Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

That's great news. I'll be fascinated to see how this is cast. 

Some idle thoughts:

Michael Fassbender would be a good Leto. 

Vera Famiga for Jessica

Ray Liotta as Gurney although no idea if he can sing. 

Mike Myers as Fat Bastard as Vladimir Harkonen 

Someone genuinely young to play Paul, not some 20 something young Hollywood type playing a 15 year old to start. If they cast a kid who's maybe 17-18 then by the time film two is under way, he'll be 19+ and can pull off the third act of the book age wise. 

54 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Someone genuinely young to play Paul, not some 20 something young Hollywood type playing a 15 year old to start. If they cast a kid who's maybe 17-18 then by the time film two is under way, he'll be 19+ and can pull off the third act of the book age wise. 

Tbh I think they might just be better off aging up the character a bit. Not much, but it's tough enough finding anyone who's got the presence Paul is supposed to have, let alone a kid, and off the top of my head I don't think it's particularly important that he has to be specifically fifteen when the story starts.

Duke Leto should be

Sean Bean

obviously.

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Tbh I think they might just be better off aging up the character a bit. Not much, but it's tough enough finding anyone who's got the presence Paul is supposed to have, let alone a kid, and off the top of my head I don't think it's particularly important that he has to be specifically fifteen when the story starts.

As for this point, I do think it's important that Paul is a teen, not a young man, when everything goes sideways. His youth is a repeated plot theme throughout the book really until the final third. 

For practical and marketing reasons, I think they will age him up a bit 

• 4 months later...

Let me third casting McLachlan as Leto Atreides. I've also thought Liam Cunningham could make a good Gurney Halleck. 

Chalamet's a good choice for Paul. He even kind of looks like McLachlan - io9 did a side-by-side picture of them. 

They should do a totally odd casting choice for Feyd-Rautha, like casting Sting for it for the 1984 film. 

13 hours ago, Summer Bass said:

Let me third casting McLachlan as Leto Atreides. I've also thought Liam Cunningham could make a good Gurney Halleck. 

Chalamet's a good choice for Paul. He even kind of looks like McLachlan - io9 did a side-by-side picture of them. 

They should do a totally odd casting choice for Feyd-Rautha, like casting Sting for it for the 1984 film. 

I can imagine Denis Villeneuve suggesting this, the casting director getting a glint in their eye, and then Villeneuve choke-holding them to the floor and saying, "Do not even think of calling fucking Jared Leto. Do Not Go There."

By the gods of the inferno, please not Leto. Or some popstar like Justin Beber or something. I like Sting's music but he should've never been cast as Feyd.

/shiver

That chilling thought aside, I'm extremely excited for this adaptation.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

I can imagine Denis Villeneuve suggesting this, the casting director getting a glint in their eye, and then Villeneuve choke-holding them to the floor and saying, "Do not even think of calling fucking Jared Leto. Do Not Go There."

I'd hope not. He's too old to play Feyd-Rautha (although I bet he could be a really unsettling Piter De Vries), and they should cast someone comparable in age to Chalamet since both he and Paul are supposed to be really teenagers/twenty-somethings in the book. Someone who can just ooze vanity and arrogance.

On 7/17/2018 at 2:50 AM, Summer Bass said:

So like Thomas Middleditch? 

[stammering] "You see it, um there. On my hip, er, um, it's your er death!" 

Timothy Oliphant for Tuek 

49 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Might be too on point, but Pedro Pascal would make an awesome Feyd. 

A bit too old, I think. I could see him as Duncan Idaho though. If they also make all 6 Dune novels, he'd be the only person to appear in all of them.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:01 AM, Triskjavikson said:

So the thing i wanted to post but am too tech-stupid to post is that the other day I saw a vanity plate of "MUAD DIB."  And for what it was worth, it was on a Tesla.  In the "pics or it didn't happen" tradition, I have a pic!  I just can't figure out how to post it.  

I post things to Twitter and then link there. You can also do the same thing with Instagram, Photobucket, Imgur etc. You can also do it via Facebook if you set that specific photograph to public viewing.

You can't upload pics directly to the board because that would an invitation to utter insanity (and would destroy the board's bandwidth allowance).

Archived