Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

I saw this when I was scanning his imdb page after watching Sicario. Is it definite, definite?

Ok, I guess it is. I am ready for all forms and variants of Dune. Might even do another re-read.

31 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Movie or Series?

Id think a series of some sort would be the better bet. 

I totally agree.... I'd rather a cable tv series even over a movie trilogy.... my problem with book adaptations is that a 2 hour movie can't do a good book justice... and with all the Dune books, you could easily do several seasons of TV....

However, Movies pay bigger dividends... especially since this brand --even if the final product is terrible-- will most probably make money

I absolutely LOVE Lynch's Dune for some reason even though I know I shouldnt.

I don't love it for the way it fails at telling the real Dune story, I just like it as its own thing separate from Dune lore. I watched it for years before I was even aware of the novel.

I'd like to see another stab at a series to somewhat properly tell the story.

I really need to watch "arrival" as "sicario" still leaves me worried that he's doing "blade Runner" and "dune".

I guess they need to give him a "star wars" film, "2001" , "Akira", "matrix" and "Firefly" while they are at it :)

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I really need to watch "arrival" as "sicario" still leaves me worried that he's doing "blade Runner" and "dune".

I guess they need to give him a "star wars" film, "2001" , "Akira", "matrix" and "Firefly" while they are at it :)

Why does him having done Sicario worry you? You didn't care for it? I've liked both films by him that I've seen  (Sicario & Prisoners). I need to see Arrival, but I've heard nothing but good things. 

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Why does him having done Sicario worry you? You didn't care for it? I've liked both films by him that I've seen  (Sicario & Prisoners). I need to see Arrival, but I've heard nothing but good things. 

I thought it was an 80s action film wrapped up in "documentary-style" visuals and pacing. Ultimately a very silly film. I'm pleased you mentioned "Prisoners" though as that suggests the problem with "sicario" was in the script and not in the direction. To be fair I didn't have an issue with the style of the film. A quick check also reveals a different screenwriter was involved in the other films so maybe Villeneuve has a similar issue to that of Ridley Scott an excellent director but a bit screenplay blind?

Hopefully it was just a case of the film not clicking with me though as the guy who wrote "Sicario" also wrote "hell or high water" which has received a lot of prasie. Fun fact the screenwriter played the deputy sheriff in the first two seasons of "Sons of anarchy"

20 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Sicario is my favorite Villenueve. Still need to see Incendies though. 

4 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Movie or Series?

Id think a series of some sort would be the better bet. 

The tweet says film series? Idk seems like it's extreme early stages but Villenueve has never done tv that I'm aware of so I'd be willing to bet he's directing a movie.

After Dark Tower and alongside Kingkiller, it seems to be the new thing to have a TV and movie franchise in simultaneous development. My guess with Dune is that they envisage a trilogy or 4-film core series adapting Dune itself, Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and a spin-off TV series that will either explore the backstory (probably in the appalling Prelude to Dune trilogy) or will adapt Heretics of DuneChapterhouse: Dune and that bullshit Anderson/Herbert Jnr. sequel duology, so you wouldn't have any recurring characters (apart from Duncan Idaho).

But yeah, this is going to be film to start off with. I hope it's 2 movies for Dune. Lynch showed you can't do the novel in one film and the mini-series showed you need 4 hours minimum, more comfortably 6 hours.

A key problem of the Dune franchise is that the first novel is really the only bit of it that everyone agrees is awesome, but you do kind of need the sequels to show what Herbert thematically intended (as Messiah was supposed to be part of the first novel and was cut for size, and Children was planned from the off) even though they are far less compelling works of fiction. And adapting the later books (hi invading empire of evil space nymphomaniacs!) is probably a total non-starter.

I LOVE Lynch's Dune.

But, yes, definitely need to cover Messiah and ideally Children too and that would be enough for three films I would think. I really hope they aren't planning on doing a Harry Potter-esque d-r-a-g-g--i-n-g it out for the dollar at the expense of the story thing.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

After Dark Tower and alongside Kingkiller, it seems to be the new thing to have a TV and movie franchise in simultaneous development.

Which is a bit strange given no-one has done it before. It took the Avengers, success before everyone tried doing that in cinema and it's arguably yet to be repeated. Maybe they are confusing the MCU and their spin off SHIELD and netflix heroes as a working example of this. But that would be a misinterpretation as the shows are deliberately disconnected from the films so you can watch them independently. With Dark Tower, Kingkiller and possibly Dune the TV shows would be integral (although I guess prequel stuff could be skippable if handled carefully) and no-one really knows whether that will work. So I'd have thought they'd at least wait until one franchise attempts it and it works before others trying.

16 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Sicario is my favorite Villenueve. Still need to see Incendies though. 

I get the impression it's a bit of a marmite film but with more people liking it than disliking it.

19 hours ago, red snow said:

My reply to this got eaten? You need to watch Arrival AND Enemy. I thought Enemy was a great film.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

My reply to this got eaten? You need to watch Arrival AND Enemy. I thought Enemy was a great film.

Particularly enemy as it has Jake Gylenhaal in it. Gvien they've done a few films together could he play Paul Atreides?

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Kyle MacLachlan was 25 when he played Paul. You can go a bit older - 15 was probably way too young in the book - without too much trouble, but that might be pushing it.

MacLachlan looked much more baby faced than Gylenhaal though. You could certainly age Paul up a bit, but JG looks like a man to me. Not a boy. The fact that he has a beard in most of his recent films probably has a lot to do with it though. 

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

A key problem of the Dune franchise is that the first novel is really the only bit of it that everyone agrees is awesome, but you do kind of need the sequels to show what Herbert thematically intended (as Messiah was supposed to be part of the first novel and was cut for size, and Children was planned from the off) even though they are far less compelling works of fiction. And adapting the later books (hi invading empire of evil space nymphomaniacs!) is probably a total non-starter.

I dunno. I think its fine if this new Dune ignores Herbert's original authorial intent; especially since a lot of what came later wasn't really foreshadowed at all in the original novel. And there's already a lot of themes in Dune to go alongside a really stellar sci-fi plot, like the environmentalism that Lynch mostly left out.

That said, I could see a trilogy being made (studios love trilogies), with Dune Part 1, Dune Part 2, and Messiah/Children; but I think the third movie would be quite a bit different from the novels, with Leto II being a more traditional protagonist and not going worm at the end.

And I agree that the God-Emperor and later books won't be touched with a 10-foot pole; which means the sequels Anderson/ and Jr. wrote are also non-starters. I could see the prequels being a spin-off show though. The writing was terrible, but there was a lot of plot to work with (the ones centered on Duke Leto at least; the Buterlian Jihad ones were terrible in all aspects).

I am excited though. I only saw Arrival, but I loved that movie. And while I dislike pretty much the entirety of the rest of the Dune franchise, I do love that original book.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Particularly enemy as it has Jake Gylenhaal in it. Gvien they've done a few films together could he play Paul Atreides?

As others have said, he's a little too manly to play Paul. (What about Duncan?)

Archived