Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

I don't know how you can determine which is more of a reach: giant sandworms that produce a drug which allows the user to see the future or a fallen angel/demi-god (don't @ me Tolkienheads) who created a ring of power which also make the user invisible* because he was mad at elves? 

* Why does the One Ring make the bearer invisible anyways? Was Sauron doing some Metal Gear Solid type missions in Eriador back in the day? 

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's generally why I look askance at anyone who says that Arrakis is the best feat of worldbuilding in SF, rather that Kim Stanley Robinson's take on Mars or Brian Aldiss's Helliconia. It's a hugely fun and atmospheric feat of worldbuilding, but in terms of coherence falls apart the second you apply scrutiny to it. So the trick is you don't, and roll with it. 

To be fair, there are different aspects of worldbuilding and Dune does many of them very well, including on a thematic level that was more important to Herbert than making logical scientific sense, but yes, on an actual, SF-structure-that-actually-works level Helliconia holds up way better than Dune and so do several others.

Dune was never meant to be hard SF though so I don't really care. It's almost more of a sorta name-it-grimdark-if-you-did-it-now spin on planetary romance.

The stillsuit mask aspect of the adaptation plays into this because it affects plot and thematic points about how necessary covering up completely is in the harshness of life out there, rather than just not making sense, but it's probably a necessary cinematic compromise, and I can hope it'll only be some of the time, they just won't use masked-up shots in press stills coz that would be silly.

8 hours ago, Vaughn said:

* Why does the One Ring make the bearer invisible anyways? Was Sauron doing some Metal Gear Solid type missions in Eriador back in the day? 

Perhaps that's just what Gollum wanted, and after being used by him for so long it defaults to invisibility when anyone who doesn't understand how to use it puts it on?

9 hours ago, Vaughn said:

I don't know how you can determine which is more of a reach: giant sandworms that produce a drug which allows the user to see the future or a fallen angel/demi-god (don't @ me Tolkienheads) who created a ring of power which also make the user invisible* because he was mad at elves? 

Also, why let your rogue keep a sword that fucking glows whenever orcs are about?

9 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

It's probably in here somewhere, but anyone know who is playing Feyd?  The webs are inconclusive in my short, lazy search.

No reliable casting news on Feyd, Shaddam, and some others. I have a feeling they are holding them until the second movie, though I hope they are just keeping those castings under wraps

18 hours ago, Werthead said:

Dune has so many problems with basic credibility (like where the hell does the planet's oxygen come from?) that it's really worth not getting hung up on that stuff at all. For all its reputation as the biggest SF novel of all time, Dune is in many ways much more of a work of fantasy than LotR.

I thought the process of spice being created by the Sandworms/Sandtrout is responsible for the Oxygen-Nitrogen Atmosphere of Arrakis?

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair, there are different aspects of worldbuilding and Dune does many of them very well, including on a thematic level that was more important to Herbert than making logical scientific sense, but yes, on an actual, SF-structure-that-actually-works level Helliconia holds up way better than Dune and so do several others.

Dune was never meant to be hard SF though so I don't really care. It's almost more of a sorta name-it-grimdark-if-you-did-it-now spin on planetary romance.

The stillsuit mask aspect of the adaptation plays into this because it affects plot and thematic points about how necessary covering up completely is in the harshness of life out there, rather than just not making sense, but it's probably a necessary cinematic compromise, and I can hope it'll only be some of the time, they just won't use masked-up shots in press stills coz that would be silly.

I see Dune, the entire (actual series) as more philosophical fiction than "science-fiction".  It is part of the reason the non-existent prequels/sequels by KJA and Brian Herbert suck so very much.  They have absolutely none of Frank Herbert's subtlety or philosophical depth.  They're just really tough pieces of toilet paper.  

On 4/14/2020 at 5:23 PM, Vaughn said:

It doesn't turn you invisible.  It makes you a wraith.  Other wraiths and things that have seen the Trees can still see you. So like Glorfindel or Galadriel wouldn't have any problem seeing you.  Possibly not Gandalf or Saruman either although since their power is hidden they might not be able to.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The rumor mill says there will be some footage released with the re-release of Inception for its 10 year anniversay.

Inception will be released on July 17 (don't know how wide), which was the original slot for the new Nolan movie Tenet, which got pushed back to July 31. Apparently, Warner Bros will show some footage from several of their upcoming films, Dune included.

And in other news, some studio reshoots are planned for August, but nothing concerning. Dec. 18 is still the release date.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:56 PM, Corvinus85 said:

The rumor mill says there will be some footage released with the re-release of Inception for its 10 year anniversay.

Inception will be released on July 17 (don't know how wide), which was the original slot for the new Nolan movie Tenet, which got pushed back to July 31. Apparently, Warner Bros will show some footage from several of their upcoming films, Dune included.

And in other news, some studio reshoots are planned for August, but nothing concerning. Dec. 18 is still the release date.

Reportedly a full trailer will be released in the last week of July, during Virtual Comic-Con.

It sounds like Warners have gotten extremely excited about Dune behind the scenes and want to throw absolutely everything and the kitchen sink at marketing for it, which I'd be happier with if they weren't setting themselves up for a fall.

• 1 month later...

A very good interview with Denis Villeneuve. He gives an update on the Dune status and the challenges in the Covid climate. The first 25mins is dedicated to this. From 27min on-wards he talks of the directors who have influenced him. Interestingly Stephen Spielberg is mentioned first, with Close Encounters of the Third Kind brought up.

• 3 weeks later...

Our first (somewhat indistinct) glimpse of a sandworm.

Current reports are that the trailer will go online on 9 September, although they may bring it forwards. It's already been airing in Canadian cinemas ahead of Tenet and people have been posting images and videos online but they keep being taken down.

The teaser is incredible. I was sceptical about Chalamet but he nails that "annoying teenager who may also be kind of Jesus" vibe precisely. Charlotte Rampling, one of the best actresses in the world, completely nails the Reverend Mother and those establishing shots of the desert are impressive. Dave Bautista makes the Beast look terrifying and the Baron in his weird bath looks formidable. Also, the ornithopher looks like a huge improvement over the weird flying box of the Lynch movie. 

If that's Zimmer's actual score as well: :O  Definitely not one of his phoned-in ones.

The cast list at the end is so stacked that Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa and Javier Bardem all get a special "with" credit (normally maybe one actor a film justifies that).

Also, this is, weirdly, the teaser for the full trailer which will be released on 9 September. But oddly the teaser is not available (legitimately) online. Huh.

Archived