Mark Antony

Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

3 hours ago, Vaughn said:

This is pretty much like LoTR though, isn't it? Huge, legendary book which is a cornerstone of its genre being adapted as a multi-movie series. If you want to make the second/third movies, you need to the first one to be a hit so marketing in advance to build the hype is critical. 

Unlike the MCU, where there were many existing characters which could be be rolled out over several movies to build up the franchise, this has to land from the start or you're looking at something like 'Bladerunner 2049' where the box office doesn't justify a sequel. 

I seriously doubt Villenueve wanted to turn Blade Runner into a series so I'm not certain the comparison makes sense.  I just want this to only be Frank Herbert's Dune that is adapted.  KJA and Brian Herbert's stuff is absolute excrement.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

10 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

This is pretty much like LoTR though, isn't it? Huge, legendary book which is a cornerstone of its genre being adapted as a multi-movie series. If you want to make the second/third movies, you need to the first one to be a hit so marketing in advance to build the hype is critical. 

Unlike the MCU, where there were many existing characters which could be be rolled out over several movies to build up the franchise, this has to land from the start or you're looking at something like 'Bladerunner 2049' where the box office doesn't justify a sequel. 

Different orders of magnitude of popularity. LotR had sold over 200 million copies before the films came out, Dune has sold between 10 and 15 million copies now (in fact, its status as SF's biggest-selling single novel appears to be in danger from The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy). It has a reasonable amount of name recognition from book fans, but among the general audience it's obscure, whilst most people had at least vaguely heard of LotR.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I just want this to only be Frank Herbert's Dune that is adapted.  KJA and Brian Herbert's stuff is absolutely excrement.

Agreed but you know this is only the first half of the first book in this movie, right? If they don't get to make a second one, that would be tragic* given the talent involved. 

* assuming this isn't terrible, which based on 'Arrival' and 'BR2049' and the cast, I think it won't be. 

41 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Agreed but you know this is only the first half of the first book in this movie, right? If they don't get to make a second one, that would be tragic* given the talent involved. 

* assuming this isn't terrible, which based on 'Arrival' and 'BR2049' and the cast, I think it won't be. 

I have every confidence in Villenueve.  Both Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 show a deft and delicate touch needed for this film.  What keeps me nervous is the way KJA and Brian Herbert like to see their excremental material given equal billing with Frank Herbert's creation.  See, the Dune: Sisterhood program that will be on HBO and has to be based on the KJA/Brian Herbert shit.

48 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

ok, where's the damn teaser trailer?

Not for a while. There was another film festival next week (just cancelled) where they were going to show some more behind-closed-doors footage. The full trailer is probably still a way off.

I think the idea is they don't want to overload the marketing too early. The film's still not out until December.