Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

42 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Ditto about the song in the trailer. But that's not the soundtrack.

The song won't be in the film itself, but it'll probably be over the closing credits and in the soundtrack release. It is an arrangement by Zimmer himself, although it's hard to tell if it's the original vocals remixed or someone else singing (I'd lean on the latter).

Looks good.

On Momoa: I can see the annoyance, but while it's not the Duncan we know from the books, his persona is a perfectly decent fit for the character  of Duncan: it's just his demeanour that will change. I'd have preferred a stiller calmer bloke, but I can get with it.

The change of Jihad to Crusade makes sense. They mean almost the same thing but while culturally more fitting to the Fremen Jihad has a connotation nowadays that it did not have when Herbert wrote it, even though this particular Jihad is a violent takeover.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

I couldn't help but think if you hadn't read the books, then you would have no clue what this is, what it's about, etc.

That's what I thought too.  It came through as, well, thin.  No substance there.  Sure as hell no story.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

should've brought in toto for the score.

You mean like "Africa" Toto? I like it.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

This is only the first half of book 1

This movie is only half of the first book? If so, that explains the rumor I've heard there is no Feyd Rautha (not sure if this is true or not).

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

That's what I thought too.  It came through as, well, thin.  No substance there.  Sure as hell no story.

Right? It truly felt like a YA thing, and Dune is just not that. And even then, it came across as a YA thing that had no plot, story, etc. I never read (or watched) Twilight, Hunger Games, or any of the rest. But I totally understand what the stories are based on the trailers.

Trailers are getting worse. They show you the whole movie, and aren't that great at being interesting. This trailer specifically somehow spoiled a lot without telling you what it was about. Ah well, I'm still going (if theaters are open).

I don't know why, but I generally can't stand song/poems written inside of works of fiction. Like the Bilbo stuff or Gurney's songs - I just skip right over them. In the context of 'Dune', I wonder if they'll just skip over that or not. Outside of 'the Witcher', which was very arch, having a character bust out a sonnet or ballad in the middle of a sci-fi epic seems out of touch with modern movie tastes.

edit - just watched the interview and it seems clear they'll have Brolin doing something with music. I trust DV to make it work.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

The change of Jihad to Crusade makes sense. They mean almost the same thing but while culturally more fitting to the Fremen Jihad has a connotation nowadays that it did not have when Herbert wrote it, even though this particular Jihad is a violent takeover.

Yeah. It's a story written by a white American man about the white figurehead of an army that sets out to conquer the galaxy being filmed by another white guy, and the Fremen culture is determined far more by their current environment than their origins on Earth many thousands of years earlier. In the current political environment, it's a sensible move.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

After this, I have zero reservations about the choice of Brolin as Gurney Halleck, though it doesn't appear they gave him a defining scar. And my reservations about Momoa are slightly reduced, too.

I saw the shots of them filming in the desert somewhere in the middle east and I got scared for them to be careful enough to avoid attracting sandworms.

Unsurprisingly the trailer looks gorgeous. The lead looks really young/frail (in a Hollywood where even teenage kids look ripped) but I'm only comparing to previous live action versions.

It looks epic which is good but also comes with the concern of how they squeeze this into one film. Also still think it's a worry this is only half the book without the second half being filmed. I hope it works as a single film.

They need to change their logo/poster. No one wants to be reminded/associated with "heroes" tv show

It looks great.  This movie looks better every new bit of info I see about it.  Momoa looks fine unless you just don't like Momoa.  I'm fairly ambivalent about him as I have never seen a performance.  Also it is true Idaho isn't on the page much in the material this movie is referencing so I don't have a real set idea of his personality.  Everyone else looks very good to near perfect. 

Archived