Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

I’m loving what I’m seeing so far. It has that dark monochrome look to it that really seems to fit ( the opposite of the TV movies they made.. ugh)

That Baron Harkonnen coming out of the ‘water’ was gorgeous... apocalypse now vibes. 

Very excited. Will it do well enough to spawn a franchise.. to get the next two books adapted? I’m guessing it won’t which is a shame, but one film is going to make me more than happy.

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m loving what I’m seeing so far. It has that dark monochrome look to it that really seems to fit ( the opposite of the TV movies they made.. ugh)

That Baron Harkonnen coming out of the ‘water’ was gorgeous... apocalypse now vibes. 

Very excited. Will it do well enough to spawn a franchise.. to get the next two books adapted? I’m guessing it won’t which is a shame, but one film is going to make me more than happy.

The first film only covers the first half of Dune itself, so not quite so much. If it does well enough to get one sequel, that will complete the story. How they handle the other books is much less clear. They are much less commercial.

One possibility would be to continue with Messiah and Children as a premium cable series, and I suspect not even bother with the later ones.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The first film only covers the first half of Dune itself, so not quite so much. If it does well enough to get one sequel, that will complete the story. How they handle the other books is much less clear. They are much less commercial.

One possibility would be to continue with Messiah and Children as a premium cable series, and I suspect not even bother with the later ones.

I seem to remember actually preferring the SYFY tv shows version of Messiah and Children, compared to how it handled the first book. Of course that had a young James McAvoy in it and he really stood out at the time. 

I don't imagine they would work especially well for most audiences however, only those who were heavily invested in the first movie would really go watch them. I still doubt this movie will do especially well either, probably a bit like the Blade Runner sequel.

6 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Does anyone have a link to the leaked trailer? I've been trying to find it but can't for some reason.

I'm so excited for this movie.

As Ran said, obviously a big no-no here (plus it's a waste of time, links are being taken down for copyright violations as fast as they're being put up).

I'm a bit baffled as to why they're trying to keep the teaser exclusive to the cinema, that's just weird. In fact, marketing for the film overall is completely insane. This movie is out in three months and as far as the casual viewer knows, it doesn't exist.

Ahh, sorry. Didn't realize it was against the rules. Oh well - I can wait, or find it by myself.

I wonder about the marketing strategy too. But then again, have they confirmed that it will actually be out this year? I could see this getting delayed pretty heavily, especially if COVID's second wave gets bad throughout the world...

51 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Ahh, sorry. Didn't realize it was against the rules. Oh well - I can wait, or find it by myself.

I wonder about the marketing strategy too. But then again, have they confirmed that it will actually be out this year? I could see this getting delayed pretty heavily, especially if COVID's second wave gets bad throughout the world...

The teaser did reiterate the date (IIRC) and it did say ONLY IN THEATRES (sorry, THEATERS), somewhat threateningly, at the end.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

This movie is out in three months and as far as the casual viewer knows, it doesn't exist.

This is it. I appreciate that the pandemic ruined many, many plans but to start a slow roll out with the VF article, stuff like Momoa posting stuff on his social feeds, etc... and then nothing all for months is just weird. I know the director was wrestling with getting the film completed in lockdown but there's no reason that should have put the brakes on marketing the damn thing.

Already getting mad about the lack of sequel. This is Buckaroo Banzai all over again. ; )

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

This is it. I appreciate that the pandemic ruined many, many plans but to start a slow roll out with the VF article, stuff like Momoa posting stuff on his social feeds, etc... and then nothing all for months is just weird. I know the director was wrestling with getting the film completed in lockdown but there's no reason that should have put the brakes on marketing the damn thing.

Already getting mad about the lack of sequel. This is Buckaroo Banzai all over again. ; )

I can understand the cold feet over advertising given the situation. Why waste a load of money if there's another outreak/lockdown prior to the release? I think it'll be more a hard and fast deal. James Bond will have to spend it's promotional money all over again for instance.

It'll be interesting to see how Tenet fares in the US and china as I think that will determine how much they'll push Dune. 

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

A trailer for a teaser trailer.... What a time to be alive

No, tomorrow's the actual full-bloodied 4 real trailer. This is the online teaser (as opposed to the one in front of Tenet, which is cinema-exclusive even though it's very easy to find online).

The marketing for the film has been a bit shit so far, it has to be said, and it's odd they're only ramping up the hype 12 weeks before release. Let's see if that bold play pays off for them.

We saw the teaser for the trailer prior to the movie Tenet this weekend.  The teaser looked good, but as soon as the box appeared on screen, I heard all my girls in the bed of the truck squeal in unison, "Put your right hand in the box!"

Fortunately it was a drive-in movie, so nobody was too bothered by it, but I am afraid that all the jokey Dune re-dubs like the link above will have spoiled it for the girls.  

Archived