German politics xth attempt

kiko

I will consider it unfair, if those idiots stopped winning all the districts. And the last miniterial appointments for the last 10 years alone are a reason to strip every Bavarian of their voting rights. Hell, Dobrindt and Scheuer alone are.

Anyway, enough of that semi-serious rant. Funny how voting Green, and them polling level with the CDU/CSU on a national level inspires conservatives to discover the climate change and the enviroment as political topics.

With that Bavarian oaf, pardon Franconian oaf ofc, Söder now claiming Germany should exit coal produced energy earlier. Ofc, Bavaria not really being a coal region, it has the typical Bavarian hypocrisy stench on it, but I'll take it nonetheless.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:18 AM, The guy from the Vale said:

This is unfair. I do live in CSU country, but I never voted for these clowns and don't expect that to ever change.

It's weird. Here in Erlangen it feels like a larger minority of residents are not even from Bavaria. I assume they would never vote for those crazies. Looks like it's mandatory for the natives to put their cross for the C... party.

7 minutes ago, kiko said:

It's weird. Here in Erlangen it feels like a larger minority of residents are not even from Bavaria. I assume they would never vote for those crazies. Looks like it's mandatory for the natives to put their cross for the C... party.

Yes, I lived in Munich for a couple of years in the early noughties and all my German friends were from outside of Bavaria, but obviously this kind of anecdotal evidence is tricky since as an outsider your circle is always going to be outsiders to varying degrees, and very likely these guys don't even vote in high numbers anyway :) 

I guess the sons of the soil who vote CSU see it very much as an expression of their regional identity as well. Of course, the fact that they are socially conservative ties in here very naturally. A regional alliance partner for the SPD or the FDP even if set up in 1946 , would never really have taken off with that population in the last millennium as an alternate way of expressing your regional identification, but it is interesting how the Freie Wähler share of the vote has stayed fairly consistent in the last 3 Landtag elections, rather than that vote going to the national parties.

Even apart from the fact that the AfD ate into core CSU votes in the last Landtag elections (and the Greens into peripheral voters), there does seem to be a (relatively) significant structural shift since the 2008 elections (to the FW). Just looking at the numbers, it feels like the heydays of 55-60% vote share are gone now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landtag_of_Bavaria

2 hours ago, kiko said:

Erlangen is a university city. You'd expect the natives to be in the minority. As for Munich, it has traditionally voted for the social democrats. There has been only one mayor from the CSU. And in the recent elections fo the EU parliament the Greens got the most votes. As with all the larger states, Bavaria is divided between the big cities and industrial areas on one side and the rural areas on the other. Bavaria was a poor and underdeveloped state back in 1950. Obviously, that has changed since. Population has grown, too. That's both good and bad for the CSU. On the one hand, they claim credit for the state's development. On the other hand, the population is a lot less socially conservative than it used to be. It's a bit like with the SPD. The children of the workers who used to make up their voter base all got higher education. That is a big success for the SPD. But they have also eliminated their own voter base.

Nothing about the Lübcke murder?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/16/suspect-in-german-politicians-has-links-to-far-right

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/20/german-politicians-support-for-refugees-prompts-death-threats

On another note, I just stumbled across this news:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/23/paris-prepares-pools-parks-and-cool-rooms-for-predicted-heatwave

Because while we're expecting 40° Celsius this week (would be a first time, ever, for June), nobody does anything like this. Not enough casualties, I guess.

Archived