Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 3 

Orphan Black Season 5 

the Americans S5 

Big Little Lies 

The Expanse S2

Stranger Things Season 2 - good, didn’t enjoy as much as S1 though.

Sense8 S2

The Handmaid's Tale S1 

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend S2

American Gods S1

GLOW S1

Catastrophe S3

Legion S1

The Defenders - flawed but alright. 

Sneaky Pete S1

Master of None S2

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S3

The Last Kingdom S2

13 Reasons Why

Dear White People

I, Zombie S3

peaky Blinders S4 - entertaining but disappointed in a few ways. Glad it’s coming to an end next season, it’s time and means I won’t have to drop it

Fargo S3  

Orange is the New Black S5 

Hot Girls Wanted, Turned On

I Love Dick

House of Cards S5 

GOT S7 

[insert big gap here. Huge drop in quality between the top of my list and bottom]

A Series of Unfortunate Events S1

Taboo S1

Iron Fist S1

Stranger Things 2

Dark, S1

Sense8, S2

Travelers, S1 (Released in 2016, but so late -in the U.S.- it's really a cusp series and I was finishing it up in 2017 as I most likely will with Season 2 in 2018 --- Which is released on Netflix Today!!! Hooray!!!)

GOT, S7

Justice League Action, S1 (S2?)

GLOW, S1

Better Call Saul, S3

Humans, S2

The Good Doctor, S1

Fargo, S3

Mindhunter, S1

Sneaky Pete, S1

The Leftovers, S3

There's...Johnny, S1

South Park, S21

Atypical, S1

Orange is the New Black, S5

The Last Tycoon, S1

Future Man, S1  (Disappointing, wanted it to be better.)

Silicon Valley, S4  (Every show before this I thought was 'excellent', 'great', and 'good'. "Future Man" I thought was 'ok'. But all watchable to the last episode. S4 of "Silicon Valley" I couldn't even finish.

Shows I have not gotten to yet but still going to try:

The Handmaid's Tale

The Orville

Star Trek: Discovery (I've only seen the -half- pilot)

Westworld

Shows I've watched early seasons of but need to catch up on and plan to get back to:

The Americans (post season 3)

Orphan Black (post season 2)

Colony (post season 1)

Halt and Catch Fire (post season 3)

Master of None (post season 1)

Love (post season 2, episode 2)

Jean Claude Van Johnson (watched the pilot, going to be watching this with my dad who is a big JCVD fan)

Shows I'm struggling with but plan to muddle through (eventually):

The Expanse (I've watched 3 episodes I think. I don't know why this show is failing for me. Growing up and into my adulthood I loved all the Treks, B5, BSG -old and new- Buck Rogers, etc. From the reviews and word of mouth here I've seen for this show I should be into it, I'm just not.)

Mr. Robot (Saw the first two episodes. I couldn't get into it. Maybe it was watching it with commercials, how I've been spoiled now by modern viewing habits, but I could/can watch shows like Fargo and Better Call Saul among others with commercials as they aired, maybe it's just the degree of complicated the show is which added to my difficulty getting into it with all the breaks. Maybe watching it on Amazon Prime will make it better.)

And I'm done with House of Cards, Walking Dead and any and all spin-offs, most network sitcoms beyond casual if-it's-on-and-in-front-of-me viewing, and any live-action Marvel or DC show on network, cable or streaming, unless I hear a particular show is exceptionally outstanding.

On 12/25/2017 at 11:39 PM, drawkcabi said:

Stranger Things 2

Dark, S1

Sense8, S2

Travelers, S1 (Released in 2016, but so late -in the U.S.- it's really a cusp series and I was finishing it up in 2017 as I most likely will with Season 2 in 2018 --- Which is released on Netflix Today!!! Hooray!!!)

I, too, watched Travelers S1 early this year, but I did not put in on the list because of the 2016 release. That's why I've already started watching S2 (4 episodes in) so I can place it on my 2017 list. :D

Added Travelers, and also watching Dark, but only 3 episodes in, not rushing it.

1. Stranger Things 2
  2. Black Sails
  3. The Expanse
  4. Godless
  5. Agents of SHIELD
  6. Legion
  7. Sense8
  8. The Last Kingdom
  9. The Punisher
  10. Travelers - this is season 2, even though I watched season 1 this year, too; both seasons were about the same; might be one of my favorite new SF shows (besides the ones above it, of course)
  11. Outlander
  12. Grimm
  13. Star Wars Rebels
  14. The Defenders
  15. House of Cards
  16. Homeland
  17. iZombie
  18. Killjoys
  19. Game of Thrones
  20. The Gifted
  21. Iron Fist
  22. Sherlock
  23. Elementary
  24. Dark Matter
  25. The Walking Dead
  26. The Blacklist
  27. Designated Survivor
  28. Arrow
  29. Brooklyn-99
  30. The Strain
  31. Supergirl
  32. Legends of Tomorrow
  33. The Flash
  34. The Big Bang Theory
  35. Taboo

Stranger Things  s2

Legion

The Americans s5

The LastKingdom s2

American Gods

The Punisher

Dirk Gently s1 (I think this was late 2016 but only started watching it this year)

Game of Thrones s7

Doctor Who

Agents of SHIELD s4

The Gifted

Star Trek : Discovery

The Defenders

Supergirl

Sherlock

Iron Fist

Inhumans

So, we will have to wrap this one soon... Per rule, we always keep the thread alive to finish all the shows we had to watch... I will keep the list here so not to move them to 2018.

1. Legion
  2. American Gods
  3. The Punisher

Probably something more... As for two other shows, Black Mirror and Orphan Black, they will go to 2018 list.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

So, we will have to wrap this one soon... Per rule, we always keep the thread alive to finish all the shows we had to watch... I will keep the list here so not to move them to 2018.

1. Legion
  2. American Gods
  3. The Punisher

Probably something more... As for two other shows, Black Mirror and Orphan Black, they will go to 2018 list.

I'm confused - what is this list supposed to be?

Currently watching Dark, which will likely feature high on the list, hoping to finish it tonight. :) ETA: Ta daaaa!

Endeavour (all the seasons)

Westworld (watched it on Jan 1st 2017)

Dark

The Expanse*

Stranger Things S2

Mindhunter S1

Manhunt: Unabomber

The Man in the High Castle S2

Fortitude S2

Grimm (the final season ?4 ?5)

A Series of Unfortunate Events

13 Reasons Why

Dirk Gently

Riverdale

American Gods

Game of Thrones S7

The Walking Dead S7/8 (I get confused, whatever, both seasons were equally meh)

The Strain S3

Worse than any other series on principle of being a big waste of my time:

Taboo

Started but couldn't manage more than three eps

Travelers S1 

Salem (lol)

Van Helsing (lol)

*great example of an adaptation which greatly improves on the original work

Penultimate update!

There's a new number 2 that may as well have been number 1... the two top shows on my list were both brilliant and are really close. I might even change my mind later. 

1. BoJack Horseman 
  2. The Leftovers
  3. Black Sails
  4. The Handmaid’s Tale
  5. Big Little Lies
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. The Good Place
  8. American Gods
  9. The Americans
  10. The Punisher
  11. The Expanse
  12. Outlander
  13. The Last Kingdom
  14. Legion
  15. Broadchurch
  16. The Gifted
  17. South Park
  18. Runaways
  19. Absentia 
  20. Star Trek: Discovery 
  21. Gunpowder
  22. The Defenders
  23. Taboo
  24. Iron Fist
  25. The Walking Dead
  26. Inhumans

I can't rate Twin Peaks: The Return before I finish it, so I'll add that later. No, I won't be finishing it tonight as I'll be a bit busy celebrating New Year, but hopefully I finish it in a day or two after and add it then. And maybe do a bit of reshuffling for my final list.
Shows like The Gifted and Runaways, which will air a new episode right after the NY, will stay where they are, as I've already rated all their 2017 episodes.

The first 15 or 16 shows on the list were all really good. I almost put The Leftovers at 1, but then I remember the brilliance that was season 4 of BoJack and I can't bring myself to demote it. 
17-21 are a mixed bag or meh, 22-23 disappointing in spite of some good stuff, 24 bad but with 1 good storyline, 25-26 just downright awful.

I haven't had as much TV time as I would have liked in the past couple months, and have had trouble accessing a few shows I want to see, like The Expanse season 2. Anyway, here's my end of year list, divided between great, good, and bad/unenjoyable.

1. The Handmaid's Tale

2. Stranger Things 2

3. Better Call Saul

4. Game of Thrones

5. Orphan Black 

6. The Good Place (season 1)

7. Curb Your Enthusiasm

8. Master of None

9. American Gods

10. Star Trek: Discovery

11. The Young Pope

12. Ozark (I couldn't get through it, but I acknowledge that the show has talent and isn't bad; it just wasn't for me)

13. The Defenders

14. The Orville (I gave up after four episodes or so)

15. House of Cards

Season 2 of THE EXPANSE was better than season 1. The Expanse is space opera unlike Star Trek and Star Wars. It is more future-on-a-chipped-plate. Has a 'lived-in' look, the working class Belters is a kind of setting quite unusual to TV. There is good verisimilitude and an excellent cast. 

Being a reader of prose science fiction this show is borrowing from science fiction , on the page, as it evolved as a genre literature in the 1940 and 1950s . I have not seen TV science fiction like this before.

My final list. Managed to squeeze in Dark before the end of the year (not 2018 where I live yet). An excellent show, I placed it at #4. As for the rest, all those in red are shows that won't be on my list for one reason or another. Those in blue are shows that may not be on my list in 2018, while the rest I hope will be.

1. Stranger Things 2
  2. Black Sails – ended
  3. The Expanse
  4. Dark
  5. Godless – I think this was a onetime thing
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. Legion
  8. Sense8 – cancelled, but will have a movie length conclusion; won’t rank it
  9. The Last Kingdom
  10. The Punisher – I don’t know that this will return next year
  11. Travelers 
  12. Outlander
  13. Grimm – ended
  14. Star Wars Rebels
  15. The Defenders
  16. House of Cards – I was thinking of quitting even before the Spacey fiasco; I have no interest in continuing
  17. Homeland – quitting this one
  18. iZombie
  19. Killjoys
  20. Game of Thrones – won’t return until 2019
  21. The Gifted
  22. Iron Fist
  23. Sherlock – won’t return next year, or possibly ever
  24. Elementary – may quit
  25. Dark Matter – cancelled
  26. The Walking Dead – season 8 will probably be it for me, but that means it will still make my 2018 list
  27. The Blacklist – I had already quit this; didn’t watch the new episodes this fall
  28. Designated Survivor
  29. Brooklyn-99
  30. The Strain – ended
  31. Arrow
  32. The Flash
  33. Legends of Tomorrow
  34. Supergirl
  35. The Big Bang Theory – quit
  36. Taboo – quit

Returning shows to look forward to: Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Westworld

Did The Strain end? I don't really mind either way but I thought it was coming back.

Pleased to say that I finished Dark last night and thought it was so good that I wanted to start all over again from the beginning. 

Archived