Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

• 5 months later...

Nice.

Cast so far:

Paul Atreides: Timothee Chalamet

Jessica Atreides: Rebecca Ferguson

The Beast Rabban: Dave Bautista

Also confirmation that it will take two film to adapt Dune.

Someone online suggested Vincent D'onofrio for Baron Harkonnen and now that's all I can think of.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, Werthead said:

Nice.

Cast so far:

Paul Atreides: Timothee Chalamet

Jessica Atreides: Rebecca Ferguson

The Beast Rabban: Dave Bautista

Also confirmation that it will take two film to adapt Dune.

Someone online suggested Vincent D'onofrio for Baron Harkonnen and now that's all I can think of.

D'onofrio isn't obese and gross enough. Obviously they could fatten him up but I don't quite see it. The charcater needs to have that bloated Steve Bannon / Louie Anderson look. 

Stilgar is the character I think they need to nail in terms of casting. He's probably the third most important character in the book. No idea who'd be good though.

Stellan Skarsgard announced as Baron Harkonnen. Huh. So I guess they aren't going the grossly obese route unless they craft him one hell of a fat suit. That said, I like him a lot as an actor. He'll certainly bring a suitably creepy sense of menace to the role.

Dave Bautista as Rabban is a stroke of genius. 

6 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Stellan Skarsgard announced as Baron Harkonnen. Huh. So I guess they aren't going the grossly obese route unless they craft him one hell of a fat suit. That said, I like him a lot as an actor. He'll certainly bring a suitably creepy sense of menace to the role.

Dave Bautista as Rabban is a stroke of genius. 

Yeah, I'm good with this. He's great and they can make him sufficiently gross and dissipated for that to work without going full Fat Bastard.

How about Kit Harrington for Duncan? Dark hair, brooding, can bring in those GoT nerds... 

11 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

People get too hung up on unimportant details when books like Dune are adapted. It doesn't matter if Baron Harkonen is fat any more than it matters if Lex Luthor is bald in any given Superman adaptation. What matters is the sense of decadent consumption and greed that the Baron's excessive weight is meant to convey, just like Luthor's baldness was meant to say something about powerful men who are ruled by their insecurities.

You say that now, but just wait if they cast a black or Asian actress as Irulan. 

Speaking of which, Idris Elba for Duncan or Gurney. 

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm looking forward to see who they cast as Gurney Halleck. I loved Patrick Stewart as Halleck in Lynch's Dune.

Its been remarked before that Stewart could probably still pull it off

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

You say that now, but just wait if they cast a black or Asian actress as Irulan. 

Speaking of which, Idris Elba for Duncan or Gurney. 

He would be great in either role.  “Teacher” just suits him.  I also like his rebellious streak for later Duncan Idaho.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Its been remarked before that Stewart could probably still pull it off

Stewart in Dune: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jN3hnJVjTDA/maxresdefault.jpg

Stewart in 2018:

https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/patrickstewart-oscar2018.jpg

Honestly, yeah. There's a few more wrinkles, not that hard to cover up Villenueve wants, and grey eyebrows and that's about all that's different.

How about Kit Harrington for Duncan? Dark hair, brooding, can bring in those GoT nerds... 

Nope. Ryan Gosling? Maybe a smaller role than he's used to, but it's the only role that would appear in every movie (assuming they make all 6 books into films, which is a bit of a stretch).

IMO he's a little seasoned for the role. I like the idea of him as Duncan, but I also think it'd be a mistake for them to cast anybody most known as a Game of Thrones actor.

I think Pascal is better-known now for Narcos, as being the only consistent lead actor on a hit Netflix series for 3 seasons is a much bigger deal than doing 8 episodes on GoT (albeit with a memorable death scene) five years ago. He's also the lead on the new Star Wars TV series, which may hinder his availability.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived