German politics xth attempt

kiko

22 minutes ago, Toth said:

I guess I'm also frustrated to currently watch how the conversation in a fanfiction forum mostly frequented by teenagers, but run by a MRA and overrun by AfD trolls has right now turned to "Black people have lower IQ than white people because of evolution and that's why immigration is bad" and I'm myself too exhausted and emotionally drained to counter anything.

On any other given day I'd feel like mocking you over the fanfiction forum, but since you seem emotionally invested and devastated by that forum's current state, I'll give you pass on that. :smug:

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

On any other given day I'd feel like mocking you over the fanfiction forum, but since you seem emotionally invested and devastated by that forum's current state, I'll give you pass on that. :smug:

How very considerate of you...

Just so you know, I have been there since I was 16 and have seen it going downhill ever since the host felt inclined to use it as a platform to go on rants about feminism. After the initial backlash he stopped, but the doors were open to let the vermin in and have all remotely left-leaning people bullied off the board. Given the demographic of who usually writes fanfiction, this is just really, really weird...

Don't take my stuff too seriously. While I consider fan fiction (well 90-95% of it at least) on the internet to be something between horrible and absymal of quality, I also acknowledge that I am probably a bit too old to have gotten involved with that stuff in the first place - and too much of an admitted no talent writer on top of that.

5 hours ago, Toth said:

How very considerate of you...

Just so you know, I have been there since I was 16 and have seen it going downhill ever since the host felt inclined to use it as a platform to go on rants about feminism. After the initial backlash he stopped, but the doors were open to let the vermin in and have all remotely left-leaning people bullied off the board. Given the demographic of who usually writes fanfiction, this is just really, really weird...

This feels familiar. I think I left that very board eight years ago, in part because of the jerk-ass host. (Name is five letters long, starting with an H, right?)

@Wolfgang I I feel you. Switzerland is already alienating with their cryptofascists, but the things going on in Austria right now are really scary. The Böhmermann interview lately was just the last in far too many cases where pro-democratic discourse was treated like lèse majesté.

6 minutes ago, The guy from the Vale said:

This feels familiar. I think I left that very board eight years ago, in part because of the jerk-ass host. (Name is five letters long, starting with an H, right?)

Right on the target...

And... wow, you that means you left even before I started writing there for real. Then you haven't even experienced how he literally turned the front page into a MRA blog for a time.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, Wolfgang I said:

Honestly I envy you folks a little bit nowadys. The far right/neo liberal combination that rules Austria right now is a worse nightmare than I ever imagined. The nazis have crawled out of their basements in full force and most people seem to agree with them. :(

Ha! Let's hope this current scandal will have some severe consequences, even if it's just a few heads that roll.

4 hours ago, Toth said:

Ha! Let's hope this current scandal will have some severe consequences, even if it's just a few heads that roll.

Well Strache is gone now. :D

It does seems likely that this comes from someone supporting Kurz. Hopefully he does not manage to pull a Schüssel though. 

Although in my dreams Van der Bellen convinced Putin to stop supporting the FPÖ during their recent meetup and this is the result.. 

Jan Böhmermann seems to have know about this which I find rather interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch, SPD down to 15% at the EU elections, Greens up to 22%.

First time the Greens outperform the SPD on a nation wide election.

I must admit, I was a bit torn which of them I would vote for, as I really liked Timmermans. In the end, I decided that the SPD itself did not give me enough reasons to vote for them.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:10 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ouch, SPD down to 15% at the EU elections, Greens up to 22%.

First time the Greens outperform the SPD on a nation wide election.

I must admit, I was a bit torn which of them I would vote for, as I really liked Timmermans. In the end, I decided that the SPD itself did not give me enough reasons to vote for them.

Nahles wants to be reelected as chairman- a very bold move if you consider her situation.

I see it as an act of desperation, but the only other choices are beeing the very, very unpopular and ignorant chairman or abdicate directly.

I don't see her getting enough, do you? She is a shame for the SPD in my eyes and I really asking myself what drugs she had before her speeches and rallies .

Another chairman- which should think about abdicating in my opinion. She has managed to give another controversial statement and doesn't have the excuse of Karneval

On 5/26/2019 at 6:10 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I must admit, I was a bit torn which of them I would vote for,

So you did go for the Greens?

Do not take this too personal but coming from a more rural area my opinion of most of their members and voters is not very high.

6 hours ago, Karneol said:

Nahles wants to be reelected as chairman- a very bold move if you consider her situation.

I see it as an act of desperation, but the only other choices are beeing the very, very unpopular and ignorant chairman or abdicate directly.

I don't see her getting enough, do you? She is a shame for the SPD in my eyes and I really asking myself what drugs she had before her speeches and rallies .

Another chairman- which should think about abdicating in my opinion. She has managed to give another controversial statement and doesn't have the excuse of Karneval

Not entirely correct.

Nahles tries to get re-elected as the speaker of the party in parliament. She is right now not making way for the election of a new party chair. She would do the party a bigger favour, if she let go of the party chair, as I don't think working as a MP alongside the CDU, while trying to re-new the party (and thus creating distance to the CDU) is working out too well. They should get somebody who is not a MP right now. But then, there's the lack of talent to do so atm.

6 hours ago, Karneol said:

So you did go for the Greens? 

Do not take this too personal but coming from a more rural area my opinion of most of their members and voters is not very high.

Yes, I did.

Not offense taken. Having family in a more rural area (staunch CDU voters), I am aware of their issues with the Green party, and I don't value their political views very highly either. I mentioned as much in one of the older UK politics threads. If anybody wants to see have our cake and eat it attitude alive and kicking, they should just engage in a discussion with farmers from the EU. No offense.

4 hours ago, Loge said:

Nahles is on her way out. About time

Told you so.

4 hours ago, Loge said:

Don't see who could succeed her though.

When I google it I see two names:

Malu Dreyer- https://www.t-online.de/nachrichten/deutschland/parteien/id_85858504/andrea-nahles-spd-parteichefin-tritt-zurueck-uebernimmt-malu-dreyer-.html

I don't know her so I can't say anything about her. Maybe a new face could help the SPD to find itself.

Olaf Scholz-https://www.welt.de/debatte/kommentare/article194579937/Nahles-Ruecktritt-Jetzt-muss-Olaf-Scholz-die-SPD-uebernehmen.html

Just looked him up and he is against another GroKo. A step in the right direction to make the SPD popular again. But you have to keep in mind that he is blocking more transperancy in Bruessels:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/steuertransparenz-eu-country-by-country-reporting-1.4339940

Dreyer is prime minister in one of the smaller states. They may make her caretaker chair, but that's about it. Scholz isn't popular with the party members. That has always been the SPD's problem. Whenever they have a guy who could actually win election they hate them with passion. 

The timing of this resignation is a bit awkward. Three states hold elections in September / October and the SPD's prospects are not good. The new chair will start their term with a black eye. 

For the love of everything unholy not the red zero Olaf "Prince Valium" Scholz.

Let Dreyer or Schwesig be party chair, or give to whoever is running the NRW SPD right now...

I had to google it, it'S a guy named Hartmann. Anyway, just give him the party chair so he has a chance to boost his profile and maybe win NRW back from that CDU Hobbit. And from the oppositon benches he can at least try to make some hay. Is the Flensburg mayor still on offer?

It doesn't really matter, who will pick up from Nahles as parliamentary leader.

Archived