Rank your 2017 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

While I much prefer if people did rank their shows, no such rule will be enforced.

Carry on. 

Amen...

As I said before, tbe important thing is quantification of our time in front of TV. Or computer screen. Or the smartphone... :D

45 minutes ago, Risto said:

Amen...

As I said before, tbe important thing is quantification of our time in front of TV. Or computer screen. Or the smartphone... :D

Then it should be a different thread, since this doesn't really quantify it that well. We aren't counting all the time we spent watching shows that did not air in 2017. I watched several shows from earlier years that I hadn't gotten to before.

Maybe there should be a thread "List all the TV shows you've watched this year".

These are all 2017 seasons

1. Game of thrones - love it every season. There were some missteps as with every show/movie. I have seen every episode of S7 at least twice. Love this damn show. Overall I've seen Hardhomme, Watchers on the Wall and Battle of the Bastards at least 5 times each.

2. Westworld - loved it

3. Big little lies - Thought this was damn good and not the type of show i normally watch

4. Stranger things - good 2nd season

5. Better call Saul - Hope next season is all Saul and no Jimmy

6. Legion - Thought this was one of the best new shows by far

7. Leftovers - I was glad it ended, and did it well

8. Big bang theory - Always a favorite

9. Silicon Valley - maybe one more season?

10. The Walking dead - It dragged out for a few episodes but all in all a good season for me

11. Survivor - Always a favorite for me

1-11 are must see for me.

12. The Gifted - holds promise

13. The Duece - Had some interesting stuff but not great

14. Vikings - I want to like it more than I actually do?

15. The Punisher - Actually was pretty good

16. Sense8 - not nearly as interesting as S1

17. Young Sheldon - growing on me

18. Sneaky Pete - was pretty good, will watch S2

12-18 not looked forward to each week or binged but still good.

19. Friends from college - likely will not watch another season

20. GLOW - will not watch another season

21. Ballers - needs to get better

22. Kevin can wait - just watching because it's set to record and it's sometimes funny

23. Designated Survivor - hard to watch this season

24. House of Cards - painful to watch and happy as hell it's almost over. Never was as good as S1

25. Taboo - man i was hyped for this show and it was tedius!

26. Inhumans - just stupid. watched like two and a half episodes.

9 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Then it should be a different thread, since this doesn't really quantify it that well. We aren't counting all the time we spent watching shows that did not air in 2017. I watched several shows from earlier years that I hadn't gotten to before.

Maybe there should be a thread "List all the TV shows you've watched this year".

Are we really going to be literal about this? We are here to discuss, recommend and exchange opinions regarding TV we watch. Yes, ideally, people should rank the shows, but the more importantly, this is a place to discuss TV. That is really how I get this thread?

Regardless of that, what this thread most certainly is not about discussion what this thread is about ;)

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

These are all 2017 seasons

1. Game of thrones - love it every season. There were some missteps as with every show/movie. I have seen every episode of S7 at least twice. Love this damn show. Overall I've seen Hardhomme, Watchers on the Wall and Battle of the Bastards at least 5 times each.

2. Westworld - loved it

3. Big little lies - Thought this was damn good and not the type of show i normally watch

4. Stranger things - good 2nd season

5. Better call Saul - Hope next season is all Saul and no Jimmy

6. Legion - Thought this was one of the best new shows by far

7. Leftovers - I was glad it ended, and did it well

8. Big bang theory - Always a favorite

9. Silicon Valley - maybe one more season?

10. The Walking dead - It dragged out for a few episodes but all in all a good season for me

11. Survivor - Always a favorite for me

1-11 are must see for me.

12. The Gifted - holds promise

13. The Duece - Had some interesting stuff but not great

14. Vikings - I want to like it more than I actually do?

15. The Punisher - Actually was pretty good

16. Sense8 - not nearly as interesting as S1

17. Young Sheldon - growing on me

18. Sneaky Pete - was pretty good, will watch S2

12-18 not looked forward to each week or binged but still good.

19. Friends from college - likely will not watch another season

20. GLOW - will not watch another season

21. Ballers - needs to get better

22. Kevin can wait - just watching because it's set to record and it's sometimes funny

23. Designated Survivor - hard to watch this season

24. House of Cards - painful to watch and happy as hell it's almost over. Never was as good as S1

25. Taboo - man i was hyped for this show and it was tedius!

26. Inhumans - just stupid. watched like two and a half episodes.

Westworld was 2016

Are we being all pedantic about this now in general, or just in response to individual posts where people claim a show was from year X and needs to be corrected for The Greater Good?

no. I was pointing out what I assumed was a genuine mistake because @dbunting said “2017 Seasons” so I assumed he thought Westworld was last year. Wasn’t trying to be pedantic, there was no thought to any greater good :rolleyes: Just trying to be helpful but nevermind I won’t bother in future

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:04 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

no. I was pointing out what I assumed was a genuine mistake because @dbunting said “2017 Seasons” so I assumed he thought Westworld was last year. Wasn’t trying to be pedantic, there was no thought to any greater good :rolleyes: Just trying to be helpful but nevermind I won’t bother in future

Nope, I was catching up on this thread, haven't been here in like 6 months and I saw other people post Westworld and I just assumed it was 2017! No biggie to me

1. The Americans Season 5
  2. The Crown Season 2
  3. The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 
  4. Expanse Season 2
  5. Sense8 Season 2
  6. Godless 
  7. Stranger Things Season 2
  8. Big Little Lies
  9. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 1
  10. Master of None Season 2 
  11. Outlander Season 3
  12. Game of Thrones Season 7
  13. House of Cards Season 5
  14. The Defenders Season 1
  15. Sherlock Season 4
  16. The Good Fight Season 1
  17. The White Princess
  18. Will and Grace Season 9
  19. Homeland Season 6
  20. Voltron Season 2
  21. Young Sheldon Season 1
  22. Greys Anatomy Season 13/14
  23. The Big Bang Theory Season 10/11
  24. Iron Fist Season 1
  25. The Shannara Chronicles Season 2
  26. Orange is the New Black Season 5

Certainly the best comedy I have watched this year. It is funny and I had such a great laugh during all the 8 episodes of Season 1. 

• 2 months later...
  1. The Americans Season 5
  2. The Crown Season 2
  3. The Handmaid's Tale Season 1 
  4. Expanse Season 2
  5. Sense8 Season 2
  6. Godless 
  7. Stranger Things Season 2
  8. Big Little Lies
  9. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 1
  10. Master of None Season 2 
  11. Outlander Season 3
  12. Game of Thrones Season 7
  13. 13 Reasons Why Season 1
  14. House of Cards Season 5
  15. The Defenders Season 1
  16. Sherlock Season 4
  17. The Good Fight Season 1
  18. The White Princess
  19. Will and Grace Season 9
  20. Homeland Season 6
  21. Voltron Season 2
  22. Young Sheldon Season 1
  23. Greys Anatomy Season 13/14
  24. The Big Bang Theory Season 10/11
  25. Iron Fist Season 1
  26. The Shannara Chronicles Season 2
  27. Orange is the New Black Season 5

13RW is something I really wanted to see for a long time. And when I finally watched it this week, it was probably the first unbingeable Netflix drama. It took me a whole week to finish it. The topic is truly serious, the cast did its work perfectly, but there wasn't emotional investment by my part (as I would have expected). It's still a good drama, just not my cup of tea.

I didn't know we were still doing this - that we could revise our lists of 2017 shows even though we're finishing them/watching them in 2018. Is there any cut-off date - I intend to watch some other shows released in 2017 that I didn't get to see then (like Dark or Godless, probably 13 Reasons Why as well), how long can we keep revising the list?

My new list - adding Twin Peaks, which I finally finished a few days ago (I had to rewatch before I finished to remember and pick up all the hundreds of characters and plot threads), plus I've reshuffled the list a bit.

1. BoJack Horseman 
  2. The Leftovers
  3. Black Sails
  4. The Handmaid’s Tale
  5. Big Little Lies
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. The Good Place
  8. American Gods
  9. The Americans
  10. The Punisher
  11. The Expanse
  12. The Last Kingdom
  13. Legion
  14. Twin Peaks: The Return - I'm not sure how I feel about it, so it ends up in the middle of the list. It certainly took chances, kudos for that, instead of playing it safe like some other 1990s show revivals. Some things have paid off, some arc closed, but others were pretty unsatisfactory, and although it resolved some arcs, it introduced major new ones and big new questions. The open ending is especially a problem if they really don't intend another season.
  15. Broadchurch
  16. The Gifted
  17. Outlander
  18. South Park
  19. Runaways
  20. Absentia 
  21. Star Trek: Discovery 
  22. Gunpowder
  23. The Defenders
  24. Taboo
  25. Iron Fist
  26. The Walking Dead
  27. Inhumans

54 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I didn't know we were still doing this - that we could revise our lists of 2017 shows even though we're finishing them/watching them in 2018. Is there any cut-off date - I intend to watch some other shows released in 2017 that I didn't get to see then (like Dark or Godless, probably 13 Reasons Why as well), how long can we keep revising the list?

Well, given that we all agreed we will not include past year's shows onto new lists, I thought updating it here. I am not sure whether I have any more shows for this list, but if I watch them, I will update. 

I recommend Godless. I fell in love with Michelle Dockery all over again :D 

As for 13RW, I have some serious issues with it. It is one of those shows that could have been one of the GREATS, but simply isn't. It is not bad, far from it and Kate Walsh is amazing in it, but it's just not what I expected.

• 7 months later...

So, since we're adding show seasons we've seen so far, my latest addition:

1. BoJack Horseman 
  2. The Leftovers
  3. Black Sails
  4. The Handmaid’s Tale
  5. Big Little Lies
  6. Agents of SHIELD
  7. The Good Place
  8. American Gods
  9. The Americans
  10. The Punisher
  11. The 100 (season 4)
  12. The Expanse
  13. The Last Kingdom
  14. Broadchurch 
  15. Legion
  16. Twin Peaks: The Return 
  17. The Gifted
  18. Outlander
  19. South Park
  20. Runaways
  21. Absentia 
  22. Star Trek: Discovery 
  23. Gunpowder
  24. The Defenders
  25. Taboo
  26. Iron Fist
  27. The Walking Dead
  28. Inhumans

I also moved up Broadchurch season 3 a few spots, because watching some YouTube reactions to it and getting reminded of it made me realize that I personally enjoyed it more than some of the shows that may have been technically better (like Legion or Twin Peaks: The Return).

So, a couple of months ago I pretty much accidentally started watching The 100 (because it happened to be on TV - Fox Serbia started airing it from the beginning), a show that I had heard a lot about, a lot of it very mixed - I knew it's a show with a very strong and passionate fandom (especially since I hang out on SpoilerTV, where it's one of the most popular shows), but also that it (and its showrunner) has been widely criticized for some storytelling choices (which are mostly due to season 3) on racial and LGBT issues (which was also why I had been spoiled on several plot developments since forever, way before I even started watching it). I was cautious, but curious. And then a weird thing happened - after just a few episodes, I got more emotionally involved in it than I've been in a new show (well, new for me - it's about to start its 6th season next year) in a long time. I started binging and finished season 4 yesterday (I saw the season 5 premiere today, so I'll add season 5 to the Rank Your Shows Throughout the Year - 2018 thread when I finish it).

The 100 is a weird, weird show in so many ways. It's kind of the opposite of The Expanse for me. The Expanse's biggest strength is great worldbuilding, but I've never had a strong emotional attachment to the characters, especially not the main duo of Holden and Naomi (which may be because of not being impressed by the actors). On the other hand, wordlbuilding on The 100 is utter crap and rarely makes any sense, but I'm insanely attached to its characters, and two of the leads have quickly become some of my all-time favorite characters. 

Going in, I expected a CW teen show version of a SciFi apocalyptic drama. My biggest surprises have been: it seems to start CW-ish, but after a first few episodes, it completely loses its CWness (the only similarity with other CW shows is that the cast is incredibly attractive) and gets incredibly dark. I've never seen a show push its protagonists into such morally compromised and uncomfortable situations (they're really trying to make everyone as morally grey as possible), and boy, does this show love mass murder as a plot device (more than GoT loves rape). I was also really surprised how strong the acting is - and I don't mean by the older actors like Henry Ian Cusick from Lost, though they are fine, but most of all by the young-ish actors that I've never seen in anything before (some of whom were apparently previously mostly in Aussie soaps). 

So, on one hand, great acting, also good cinematography, great choice of music, but on the other hand... incredibly inconsistent writing that can go from really good to downright awful in a heartbeat. Some of the problems are: the writers seem to confuse moral ambiguity with moral relativism. Sometimes they're also too in love with shock value and surprise revelations that haven't been set up. The worldbuidling makes no sense, and there are some really uncomfortable racial dynamics occasionally (mostly season 3, which was pretty awful), which is not a surprise since it's a show with an incredibly diverse cast, but a very white American writing staff and showrunner that seems pretty clueless on a bunch of things and how they would be perceived in the fandom (which, again, was especially obvious in the mess that was season 3). Around season 3, the show became really enamoured of the same kind of Strong Female Character (TM) that GoT loves (murderous violent asshole with unlikely fighting skills), though to be fair. unlike GoT, the show has other actually strong female main characters (including the lead) that don't fit that mold. It's also often awful or at least incredibly weird in how it does romance - but not in the CW way: fortunately, it doesn't have the annoying kind of overplayed love triangles that plague the Arrowverse shows. But on the other hand, the showrunner seems to belong to the school of thought that good relationships are boring, so those are only allowed to happen to side characters. Otherwise, it's either an endless Mulder/Scully type "will they, won't they" dynamic  with characters getting always separated and kept apart in every way possible but with constant ship-baiting, so the audience will keep coming back (while anti-shippers can pretend it's totally a "platonic friendship" - even though it obviously isn't) - which somehow ended up being the one really compelling and well developed romance on the show, or the protagonists are, meanwhile, put in horrible, toxic, badly written unconvincing relationships that are romanticized and presented as good. There was one in season 3, which was over-hyped and promoted and oddly enough got celebrated in the public simply because it's a same sex relationship, so it's supposed to be progressive just one the basis of that (which I don't get - sure it's some kind of LGBT representation, but it's terrible LGBT representation), and there's another one just starting in season 5 that's almost an exact copy of that one, only a hetero version and involving another lead character. 

Season 3 had some moments that were great, but overall (especially the first half) it was one of the biggest piles of crap I've seen recently and could give TWD and the last 3 seasons of GoT a run for their money in that regard. Its main storylines got me so angry that I was having huge rants about it on SpoilerTV after seeing it. However, season 4 was mostly free of that and one of the better seasons of the show (not as good as season 2, but maybe just above season 1), so it's accordingly placed on the list. 

But many people are saying season 5 is as bad as season 3, so I'm bracing myself. We'll see.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:25 PM, Annara Snow said:

I've never seen a show push its protagonists into such morally compromised and uncomfortable situations (they're really trying to make everyone as morally grey as possible), and boy, does this show love mass murder as a plot device (more than GoT loves rape).

There's not that much rape in GoT so that doesn't say much about how often mass murder is used as a plot device in the 100.

49 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

There's not that much rape in GoT so that doesn't say much about how often mass murder is used as a plot device in the 100.

As compared to what?

But maybe this discussion is better not continued here, as experience has shown that starting to debate GoT is the fastest way to get these threads detailed for a long time.

I've watched all the seasons of the show and that did not particularly stand out as something that is constantly being used as a plot device like you are suggesting. 

Speaking of GoT, were I to make my list of best of 2017, season 7 would be at the very top of that list.

Archived