Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

15 minutes ago, Isis said:

As others have said, he's a little too manly to play Paul. (What about Duncan?)

I forget that Maclachlan was a lot younger back then :)

Yeah - Gylenhaal is usually welcome wherever unless it's a disaster film or videogame movie. So if there is a suitable role for him it'd be good to see him involved.

2 hours ago, Isis said:

As others have said, he's a little too manly to play Paul. (What about Duncan?)

I'd rather see him go weird/dark; which he's certainly capable of doing. Have him be Piter De Vries or Feyd-Rautha.

Ok - having just seen "arrival" I'm a lot more curious about "dune" and "blade Runner". Villeneuve has a knack for capturing tone and the visuals in "arrival" were beautiful. Has me thinking Blade Runner will look very dark and rainy and Dune will have beautiful sand dunes in place of clouds. He also seemed to put enough faith in the screenwriter (and arguably vice versa) not to spoon-feed the plot of "arrival" - a skill that might be useful when adapting Dune.

• 4 months later...

I guess I'm in the minority in vastly preferring the Sci Fi mini series to the Lynch film. AND the follow up Children of Dune mini series (mashed up Dune Messiah and CoD).

I saw the Bladerunner trailer on the big screen last night before WW. It was truly stunning. I'm so glad Villeneve will be directing Dune.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Good news! The first draft of the script is complete and delivered to Legendary Pictures.

Bad news! Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Hackmeister are tangentially involved. Fortunately only very peripherally.

I wonder where Villeneuve got involved with this? When Blade Runner 2049 was finally in his grasp he had the screenplay revised... seemingly not so much that Francher was upset this time around.

• 2 months later...

The project is still on. They're developing the script that was delivered a few months ago. I get the impression that the big debate at the moment is whether to go for 1 or 2 movies for Dune itself.

Also at the link, the first concept art from the film, of a sandworm. Regular Denis Villeneuve collaborator Peter Konig posted a picture of a sandworm randomly on his site, but I think it's clear this is the first piece of artwork linked to the film (even if it is very early days).

If the Hobbit "took" 3 movies, a truncated Dune should take at least 2.

I think giving it time to breath in a longer format is the best approach. Make it a limited series, like the SciFi mini series was but with better budget, writing, and acting.

8 hours ago, Vaughn said:

I'm sure this is a common idea but it should be three movies. First, everything up to the escape into the desert. Second, Fremen part ending with the sand rider scene. Third, reuniting with Gurney through the end. 

That's pretty much the way the book is divided: Part 1, Dune; Part 2, Muad'Dib; and Part 3, The Prophet.

Dune is good space opera and could make sophisticated adventue as film. There are better 'adult' space operas in the prose form. James Blish's Cities in Flight, Asimov's Foundation (it could be action-o-fied) or that great over the top baroque space opera by Alfred Bester The Stars My Destination these have better stories than Dune.

As a TV series I would love to see HBO do Poul Anderson's Technic Civilization series. This is space opera one step above and beyond Star Trek and Star Wars in sophistication and the same time a ripping yarn.

On 11/11/2017 at 5:28 PM, Mark Antony said:

So happy Villeneuve is still doing this and not the Bond film he was rumored to do. 

The "failure" of Blade Runner probably saved us in a weird way. I was worried they'd bail on Dune because of Villeneuve's ability to be great but not bring in the money. But if Bond was on the cards I can see The Bond franchise getting cold feet, freeing up Dune.

Maybe they are confident that Blade Runner will make money in the long run?

Unless I misunderstand , you make it sound as though the people from James Bond decided to get away from Villeneuve, which is not the case. Villeneuve said he really wanted to do a James Bond movie one day, but Dune was more important for him and decided to pass. Craig personally wanted him, by the way, and if they are willing to put up with him and give him all the money that he wants, I'm sure going for a director of his choice was not a problem.

Archived