Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

To continue what we started last year, rank the seasons of shows you watch that are airing this year. 

Just a month in, there is not much to rank. I am watching plenty of shows, but most are just a few episodes in. Sherlock is the only one done. I'm not sure that I wish to rank Vikings. The season that just finished is mainly a 2016 show, with only 5 episodes in.

Tentative ranking so far:

1. Grimm

2. Star Wars Rebels

3. Sherlock

Agents of SHIELD and the superhero shows on CW continue to be a guilty pleasure, but I stopped watching Legends of Tomorrow. Two of my favorite current shows, Black Sails and The Expanse have had strong starts. The only new show I'm watching is Taboo, but I'm not sure how I feel about it quite yet - I am giving it a chance.

All right, so my 2016 list isn't over yet, but we have this year to think of...

So far..

1. Sherlock Season 4
  2. Homeland Season 6
  3. Voltron Season 2
  4. The Big Bang Theory Season 10

There will be more, much more to come :D 

• 4 weeks later...

OK, enough time has passed to have a longer list of the current seasons of the shows I'm watching.

1) Black Sails

2) The Expanse

These two are deadlocked right now for the top spot. The shows currently following below are nowhere near these two.

3) Agents of SHIELD

4) Grimm

5) Star Wars Rebels

These three are jostling for the rest of the top 5 at this time. I was pleasantly surprised so far by Agents of SHIELD. The LMD arc was good.

6) Sherlock

7) The Blacklist

8) Elementary

Sherlock was good, but not great. Blacklist and Elementary are shows for which I occasionally entertain the idea to stop watching them, but they manage to draw me back with good episodes.

9) The Walking Dead

10) Homeland

Right now I'm pretty much considering giving up watching these shows. 

11) Arrow

12) Supergirl

13) The Flash

14) The Big Bang Theory

These are guilty pleasures. I continue to watch the CW because of their comic book ties. The Big Bang Theory manages to get some chuckles out of me, but it's become dull.

15) Taboo - I have yet to watch the finale, but I won't be returning to it.

Legion is another show I'm currently watching, but I'm reserving judgement until more episodes accumulate.

I've watched the Netflix/Showcase show Travelers last month, but because it's a 2016 show, I don't think I should add it to the list. But I loved it. And I decided not to rank the 5 episodes of Vikings we got this year, as I am done with that show as well.

Here is my list of shows I'm currently watching or have finished in early 2017.   The Americans, Iron Fist, and Into the Badlands are all starting in March and will be added to the list.

1. The Expanse S2

2. Black Sails S4

3. Sneaky Pete

4. The Good Place S1

5. Agents of Shield S4

6. Legion S1

7. The 100 S4

8. Star Wars Rebels Season 4

9. Taboo S1

10. Incorporated S1

11. Powerless S1

12. Humans 2

13. The Magicians S2

14. The Walking Dead S7

15. Vikings Season 5

16. Timeless S1

17. Victoria season 1

Being so early in the year, everything is bound to change and most shows on my list are still in the middle of their season.

The Young Pope (I was worried it would be another derivative anti-Catholic series, but it turned out being extremely clever, humorous and more importanty, original)

The Missing s2 (2017 airing in the US )

Black Sails s4(this will probably remain a top 5 for me)

Legion (loving it so far, thanks Noah Hawley!)

The Expanse s2 (kick ass sci fi)

Big Little Lies (lovely train wreck, guilty pleasure)

Trapped (US 2017)

The Magicians (forgot to add this one, not surprising since it's a fairly forgettable series)

Taboo (this one was a big disappointment, unless you can't get enough of Tom Hardy stare downs and Four Non Blondes hats)

Most anticipated premiers: The Leftovers s3, Fargo s3, The Iron Fist

Best so far:

1. Vikings

2. Homeland 

3. Black Sails 

4. Sneaky Pete

5.  SIX  (should have ranked it 6th)

Most Disappointing

1. TABOO (love the look, love Tom Hardy, story is molasses and uninteresting 

2. Legion (love the look, love the cast, story is initially confusing then uninteresting 

3.  Walking Dead (stupidest show on TV now)

4. 24: Legacy (seen it before with Kiefer) 

5.  Sun Records ( cheap looking, bad cast)

Seen very little that is newly released this year (which is all i rank, i have watched stuff that was released a while ago). From what I have watched:

1) A Series of Unfortunate Events

2) Taboo

3) Santa Clarita Diet

Rather poor pickings at the minute. Taboo I enjoyed more than others, and would have liked it even more had it not been a weekly watch but a binge. Looked spectacular though, and acting was all high quality...except Oona Chaplin.

A Series of Unfortunate Events was really fun and perfectly captured the spirit of the books. Not brilliant, but enjoyable in the way it was intended. Great casting too.

Santa Clarita diet was awful. I did find it funny at times but the acting was horrible, characters were uninspired and plot was dull.

My list wont pick up for a while. Waiting for Season 2 of the Expanse to hit the UK. Last Kingdom Season 2 will be this month, American Gods next month, and then we get into the summer which is full of shows i'm waiting for (Sense8, Orphan Black, OitNB, and various others)

There's probably a show or 2 I'm forgetting but I think this is everything from his year. Very few of these shows have finished their seasons so everything is subject to change.

1. The Young Pope

2. The Expanse

3. Baskets

4. Girls

5. It's Always Sunny

6. The Magicians

7. The Mick

8. Sherlock

9. Taboo

All are current seasons. Waiting for a lot of shows to start or resume.

1. Big Bang Theory - I think I liked it more when I thought this was the last season, now hear they are doing 2 more...

2. Legion - favorite new to 2017 show so far

3. 24 Legacy

4. Walking Dead

5. Vikings

6. Timeless

7. Big little lies

8. Taboo - biggest disappointment so far

Gave up on:

Scorpion, Quantico, MacGyver, Lethal Weapon most of these I had no expectations for anyway

1. Expanse Season 2
  2. Sherlock Season 4
  3. Homeland Season 6
  4. The Good Fight Season 1
  5. Voltron Season 2
  6. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  7. Greys anatomy Season 13

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My list wont pick up for a while. Waiting for Season 2 of the Expanse to hit the UK. Last Kingdom Season 2 will be this month, American Gods next month, and then we get into the summer which is full of shows i'm waiting for (Sense8, Orphan Black, OitNB, and various others)

I am so glad most of the shows are coming in summer when I hope, my academic obligations will be over :D 

1 hour ago, Risto said:
  1. Expanse Season 2
  2. Sherlock Season 4
  3. Homeland Season 6
  5. Voltron Season 2
  6. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  7. Greys anatomy Season 13

I am so glad most of the shows are coming in summer when I hope, my academic obligations will be over :D 

Same. It's one ray of sunshine if I don't get my shit together and have a job lined up...at least the TV will be good :lol: *internal screaming* :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

New entries on my list:

1. Black Sails
  2. The Expanse
  3. Legion
  4. Agents of SHIELD
  5. Grimm
  6. Star Wars Rebels
  7. Sherlock
  8. Elementary
  9. Iron Fist
  10. The Blacklist
  11. Homeland
  12. The Walking Dead
  13. Arrow
  14. Supergirl
  15. The Flash
  16. The Big Bang Theory
  17. Taboo

Can't say i've seen many but so far

Fortitude - good follow up season so far

Homeland - mixed bag, some really great television and some telegraphed nonsense. Much better than what the show was in S3 and 4

Sherlock - hugely disappointing, yet still better than most of the shite polluting the airwaves

Vikings - went and watched S4 in its entirety last month, wish I hadn't wasted my time

Will wait for Black Sails to finish up before I binge it

I don't think I ever finished updating my 2016 list, but 2017 is off to a cracking start, so I'll dive into it then. Hopefully I'll be better at keeping up with this year's shows.

1. The Good Place S1(Original, funny, smart, and the best season finale I've seen in a loooong while.)
  2. Black Mirror S3 (I started this in 2016 but didn't finish it until this year. If it hadn't been for that Good Place finale I would've put this in my #1 spot. The "San Junipero" episode alone gives this series a guaranteed Top 3 spot for the rest of the year.
  3. The Young Pope (This show was just...wow. Weird, beautiful, confusing, piercing. Jude Law's best work ever.)
  4. The Crown S1 (Nicely filled the British royalty drama hole left in my life by Downton Abbey.)
  5. Love S2 
  6. Sherlock S4 (Despite that hokey last scene, it was a good finale.)
  7. Sneaky Pete S1 (Cranston returns to TV as a decent villain. Solid show.)
  8. Emerald City S1 (Guilty pleasure. I have a huge crush on the Witch of the West. I like the world building going on her even though the writing is terrible--especially for Dorothy.)
  9. Vikings S4.2
  10. Man in the High Castle S2
  11. Iron FIst S1 (Most disappointing series I've sat through in a while. It'd be hard for another show to unseat this from the bottom spot on my list.)

The only shows thus far that I think will be in my top ten at the end of the year are Black Sails, and the Expanse....

Iron Fist won't make it.... and even Lemony Snickets --which was fabulous-- probably will fall just short.... there are show I really like.... such as the Americans, Outsiders, sneaky Pete, Vikings, The Young Pope, the Magicians, Hap & Leonard, Into the Badlands, Billions, Underground, Legion, Homeland, Taboo, and there are probably several others,,,  none of which will be top ten...

I've only finished two shows so far this year(still watching Planet Earth II). I might go back to Legion and will probably binge Big Little Lies when it ends.

1. The Missing (season 2)- Very enjoyable and will most likely stay in my top 5.

2. Taboo- It was disappointing but I thought it finished strong. I'm probably gonna give season 2 a chance. 

I'm also looking forward to Fargo, Twin Peaks, Mindhunter, and Top of the Lake: China Girl.

Legion

Big Little Lies

A Series of Unfortunate Events

Taboo

The Last Kingdom

Santa Clarita Diet

Iron Fist

Still early days for Big Little Lies and The Last Kingdom. Really loving both so far though. Legion is by far the best new show I've watched this year. 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

The only shows thus far that I think will be in my top ten at the end of the year are Black Sails, and the Expanse....

Iron Fist won't make it.... and even Lemony Snickets --which was fabulous-- probably will fall just short.... there are show I really like.... such as the Americans, Outsiders, sneaky Pete, Vikings, The Young Pope, the Magicians, Hap & Leonard, Into the Badlands, Billions, Underground, Legion, Homeland, Taboo, and there are probably several others,,,  none of which will be top ten...

I don't want to live in the world where The Americans are out of any Top 10 list  

1. Expanse Season 2
  2. The Americans Season 5
  3. Sherlock Season 4
  5. Homeland Season 6
  6. Voltron Season 2
  7. The Big Bang Theory Season 10
  8. Iron Fist Season 1
  9. Greys anatomy Season 13

Archived