Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

1 hour ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

Is it really certain that its going to come out in 2021? :( I thought it was supposed to come out in 2020 

I can imagine the pre-production on this neing heavy. Is it still planned as a duology? In which case they may film both and then release a year apart?

47 minutes ago, red snow said:

I can imagine the pre-production on this neing heavy. Is it still planned as a duology? In which case they may film both and then release a year apart?

I thought it was supposed to start shooting in March of this year, so a 2020 release date didn't sound to crazy for me. AFAIK they were going to shoot just Part 1 now and see how well it performs in order to start shooting the second one. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

I thought it was supposed to start shooting in March of this year, so a 2020 release date didn't sound to crazy for me. AFAIK they were going to shoot just Part 1 now and see how well it performs in order to start shooting the second one. 

If that's the case then it does sound like a long wait. Bit nervous of them doing a part 1 without a guaranteed part 2 as well. Could potentially be left with an incomplete story.

Making a modern effects-heavy movie is a 3-year process, minimum: 1 year for pre-production, 1 year for production, 1 year for post. The film is shooting in 2019 and post will take them quite far into 2020. They could get it out at the end of 2020, theoretically, but I think 2021 is more likely.

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Certainly not a bad choice. Considering Ferguson is Jessica, I can see Chalamet being their child. :P

My preference would have been Viggo Mortensen. 

Viggo could be a good Stilgar. 

Zendaya from Spiderman as Chani, seems fine!

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I know that Herbert wasn't huge on physical description but it would be good if they pick Arabic actors to portray people who are pretty clearly Arabic.

Yes, after millenniums of space travel and upheaval, I'm sure everyone will still be tidily divided in the same ethnic groups as on present day Earth. Never mind that unlike say a fairly isolated racial group like the Japanese, there's a pretty wide range of physical characteristics across middle eastern populations. (Also ignoring that Arabic of course means someone speaks Arabic, so it's an ethnic not a racial classification. 

Please, that's as silly as the dumbass Foundation novels where entire planet populations all have the same characteristics... 

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

Yes, after millenniums of space travel and upheaval, I'm sure everyone will still be tidily divided in the same ethnic groups as on present day Earth. Never mind that unlike say a fairly isolated racial group like the Japanese, there's a pretty wide range of physical characteristics across middle eastern populations. (Also ignoring that Arabic of course means someone speaks Arabic, so it's an ethnic not a racial classification. 

Please, that's as silly as the dumbass Foundation novels where entire planet populations all have the same characteristics... 

This would be an excellent point - it might even work for the rest of the characters- if it wasn't just clear but an active and major plot point that the Fremen and the people of Dune are a desert culture that has been isolated for thousands of years and as such are pretty clearly based on the Bedouin.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

This would be an excellent point - it might even work for the rest of the characters- if it wasn't just clear but an active and major plot point that the Fremen and the people of Dune are a desert culture that has been isolated for thousands of years and as such are pretty clearly based on the Bedouin.

That doesn’t mean they are going to physically look like Bedouin.

44 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That doesn’t mean they are going to physically look like Bedouin.

Bracing myself for arguments that the bedouin have evolved to fill this environmental niche and therefore only people who fit this appearance can be used.

That said Morocco and Tunisia (north Africa in general) is a popular place for filming desert locations so they could be ok for extras with Bedouin or Berber population.

16 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I know that Herbert wasn't huge on physical description but it would be good if they pick Arabic actors to portray people who are pretty clearly Arabic.

I would agree with your objection to Viggo playing a Fremen for a couple reasons, and would agree that there should be plenty of room in a Dune movie for people of Middle Eastern and North African (MENA) descent, but I think your response is too simplistic both in regard to real world Arabs and fictional Fremen.

Arabic is language(s) and a culture(s), and a majority of the estimated more than 450 million Arabic speakers live in lands with long histories of distinct cultures, languages, and religions prior to the spread and imposition of Greek and Roman cultures, languages, and religions between the 4th century BCE and 7th century CE, and the spread and imposition of Arabic culture, language, and religion since the mid-1st millennium CE (Egypt, Sudan, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya). In that sense, "Arabic" is very similar to "Hellenistic," and whatever you would call its Roman successor.

As for the Fremen, while there are clearly Arab and/or Muslim components to them, Frank Herbert mentioned Arabian, Navajo, Kalahari, and other influences in his formation of the Fremen, not to mention all the changes both apparent and unknown in the tens of thousands of years between our world and when the Dune chronicles are set. The Fremen are no more meant to be an exact cross reference to any one real life people than the Dornish are.

But again, I would absolutely agree that Dune should have plenty of POC in general and people of MENA descent in particular.

1 hour ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I would agree with your objection to Viggo playing a Fremen for a couple reasons, and would agree that there should be plenty of room in a Dune movie for people of Middle Eastern and North African (MENA) descent, but I think your response is too simplistic both in regard to real world Arabs and fictional Fremen.

Arabic is language(s) and a culture(s), and a majority of the estimated more than 450 million Arabic speakers live in lands with long histories of distinct cultures, languages, and religions prior to the spread and imposition of Greek and Roman cultures, languages, and religions between the 4th century BCE and 7th century CE, and the spread and imposition of Arabic culture, language, and religion since the mid-1st millennium CE (Egypt, Sudan, Iraq, Syria, Lebanon Jordan, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya). In that sense, "Arabic" is very similar to "Hellenistic," and whatever you would call its Roman successor.

As for the Fremen, while there are clearly Arab and/or Muslim components to them, Frank Herbert mentioned Arabian, Navajo, Kalahari, and other influences in his formation of the Fremen, not to mention all the changes both apparent and unknown in the tens of thousands of years between our world and when the Dune chronicles are set. The Fremen are no more meant to be an exact cross reference to any one real life people than the Dornish are.

But again, I would absolutely agree that Dune should have plenty of POC in general and people of MENA descent in particular.

All very good points, well made. I'm glad you agree with what I was most broadly getting at is that it'd be a bit strange to cast Dune with only white folk but yes, all of that.

I think the movie should be cast broadly without too much concern about ethnicity at all. I see how my previous post didn't really make that point but my objection is more that I'd say the Fremen should be a fairly pan-ethnic vs. mono-ethnic. Zendaya is a good start.

If this was the story of the Siege of Vienna or something and you wanted to cast some white actor to play Sulieman then yes, that's a problem. But that's not where we are. 

We have Stilgar!

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/javier-bardem-dune-reboot-1203126074/

I'm praying that this film doesn't flop, I'm getting super hyped with each new announcement. I want them to at least make the first book and in a wishful scenario I'll be glad if they make it as far as Dune Messiah (can't see them doing the following books into films even though I enjoyed them).

22 minutes ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

We have Stilgar!

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/javier-bardem-dune-reboot-1203126074/

I'm praying that this film doesn't flop, I'm getting super hyped with each new announcement. I want them to at least make the first book and in a wishful scenario I'll be glad if they make it as far as Dune Messiah (can't see them doing the following books into films even though I enjoyed them).

Holy smokes! They are knocking this casting out of the park. 

Is no one else concerned that Villeneuve is lead writer? First draft done by the well-regarded Eric Roth, sure, but you look over his resume and there's not a lot there that is anything remotely like Dune. And Villeneuve's own instincts as a storyteller are leaning so much toward languid imagery ever since he broke big, and I think back to the beautiful-but-incoherent Lynch film, and I wonder if this is going to be anything but a visual feast/storytelling snooze ala Bladerunner 2049. 

The cast is looking great, at least.

Archived