Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

16 minutes ago, argonak said:

Its been a while since I read the book (actually grabbed it off my shelf last night and started again), but wasn't it a form of martial arts with all the extra bene gesserit training of muscle and nerve control?

Basically, yes.

26 minutes ago, argonak said:

I always wondered what drugs the writer was taking to jump from space jujitsu to shouting at people through a microphone.

David Lynch thought doing "superfast kung fu in the desert" looked pretty stupid. The 2000 mini-series did that and...it looked pretty stupid.

The weirding modules as a technological replacement is something Frank Herbert signed off on and thought was fine.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

David Lynch thought doing "superfast kung fu in the desert" looked pretty stupid. The 2000 mini-series did that and...it looked pretty stupid.

The weirding modules as a technological replacement is something Frank Herbert signed off on and thought was fine.

Yes, but in the modern era it's possible, so we'll see.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Could go for an Equilibrium style of martial arts where they don't move fast, they just know where to move every time.

On 9/17/2020 at 6:29 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Yes, but in the modern era it's possible, so we'll see.

As I understand it, to a normal, untrained person (i.e. we the viewers) the weirding way looks like teleportation. I've always imagined it as people just suddenly falling down dead/incapacitated since regular people wouldn't even be able to see the movements. It would be like the Quicksilver scenes from the X-Men movies where, from the other's POV, every enemy in the room just fell down.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, let's hope that by then going to the cinema won't be a risky situation.

F*ck this virus honestly. But yeah, it's a small thing all things considered. I may re read the novels in compensation for this :leaving:

Let's wait and see how this impact the possibility movie 2 though.

12 minutes ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

Well, let's hope that by then going to the cinema won't be a risky situation.

F*ck this virus honestly. But yeah, it's a small thing all things considered. I may re read the novels in compensation for this :leaving:

Let's wait and see how this impact the possibility movie 2 though.

The small blessing is that I was going to go to the theater for this and now won't be tempted. Nothing else on the slate that I can't wait to see on my TV, including WW: 1984

On 9/17/2020 at 12:08 AM, Werthead said:

The Matrix shows the way for this sort of thing. Bullet-time when two combatants are going at it beyond the speed of normal men, occasional glimpses of the action from outside using the kind of effects the superhero movies have been using for speedsters. Should be doable now. The mini-series kind of tried for it but had limited budget and didn't really come up with a good approach.

That said...

On 9/17/2020 at 12:08 AM, Werthead said:

The weirding modules were pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

Delayed until next October. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this stupid virus.

I know it couldn't matter less compared to, you know, all this, but man is this disappointing.

Probably for the best though. Lessens the chances that its a box office bomb and increases the chances that part 2 will end up getting greenlight.

14 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Delayed until next October. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this stupid virus.

I know it couldn't matter less compared to, you know, all this, but man is this disappointing.

Sucks but what can they do when the pandemic is complicating things so much? I guess I can wait.

Bummer, but pretty much on brand with 2020. What can ya do? We've got much bigger problems to deal with.

I tried watching Lynch's Dune the other day. Just...no. Obscene excuse for a movie. What the fuck is up with the lights they used during filming, by the way? Everyone is over exposed and sweaty and gross, and that's BEFORE they even get to Arrakis. 

This really sucks.. but at this point I feel numb and indifferent to movies, they are like a fading memory from a bygone time.

You'd like to think this gives them more time to make the movie even more perfect, but of course that won't happen, the whole thing will be mothballed while everyone goes away and works on other stuff.

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

What's the big summer movie next summer that the studio doesn't want to put 'Dune' up against? I expected the delay but figured it would be pushed back to early summer 2021, not October.

probably like 7 super hero movies?

Massive bummer. The one film I was really hyped to see above all others and I held out hope that it would be shown.

However when they pushed No time to Die again last week, I got a feeling this might happen. Just really sucks, would have been something nice to look forward to around Christmas, I could see myself see it twice in cinemas.

I'm surprised they pushed it that far out though, dam, thought it would go to Spring.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/regal-cinemas-likely-suspending-operations-at-all-u-s-locations-11601793090

Considering what we are facing because people just will not mask and distance and observe safety protocols, whether bikers or deeply religious -- and how long we are going to be living -- and getting infected with and being sick and even dying from this -- will they ever come back?

Hollywood, particularly in the decades lives only by the blockbuster box office, and thus it dies by it as well, it kinda looks like?

Archived