Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What? The last movie I saw in a theater that wasn't one which you could get dinner at was $15 for a ticket. I'd much rather pay $20 to watch a movie at home. It's cheaper if you consider everything involved and I can pause the movie if I need to take a shit. If I was married with kids I'd save so much money just getting everything on demand.

ETA: Last movie I saw on a weekend at night. The last movie I saw in theaters was Knives Out during the day, and that was about $30 for my ticket, two beers and popcorn. 

I live in a small city. I went to see Tenet on Labor Day, and I paid $16 with concessions, but I seldom buy concessions.

A lot of these decisions are also being driven by Netflix's realisation that they may have hit, or are at least approaching, the ceiling on English-language subscriptions. Their explosive rate of growth has slowed a lot and increased competition has seen people ditching Netflix in favour of Disney+ or Amazon. So they're looking at alternative revenue streams to reach people who don't want to subscribe to Netflix but still want to see their products on a one-off basis.

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why would anyone pay £20 or more for a movie to watch at home that they don’t even then own?! 

Apple and iTunes have conditioned consumers to purchase entertainment, music, in their case, that the consumers don't actually own or retain.  Film studios and distributors want some of that action.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Apple and iTunes have conditioned consumers to purchase entertainment, music, in their case, that the consumers don't actually own or retain.  Film studios and distributors want some of that action.

Not to the extent that I pay that amount of money to rent something for a couple of days

edit, never mind, I was getting mixed up with my costs. I have seen some pretty expensive movies to rent on Amazon however 

Before covid to see any film in a theater anywhere in Manhattan the adult ticket price was nearly $20.  There were no such things as matinee discount prices.  There were senior discounts for the more indie-art house theaters, but not all of them .  The IFC theater on 6th ave. charged way more than $20, per ticket.  I can't recall now, just what the price was.  But it was very high.  I bought 20 tickets for friends as part of Partner's birthday party two summers ago.

It does not matter to screengoing audiences. Frank Herbert knew that crusade is a retroactive description of an armed pilgrimage that was purposed to reclaim territories recently lost by the Romans. It was from the moment of its landing in Anatolia an aberrant practice for Christians that was made cannon rather anachronistically. A Jihad is, and pretty much always was, a divine trial through which the individual and the world should better reflect the vision of God.

Nobody outside of freaks like me can comprehend the distinction without reading clickbait. Call it a crusade and be done with it.

Archived