Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Lot of EP credits don't mean anything in practical terms. It might just been something the studio had to throw-in to the deal to get the rights to make the movie.

Stephen King has an EP credit on almost every TV adaptation of his works (on movies he usually takes a writing credit instead); it doesn't mean he has anything to do with all those projects.

I really hope you are right.  However the creation of “Dune: Sisterhood” presumable based on the excremental work of Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert set in Frank Herbert’s creation suggests they might have more pull than they should have.

Here's the thing about any involvement by Herbert and Anderson - what I really, really want is great actors, unbelievable sets and cinematography and design to tell this story. And this movie will have that. I'm pretty confident that DV has the talent to override any meddling because unlike the recent SW stuff, this is a completely told and intricately detailed story already. So there is no 'who are Rey's parents, who is Snoke, what's the tie into a movie from the 80s' BS to bog it down. 

All I'm saying is that this is going to be the greatest epic sci-fi movie of our lifetimes. 

On 1/29/2019 at 8:42 PM, Corvinus said:

Certainly not a bad choice. Considering Ferguson is Jessica, I can see Chalamet being their child. :P

My preference would have been Viggo Mortensen. 

Ooh, I'd have loved to see Mortensen play Duke Leto.  Oscar Isaac is a pretty good choice though.  I hope they don't muck it up; Dune is a hard choice to translate from book to movie.  (I didn't care for the original movie; the only thing worthwhile was the casting of Jurgen Prochnow as Duke Leto).  

Finished my re-read of Dune, and am wondering how they'll divide the two movies. Where will the break point be between them?

I'm thinking the first movie will cover everything up until Paul starts having his visions of the future, maybe all the way to where the time jump happens. There's a lot that happens off page and only mentioned in the last third of the book that the second movie could cover in more detail.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When are we going to get a trailer?

There probably wasn't time to get one ready for the Super Bowl, so the next logical big event would be San Diego Comic-Con, where I'd be surprised if there wasn't a heavy Dune presence (ha, and probably Wheel of Time as well). They probably want to start ramping up the promotional stuff before July though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a trailer landing a bit earlier, maybe April or May? They may also be looking for a big movie to attach the trailer to, with Black Widow being an obvious choice.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There probably wasn't time to get one ready for the Super Bowl, so the next logical big event would be San Diego Comic-Con, where I'd be surprised if there wasn't a heavy Dune presence (ha, and probably Wheel of Time as well). They probably want to start ramping up the promotional stuff before July though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a trailer landing a bit earlier, maybe April or May? They may also be looking for a big movie to attach the trailer to, with Black Widow being an obvious choice.

I’d heard we were getting a trailer in December but it never materialized.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d heard we were getting a trailer in December but it never materialized.

That was clearly never going to happen. Far too far out from release. You can get away with that if you're Fellowship of the Ring (which actually released the first trailer 18 months out from release) but not really otherwise.

They did wrap shooting last July and went into post, which is actually earlier then I'd thought, so they could have something ready to show relatively soon. And they did show some material at the Paris film festival last week (although some of it was lacking effects footage).

This is pretty much like LoTR though, isn't it? Huge, legendary book which is a cornerstone of its genre being adapted as a multi-movie series. If you want to make the second/third movies, you need to the first one to be a hit so marketing in advance to build the hype is critical. 

Unlike the MCU, where there were many existing characters which could be be rolled out over several movies to build up the franchise, this has to land from the start or you're looking at something like 'Bladerunner 2049' where the box office doesn't justify a sequel. 

3 hours ago, Vaughn said:

This is pretty much like LoTR though, isn't it? Huge, legendary book which is a cornerstone of its genre being adapted as a multi-movie series. If you want to make the second/third movies, you need to the first one to be a hit so marketing in advance to build the hype is critical. 

Unlike the MCU, where there were many existing characters which could be be rolled out over several movies to build up the franchise, this has to land from the start or you're looking at something like 'Bladerunner 2049' where the box office doesn't justify a sequel. 

I seriously doubt Villenueve wanted to turn Blade Runner into a series so I'm not certain the comparison makes sense.  I just want this to only be Frank Herbert's Dune that is adapted.  KJA and Brian Herbert's stuff is absolute excrement.

10 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Different orders of magnitude of popularity. LotR had sold over 200 million copies before the films came out, Dune has sold between 10 and 15 million copies now (in fact, its status as SF's biggest-selling single novel appears to be in danger from The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy). It has a reasonable amount of name recognition from book fans, but among the general audience it's obscure, whilst most people had at least vaguely heard of LotR.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just want this to only be Frank Herbert's Dune that is adapted.  KJA and Brian Herbert's stuff is absolutely excrement.

Agreed but you know this is only the first half of the first book in this movie, right? If they don't get to make a second one, that would be tragic* given the talent involved. 

* assuming this isn't terrible, which based on 'Arrival' and 'BR2049' and the cast, I think it won't be. 

41 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Agreed but you know this is only the first half of the first book in this movie, right? If they don't get to make a second one, that would be tragic* given the talent involved. 

* assuming this isn't terrible, which based on 'Arrival' and 'BR2049' and the cast, I think it won't be. 

I have every confidence in Villenueve.  Both Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 show a deft and delicate touch needed for this film.  What keeps me nervous is the way KJA and Brian Herbert like to see their excremental material given equal billing with Frank Herbert's creation.  See, the Dune: Sisterhood program that will be on HBO and has to be based on the KJA/Brian Herbert shit.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

ok, where's the damn teaser trailer?

Not for a while. There was another film festival next week (just cancelled) where they were going to show some more behind-closed-doors footage. The full trailer is probably still a way off.

I think the idea is they don't want to overload the marketing too early. The film's still not out until December.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

So if rumors of Liet-Kynes being gender swapped are true, then Liet and Stilgar are almost certainly going to be lovers, yes?

I don't think that tracks. If they gender swapped the character it could be just to add another good part for a woman to the cast in a role where it could easily be done without impacting the story. Making Stilgar into Chani's father seems like a poor idea. 

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

I don't think that tracks. If they gender swapped the character it could be just to add another good part for a woman to the cast in a role where it could easily be done without impacting the story. Making Stilgar into Chani's father seems like a poor idea. 

Not saying it's a good idea, just that I could see them doing it. In the books Stilgar calls Liet his brother, and Chani his niece, implying that Stil and Liet are either siblings or in-laws. I suppose they could make Duncan-Brewster and Bardem siblings, or maybe more likely have Liet be Stilgar's sister in law.

Archived