

There is also the difference that the characters who desire to avenge Vane's death were not shown to obsesses over Vane when he was still alive, as was the case with Ecbert and Ragnar. Teach is the one that came closest to that kind of behavior. 

I think Jack did admire him a lot in life too but not to the point where he was blind to Vane's flaws or willing to cross Vane. I still think it's one of the aspects that makes Teach a less interesting character - this love of an adopted son who betrayed him. I'm still waiting for some awesome Stephenson moments before the show is finished but he's

The other difference is that Hirst isn't writing Black Sails :)

Holy shit, what an episode. Since some characters died, I'll use spoilers.

Spoiler

I had to research Blackbeard's death after the episode, and found that the only thing in common with the historical death was his enemy surprised him on the deck when he boarded. But, wow, that was hard to watch. If only they had done more with the character in season 3, it would have had an even greater impact. Still, knowing that Rackham and Anne could very well be next is gut wrenching. 

I also liked what happened in Nassau. I'm glad they humanized Berringer a bit before killing him off. I liked what they did with the character, but unfortunately like Blackbeard, he was never meant to be central to the story. I was expecting Max to betray her informants, so I was a bit surprised at her renewed strength.

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

About the farmers, did the pirates really kill the little girl and her mother as Berringer said?

If they did, they didn't show. I call bullshit. But it is possible that Billy lost it a bit and went on a rampage. But if they are dead, the likeliest scenario is that they died in the battle that ensued with the militia that showed up.

Oh my, I hope they can keep this up until the finale.

This was quite an episode. 

Spoiler

I got the impression that Blackbeard managed to push Rogers out of his mind. Him shooting Teach in the head instead of giving the old man another dip in the water sure made it seem so. Especially considering his aspirations to do the same with Rackham and not following through.

And I agree with what's been said: had they built up Blackbeard more in the previous season(s), his death would have been had more impact, but I also think they did the absolute best they could have with what they had. 

I don't think Rackham will die this early in the season, but I do think he's likely to die at some point, as he's probably the most likable of the whole pirate bunch, though perhaps that's not really saying much. He'll get to have another dialogue with Rogers at the very least, to follow up on their chat from last season.

Spoiler

Damn, the keelhaul scene was brutal !  Teach taking it like a boss will come to undermine Rodger in the end ! His return at Nassau will be quite rock'n'roll !

And I must stay I freaked out for Jack. I kinda guessed it would be too much for Rodger to have another execution after Teach, but I still was on the edge ! (Yeah, Jack is my favorite character ! Really looking forward to see what's in store for him next !)

And I cheered when Israel Hands got his... well hands on Berringer ! He wanted theather, he got it ! 

Also, really curious to see what will result of Eleanore now taking the fort, apparently... I would like for her to become again a major figure in Nassau before her inevitable fall ! 

Now Billy and Flint will have to work together and set aside their conflict if they want any hope in maintainting their dominion of Nassau and it will be really interesting to see the scenes between them ! 

I was not a fan of the climax of this episode frankly.

Spoiler

The whole thing with Teach was pretty forced. You're telling me that no one on that ship seriously saw an alternative to sending one boat full of people unto a ship that they and the inhabitants had to have known would be caught? 

It seems like they had an endgame and just sort of forced it, including having Anne on board so Jack would surrender instead of doing the obvious thing.

Spoiler

Yeah, I had a very hard time believing that Jack would flat out surrender himself and everyone with him, despite having a huge Man-Of-War, three times bigger than Rogers' ship, without even trying to negotiate first for Anne and Teach.

Spoiler

I had the exact same thought about the trap when they were boarding. To reinforce my disbelief,  Woodes Rogers last episode and Rackham this episode both had lines about how brilliant Teach is. Guess that's not the case. Still, historical liberties aside, I thought Teach's death was handle quite well by the show. It was the final duel with Rogers and Teach won in the end once Rogers granted him some mercy. However, I always felt the showrunners never really knew what to do with Blackbeard besides simply introducing him in the show. Hopefully his cruel death resonates for the rest of the cast and wasn't in vain(the pun tempted me).

I'm afraid Rackham and Anne aren't long for the world, but hope to be wrong. When in doubt, listen to Anne, Jack.

I really thought Max was a goner this episode. As annoying as her repetitive storyline has been, I appreciate her and Eleanor still caring for each other. Anxious to see what Eleanor has planned with the fort.

Nice take on the Battle of Three Armies. It was quite humorous that the only people to die when both sides massed their men and fired were extras :) Israel Hands was great. I agree with the humanizing of Berringer foreshadowing his death.

Archived