Fantasy Fantasy League

Real Heir of  Bear Island

Below is a spreadsheet a buddy and I have been working on. I'm a big fantasy football fan and we like to discuss different characters from the books we have read and what round pick they would be in. Turning this into an actual game or league would obviosuly be a little trickey and probably would work best as sort of a card game such as Magic the Gathering or Pokemon. I decided it would be a good discussion topic. Some questions I would like posed are: Who would you draft number one overall? What would be a good draft strategy? Are the characters properly categorized?  Am I missing any characters? Feel free to get into side convos and add characters from series I still haven't read. 

Some "rules":

When discussing with my friend, we talked about certain characters having good ratings and attributes in multiple categories. For example Rand Al'Thor will be a great Sorcerer but also a good general as well. Kahl Drogo would have good General attributes and also be a very good bruiser. That would be like having a Running Back that catches passes or QB who rushes for good yardage. 

All of the characters below need to be considered at the height of their power. Jaime Lannister would have two hands, Vin from Mistborn would be at her height as an Allomancer, etc. 

So please have at it. You can post your fantasy team in the format below, let us know your overall number one or let me know any changes you think you would make!

Fantasy Football Fantasy Equivalent Definitions:         Books/Series:
QB Sourcerer Sorcerer - Must be able to perform "magic"       ASOIAF (GRRM)
RB General Generals - Must be able to lead "men" for their "cause"     Mistborn incl Wax and Wayne (Sanderson)
RB General           Elantris (Sanderson)
WR Bruiser           Warbreaker (Sanderson)
WR Bruiser Brusier - Epic fighters who don't use any known " significant magics" to inflict their damage   Stormlight Archive (Sanderson)
Flex General/Brusier           The Wheel of Time (Jordan)
TE Mastermind Mastermind - Planner who uses wit and other non physical, non magical attributes to get the upper hand Kingkiller Chronicals (Rothfuss)
Defense Army Army - Epic Army         First Law World (Abercrombie)
Kicker Sidekick Sidekick - Last resort trick up the sleeve, this category gives that little extra to get out of a tough situation Shattered Seas (Abercrombie)
              Gentleman Bastards (Lynch)
Examples of each category:           Harry Potter (Rollins)
Sorcerer Generals/Leaders Bruisers Mastermind Army Sidekick   Hunger Games (Collins)
Gandolf Matt Cauthon Logen Ninefingers Tyrion Lannister Koloss Podrick Payne   Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)
Vin Perrin Aybara Jean Tannen Sand Dan Glothka Trollocs Sam Tarley    
Rand Al'Thor Jon Snow The Mountain Tywin Lannister Orcs Samwise Gangee    
Falconer Dany Targarian The Hound Locke Lamora Wildlings Olivr    
Kvothe Collem West Jamie Lannister Littlefinger White Walkers Loial    
Harry Potter Jezal dan Luthar Thorin Oakenshield Cersei Lannister Aeil Bast    
Saruman Frodo Baggins Bremer dan Gorst Sabetha Adem Bilbo Baggins    
Kelsier Pippin Ferro Majlinn Sazed Dothraki Sebban Balwer    
Marsh Aaragon Caul Shivers Lord Varys Lifeless Army Bug    
Moraine Merry Lan Mandragoran Marasi Dragonsworn Auri    
Bayaz Kaladin Stormblessed Adolin Kholin Steris Band of the Red Hand Tensoon    
Melisandre Dalinar Kholin Thormond Giantsbane Yarvi Nightswatch Wayne    
Egwene  Mance Rayder Barristan the Bold Sirri Northman Army Min     
Nynaeve Rob Stark Darkstar Vasher The Union Army Galladon    
Elayne Nicomo Cosca Hammond Breeze Ladrian Champions of Erebor Syl    
The God King Daeron I Targaryen Grom-Grom Gil Sarene Shanka Penny    
Eland Venture Wax Ladrian Nothing Thom Myrlin The Golden Company Temple    
Lord Ruler Monza Murcatto Brieanne of Tarth Bethod Second Sons Caldo    
Raoden Bryndan Tully Bronn Prince Calder The Rohirrim Galdo    
Siuan Davram t'Ghaline Bashere Robert Baratheon Jon Arryn Children of the Light Clod    
Ishmael Stannis Baratheon Black Dow Davos Westerosi Army Lightsong    
Sammael Ned Stark Thunderhead High Sparrow Ents Hurin    
Taim Rudd Threetrees Wun Wun Roose Bolton Gurkish MeLaan    
Logain Dogman Strong Belwas Shevediah The Thousand Swords Castor Morveer    
Voldemort Daario Whirrun of Bligh Blood Raven Manetheren Army Brother Longfoot    
Witch King Rhaegar Targarian Beorn Arya Stark Ironborn Dab Sweet    
Hermione Masema Denth Father Chains Bortherhood w/o Banners Reek    
Morroqo Kahl Drogo Fenris the Feared The Spider (Vorchenza) Parshendi Egg    
Caurib Aegon I Targaryen Glamar Golden The Red King Seanchan Damp Hair    
Thoros of Myr Maegor I Targaryen Scale Euron Ashamen Meera Reed    
Avienda Jaehaerys I Targaryen Ramsay Bolton Sevanna Warder Army Jojen Reed    
  Viserys I Targaryen Ser Arthur Dayne Dockson Peacekeepers Qyburn    
  Rayenyra Targaryen Ser Dunken the Tall Tindwyl District 13 Rebel Forces Peeta Mellark    
  Aegon V Targaryen Victorian Dilaf   Gale Hawthorne    
  Jeor Mormont Jarve the Lioness Hoid        
  Katniss Everdeen Loras Tyrell Haymitch Abernathy        
  Curndan Craw Syrio Forel Plutarch Heavensbee        
  Jon Connington Rorge          
  Beric Dondarion Biter          
  Randal Tarley Areo Hotah          
  President Snow  Gaul          
  Rodel  Ruric          
  Gareth Bryne Finnick Odair          
  Rodel Ituralde            
  Agelmar Jagad            

I want to point out two things: I know it's a typo, but to anyone who's read Discworld a 'sourcerer' is a very different thing to a 'sorcerer' and therefore one must be careful about the distinction. :P
And Katniss Everdeen is a terrible pick for the leader category given that half the point of the series, at least the books, is that

she's been a figurehead puppet for the real leaders of the revolution, often compromises plans when she does buy into her own myth and does things on her own, and then mentally unravels when these things come out.

This is probably going to get moved to the games subforum, where I don't post, but, because I'm a massive nerdling, I'm going to pick a rough-and-ready team to your criteria anyway (I decided to challenge myself a little by limiting it to one choice from any given world or series, coz I could easily fill several teams out with Malazan on its own, and same from Discworld apart from the 'army' part, because Discworld isn't really about that (on the other hand, it's stuffed to the gills with mastermind-material):

Sorcerer: Drusas Achamian, Second Apocalypse

General: Sam Vimes, Discworld

Bruiser: Uther Doul, Bas-Lag series (his sword might violate the 'no significant magic' clause but he's plenty bruising without it...)

Mastermind: Johnny Marcone, The Dresden Files

Army: Bridgeburners, motherfuckers! (well technically they're a part of of the 2nd Malazan Army, so I'll take the whole thing)

Sidekick: Kris Hansen, The Acts of Caine

Thanks for the post. A bit surprised not to have more as this is super nerdy stuff.

I agree that Katniss is a bit lame of a pic. It would be a very deep league and a very late pick. I almost did away with Hunger Games all together.

My friend who put this together with me read Malazan and iterated the same sentiment. I tried reading book one once, got a hundred pages in and lost interest. I will try again though as its on my list of must read fantasy series. 

Here would be my "dream team", though I don't think it would be realistic to get all theses in a draft:

Sorcerer: Rand Al'Thor

General 1: Matrim Cauthon

General 2: Jon Snow

Bruiser 1: Logan Ninefingers

Bruiser 2: The Mountain

Mastermind: Locke Lamora

Flex: Kaladin Stormblessed

Army: Seanchan Army

Sidekick: Tensoon

Not really. In Fantasy football, you would have a league of usually 10-12 teams. The teams would get together and draft enough players to fill the slots mentioned above and then some substitutes. Then once the NFL season starts players stats every week effect the score you get. If a player scores a touchdown he gets 6 points, usually 1 point for every 10 receiving/rushing yards, 1 point for every 25 passing yards so on and so forth. 

To make this an actual game wouldn't really work unless it is a card game. However I think getting 10 people together to have a draft. Draft night truly is the most fun part of Fantasy Football, that and the research that goes into pre-draft. Once the draft is complete, and drafters are properly drunk,  you can  debate who has the best team. Also one could pole the board/internet as to who "won the draft". It's basically another excuse to be a nerd and argue over why The Bloody nine would kick The Mountain's ass in single combat, or if a Randal Tarley lead army of Koloss would defeat a Perrin Aybara lead army of Orcs. 

Another, more laborious task, would be to assign attribute categories and numbers to these attributes then trying to figure out who got the best scores out of the draft. 

I did a top 3 picks for each category. If one doesn't fully work in a category, he/she can maybe be shuffled around.

Sorceror: 1) Anasurimbor Kellhus 2) Melian 3) Quick Ben

General 1: 1) Mat Cauthon 2) Coltaine 3) Robb Stark

General 2: 1) Monza Murcatto 2) Rodel Itularde 3) Ikurei Conphas

Bruiser 1 (some magical advantage): 1) Beorn 2) Drizzt do'Urden 3) Logen Ninefingers

Bruiser 2 (just skill and physicality): 1) Conan of Cimmeria 2) Syrio Forel 3) Whirrun of Bligh

General/Bruizer: 1) Cnaiür urs Skiötha 2) Lan Mandragoran 3) Vaelin al Sorna

Mastermind: 1) Anasurimbor Kellhus (pre-magical abilities) 2) Yarvi 3) Locke Lamora

Sidekick: 1) Tom Bombadil (if he counts) 2) Hermione Granger 3) Burrich

Army: 1) the Malazan military 2) the Aiel, 3) the Numenoreans,

Army alternatives (smaller, more specialized/elite forces): 1) the Bridgeburners of the 2nd Malazan Army 2) the Sixth Order of the Unified Realm 2) the Warders of the White Tower

Archived