Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

I actually really liked the Sci-Fi miniseries and had it on DVD. I think it did a pretty decent job of translating the two sequels to screen ( I think it did anyway, its been a long time). I can't remember how faithful they were either, but they certainly held together as a story a lot better than the Lynch movie. 

I would like to see at least 2 movies in the series, even though I think the whole thing would work better as a tv show.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I actually really liked the Sci-Fi miniseries and had it on DVD. I think it did a pretty decent job of translating the two sequels to screen ( I think it did anyway, its been a long time). I can't remember how faithful they were either, but they certainly held together as a story a lot better than the Lynch movie.

The adaptation of Dune wasn't entirely faithful - it cut out some subplots and added others (such as giving Irulan a significant role) - but overall I thought it did a decent job of adapting the story. The Children of Dune miniseries was a bit less faithful, but given that the books it was based on were so tedious that they killed any desire I had to read any more of the Dune sequels I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

My concern is that they aren't filming it all in one go as it increases the possibility significantly that the second part is never filmed.

Co-signed. That's a major issue unless the budget is very conservative so that it has less headway to make to turn a profit.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

I suspect that wouldn't be his jam, although I could see him doing Chasm City (the story is a lot stronger and the Melding Plague imagery is more in his wheelhouse).

Hard SF definitely isn't Del Toro's immediate comfort zone, but even in Revelation Space proper (I just re-read the first book) there's a lot of the atmosphere and creepy body stuff that I think would appeal to him. Particularly the Nostalgia for Infinity strands.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:33 AM, Werthead said:

Nolan is a solid visual director, but he has problems with story, structure and pacing, particularly in longer movies. Dunkirk was superb because he pared all of that down to the bare essentials. InterstellarInception and his three Batman films all had wonderful imagery but were also quite baggy and had moments of incoherence (even the otherwise splendid Dark Knight is let down by trying to shoehorn Two-Face into the film without the time to do him justice and Joker simultaneously). Before Dunkirk, I would say that Nolan's more cohesive, strongest movie was The Prestige.

IMHO, Dark Night would have been a much stronger film without Two Face. There is no need for the rush to jump cut from Harvey Dent into the origins of Two Face, but instead give Harvey Dent more initial screen time or introduce him as the DA in the previous film. Also Nolan's films kinda ignores that one of the big recurring motifs of Harvey Dent/Two-Face's character is Bruce Wayne/Batman's commitment to redeem him.

Did Richard Jordan really embody Duncan Idaho either back in the Lynch version? 

Also, he's not really a big deal in the first book, and, even if the movie is so successful they decide to adapt the whole series, I suspect there will be such massive to changes to the other books that who even knows if Idaho would be in those movies. Or what role he'd play.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Come on, they're picking a guy who gets cloned as the ultimate human for 2000 years and becomes a sex God later. 

Who else?

IDK, Pascal? I just can’t see Momoa pulling off the material for books 2-4, specially the Alia storyline and the Leto one.

For the 5th and 6th I guess they could change the actor, wasn’t that ghola supposed To be younger than the previous ones? 

54 minutes ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

I really can’t see him as Idaho, kinda dissapointed actually. I’ll just have to trust Villeneuve on this one.

I wish someone like Benicio del Toro, Viggo Mortensen or Pedro Pascal would’ve been cast as Idaho tbh

Anyway, I wish they get Charles Dance to play The Emperor :P

Basically, you want a Duncan with a TON of swagger? :lol:

Archived