Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theblackdragonI

Tywin not remarrying makes no sense

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Danelle said:

<snip

I believe that GRRM mentioning so frequently a sexual aspect in the relationship between Aerys and Joanna, the fact that he emphasises that the WOIF is not absolutely reliable, indicates that they must have had an affair and for some reason there are several mentions. 

 

Also GRRM personally added to TWOIAF the fact that Joanna was in King's Landing the year before Tyrion was born, along with the information that Joanna had been living at Casterly Rock for three years when the twins were born. Shot Twingaryen theory in the foot and gave a boost to A+J=T theorists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

It's explicitly said many times that he disinherited Tyrion.

That is after Joff's death. Before his death even Tywin would had been unable to change the law of succession.

15 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

Who he hasn't named his heir

He doesn't have to name his siblings and their children as the heirs. They are already at the line of succession they don't need his approval.

15 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

So no, Tywin doesn't have any heirs.

I think that you don't know how the laws of succession work. Kevan's, Tygett’s, Gerion's, Genna's and their descendants claim doesn’t come from Tywin. It comes from the fact that they were Tytos’ children, just like Tywin’s claim, and they are already in the line of succession, they didn’t need Tywin’s approval if he likes them to succeed him.

 (before AGOT) Tywins' line is Tytos' line;

Tywin

Jaime KG

Tyrion 

Cersei

Joffrey 

Tommen 

Myrcella

Kevan 

Lancel

Willem 

Martyn 

Janei

Tygett  died before AGOT

Tyrek

Gerion presumed dead before AGOT

Genna

Cleos Frey 

Tywin Frey 

Willem Frey 

Lyonel Frey

Tion Frey 

Red Walder Frey 

...
Joy Hill

 


and after Tytos' line comes Jason's line;
Damon 

Damion

Lucion    

Lanna

Stafford

Daven

Cerenna

Myrielle 

2 more sons and their descendants

Joannadied before AGOT

Jaime KG
Tyrion 
Cersei
Joffrey 
Tommen 

Myrcella

2 more daughters and their descendants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

That is after Joff's death. Before his death even Tywin would had been unable to change the law of succession.

He doesn't have to name his siblings and their children as the heirs. They are already at the line of succession they don't need his approval.

I think that you don't know how the laws of succession work. Kevan's, Tygett’s, Gerion's, Genna's and their descendants claim doesn’t come from Tywin. It comes from the fact that they were Tytos’ children, just like Tywin’s claim, and they are already in the line of succession, they didn’t need Tywin’s approval if he likes them to succeed him.

 (before AGOT) Tywins' line is Tytos' line;

Tywin

Jaime KG

Tyrion 

Cersei

Joffrey 

Tommen 

Myrcella

Kevan 

Lancel

Willem 

Martyn 

Janei

Tygett  died before AGOT

Tyrek

Gerion presumed dead before AGOT

Genna

Cleos Frey 

Tywin Frey 

Willem Frey 

Lyonel Frey

Tion Frey 

Red Walder Frey 

...
Joy Hill

 


and after Tytos' line comes Jason's line;
Damon 

Damion

Lucion    

Lanna

Stafford

Daven

Cerenna

Myrielle 

2 more sons and their descendants

Joannadied before AGOT

Jaime KG
Tyrion 
Cersei
Joffrey 
Tommen 

Myrcella

2 more daughters and their descendants

Tywin tells Tyrion after the Battle of the Blackwater he's not getting CR thus indicating Tyrion was disinherited before Joffrey's death. True, assuming Tywin never made it official then the way you listed would be how the succession would work. But just like in real life a person can override the laws of inheritance/succession more than likely with a will. The same way Robb disinherited Sansa after she married Tyrion. Or the way Walder Frey threatened to make his new son heir just to make the other children mad. 

Fwiw everyone technically has an heir. I think what people are saying is that he doesn't have an heir of his body i.e. a son who can inherit bc Jaime is in the KG and he won't allow Tyrion to inherit. Yes Cersei is still an heir but then CR goes to a Baratheon line not a Lannister which would seem to be a problem anywhere in Westeros but especially Tywin considering his emphasis on the Lannister legacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

Tywin tells Tyrion after the Battle of the Blackwater he's not getting CR thus indicating Tyrion was disinherited before Joffrey's death. True, assuming Tywin never made it official then the way you listed would be how the succession would work. But just like in real life a person can override the laws of inheritance/succession more than likely with a will. The same way Robb disinherited Sansa after she married Tyrion. Or the way Walder Frey threatened to make his new son heir just to make the other children mad. 

However we don't know if even Tywin would have been able to change the law.  I think that this is why he married Tyrion with Sansa, he knew that he couldn’t keep him away from CR and he gave him WF.

48 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

Fwiw everyone technically has an heir. I think what people are saying is that he doesn't have an heir of his body i.e. a son who can inherit bc Jaime is in the KG and he won't allow Tyrion to inherit. Yes Cersei is still an heir but then CR goes to a Baratheon line not a Lannister which would seem to be a problem anywhere in Westeros but especially Tywin considering his emphasis on the Lannister legacy.

I don't think that if Cersei's children take CR the line would have changed, unless Joff had kept the title for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

However we don't know if even Tywin would have been able to change the law.  I think that this is why he married Tyrion with Sansa, he knew that he couldn’t keep him away from CR and he gave him WF.

I don't think that if Cersei's children take CR the line would have changed, unless Joff had kept the title for himself.

 

He wouldn't be changing the law. The law is the succession is as you listed in your previous post unless a person changes who they want to inherit. This is how people get disinherited and how Robb was able to disinherit Sansa. 

Depending on how it worked it how it could've passed to the Baratheon line. For the sake of argument, let's say Tommen inherited CR through Cersei. He is technically a Baratheon so his heirs are Baratheon too thus CR moving forward would be Baratheon in name. Now it's possible he could've adopted the Lannister or Myrcella could marry a Lannister cousin and the line remain Lannister in name. I'm just acknowledging a possibility that seems like something Tywin would've been completely against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Maxxine said:

He wouldn't be changing the law. The law is the succession is as you listed in your previous post unless a person changes who they want to inherit. This is how people get disinherited and how Robb was able to disinherit Sansa. 

Depending on how it worked it how it could've passed to the Baratheon line. For the sake of argument, let's say Tommen inherited CR through Cersei. He is technically a Baratheon so his heirs are Baratheon too thus CR moving forward would be Baratheon in name. Now it's possible he could've adopted the Lannister or Myrcella could marry a Lannister cousin and the line remain Lannister in name. I'm just acknowledging a possibility that seems like something Tywin would've been completely against.

I think that even if Tommen had taken CR he would had taken the Lannister name after Joff would had children and heirs. I don't think that the Westerosi houses would have survived without the sons taking their mothers’ surnames. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the OP question, I can't see Tywin remarrying as a possibility at all:

He loved Joanna, and he was now older and more bitter. Probably not capable of opening his heart more than once.

He never, even to the bitter end, gave up on Jaime. I think he always believed he'd somehow find a way to get him out of the KG. Although he is a terrible parent to him, his love for Jaime is absolute, whereas for Cersei its conditional. He would see marrying and having another child as a risk to Jaime's inheritance, not as a sensible way to deal with having lost his heir to the KG.

Note he married a Lannister. He didn't ally with another great house. I think he would never trust marrying someone a great house - they'd have ambitions for their children.

His hatred of the woman his father brought into the house who wore his mother's jewels suggests he wouldn't be keen on the idea of stepmothers.

I don't know why people see it as hypocrisy for Tywin to see prostitutes. He objects to Tyrion being in an endless public romance with drink and prostitutes. He can doubtless see it relates to low self esteem and what he did to Tysha. He thinks Tyrion should stop being a smart-arse, stop asking for his and others respect and just become a hard arse like himself. He wouldn't mind if Tyrion was moderate and discrete, which is probably what Tywin is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

I'll admit, you've persuaded me to a degree. I fear I've been caught up in the Baratheon-Fury-Strength complex. It just seems like a natural step that such a warrior as Robert would have a massive temper, especially seeing how he's described during the Rebellion. But as you've pointed out, he had cause during the Rebellion and showed leniency after it. 

He's definitely justified in his attitude towards the Targs. But I still have trouble, and it most likely is down to me, but I really can't picture the Demon of the Trident keeping his peace for 15/16 years as his wife carried on an affair with her brother. This was the charismatic, giant who smashed armies and made all fear his name. I'm a huge Robert fan (and Tywin fan admittedl), but it seems unlikely that he would allow such a slight to his honour as king to go on for so long. But at the same time, as you've correctly pointed out, it was Brandon not Robert who went to KL. He does seem to pursue a very conciliatory policy from what we've seen him and heard of him.  To sum up, you've left me in the lurch.

 

The more you compare Ned's POV about Robert to real life the more it get iffy. Someone with a fierce temper wouldn't be so keen to forget what happened on the battlefield and be able to turn former enemies into friends. On the other hand Ned did have someone who lived that way. Someone who had to be begged not to rip an idiot who challenged him to duel in half and who went to KL searching for Rhaegar's blood. That man wasn't Robert but Brandon.

Which is fair enough. Projecting one's feelings to another is a coping mechanism and for someone like Ned whose family was wiped out and who ended up having to lead an army that wasn't 'his' and marry his brother's wife was surely in loads of pain. It would also explain why Ned would, time and time again, get disappointed by Robert. The Robert he had envisioned simply didn't exist and in most cases thank god to that. Someone with such temper wouldn't have reigned for so long.

Let me correct something though. I don't think that Robert knew 100% that his wife was cuckolding him with Jamie. I believe that he suspected it and decided to simply turned the other way. For a king of a fledgling dynasty to be able to dethrone a queen as powerful as Cersei he would have needed ample proof. Even with such proof the chances of a civil war which would strengthen the Targ hand were ridiculously high. So, he simply lived his life, keeping appearances and making sure that what real mattered to him ie whoring, drinking, strengthening the realm against the Targs and making sure that (his birthright ended up to a real Baratheon. Come to think of it I think Robert was the wisest of all. Both the crown and Cersei were poison. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

That is after Joff's death. Before his death even Tywin would had been unable to change the law of succession.

He doesn't have to name his siblings and their children as the heirs. They are already at the line of succession they don't need his approval.

I think that you don't know how the laws of succession work. Kevan's, Tygett’s, Gerion's, Genna's and their descendants claim doesn’t come from Tywin. It comes from the fact that they were Tytos’ children, just like Tywin’s claim, and they are already in the line of succession, they didn’t need Tywin’s approval if he likes them to succeed him.

 

I am well acquainted with how the laws of succession work. I'm merely pointing out that at no point in the series does Tywin declare or hint that Kevan is his heir. He hasn't technically disinherited Tyrion, but if he still refuses to let him inherit without disinheriting him, then he does have no legal heir bar Cersei and the Baratheons. This has already been discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

I am well acquainted with how the laws of succession work

It doesn't look like it.

9 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

does Tywin declare or hint that Kevan is his heir.

The point is that there is not need to declare it. His claim comes from Tytos and all of Tytos children are heirs even if Tywin doesn't like them or declare that they are the heirs. After all Tytos hadn't declared Tywin's children as his heirs.

9 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

This has already been discussed.

Not really.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, devilish said:

 

The more you compare Ned's POV about Robert to real life the more it get iffy. Someone with a fierce temper wouldn't be so keen to forget what happened on the battlefield and be able to turn former enemies into friends. On the other hand Ned did have someone who lived that way. Someone who had to be begged not to rip an idiot who challenged him to duel in half and who went to KL searching for Rhaegar's blood. That man wasn't Robert but Brandon.

Which is fair enough. Projecting one's feelings to another is a coping mechanism and for someone like Ned whose family was wiped out and who ended up having to lead an army that wasn't 'his' and marry his brother's wife was surely in loads of pain. It would also explain why Ned would, time and time again, get disappointed by Robert. The Robert he had envisioned simply didn't exist and in most cases thank god to that. Someone with such temper wouldn't have reigned for so long.

Let me correct something though. I don't think that Robert knew 100% that his wife was cuckolding him with Jamie. I believe that he suspected it and decided to simply turned the other way. For a king of a fledgling dynasty to be able to dethrone a queen as powerful as Cersei he would have needed ample proof. Even with such proof the chances of a civil war which would strengthen the Targ hand were ridiculously high. So, he simply lived his life, keeping appearances and making sure that what real mattered to him ie whoring, drinking, strengthening the realm against the Targs and making sure that (his birthright ended up to a real Baratheon. Come to think of it I think Robert was the wisest of all. Both the crown and Cersei were poison. 

I guess you're right about his temper. I've always had the impression that he is a classic Baratheon, quick to anger and quick to forgive but furious when riled. Maybe once the throne was his he lost a lot of the fury that drove him through the rebellion and became resigned to a life of boredom. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see where you're coming from and I hope it's true. But I can't reconcile in my head, Robert the Demon of the Trident and a man who would willingly be cuckolded (suspects it). But you could well be right, he could put the fate of the realm and his dynasty before his own pride. Which would as you point out, really make him the wisest of all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

It doesn't look like it.

The point is that there is not need to declare it. His claim comes from Tytos and all of Tytos children are heirs even if Tywin doesn't like them or declare that they are the heirs. After his children are his siblings even if he doesn't like it, even if he doesn't declare it. 

Not really.

 

Okay. 

Well there certainly is a need to declare specifically who your heir is if your the most powerful lord in the realm with an unclear succession don't you think? He clearly holds out hope of getting Jaime out of the KG, we don't know what the gameplan is with Cersei and her children, and he says he doesn't want Tyrion to inherit but he doesn't disinherit him and he marries him off to a great heiress. While technically Kevan would be his heir if Tyrion, Cersei and her children died, this is never hinted at and the fact that Kevan doesn't inherit anything shows he clearly was never considered the heir.

I assure you it is, feel free to check back through the posts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Well there certainly is a need to declare specifically who your heir is if your the most powerful lord in the realm with an unclear succession don't you think?

No. It is nothing unclear, it is quite clear and I have already written the line of succession;

7 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

(before AGOT) Tywins' line is Tytos' line;

Tywin

Jaime KG

Tyrion 

Cersei

Joffrey 

Tommen 

Myrcella

Kevan 

Lancel

Willem 

Martyn 

Janei

Tygett  died before AGOT

Tyrek

Gerion presumed dead before AGOT

Genna

Cleos Frey 

Tywin Frey 

Willem Frey 

Lyonel Frey

Tion Frey 

Red Walder Frey 

...
Joy Hill

 


and after Tytos' line comes Jason's line;
Damon 

Damion

Lucion    

Lanna

Stafford

Daven

Cerenna

Myrielle 

2 more sons and their descendants

Joannadied before AGOT

Jaime KG
Tyrion 
Cersei
Joffrey 
Tommen 

Myrcella

2 more daughters and their descendants

14 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

what the gameplan is with Cersei and her children,

Tywin couldn't knew that Cersei and her children would die, hence he had at least one child and three grandchildren to succeed him.

14 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

this is never hinted at and the fact that Kevan doesn't inherit anything shows he clearly was never considered the heir.

Again, what I think that you don't understand is that even if he didn't liked Tyrion he had done nothing in order to disinherit him and he had Cersei and her children. So he had 5 legal heirs before Kevan. Why he should said that Kevan was his heir when he already had at least one child and three grandchildren? I cannot understand why the eff he should had guessed that at some point in the future the Queen and the Royal family would had died. Was he a seer or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

No. It is nothing unclear, it is quite clear and I have already written the line of succession;

Tywin couldn't knew that Cersei and her children would die, hence he had at least one child and three grandchildren to succeed him.

Again, what I think that you don't understand is that even if he didn't liked Tyrion he had done nothing in order to disinherited and he had Cersei and her children. I cannot understand why the eff why he should had guessed that at some point in the future the Queen and the Royal family would had died.

Yes you have we all know the technicalities of the succession, I'm pointing out that in reality the succession was not as clear as that. We don't know if he'd be okay with Tommen/Myrcella inheriting. Tommen can't inherit after Joffrey dies, and Myrcella is to marry a Martel. Which means you'll have House Martel of Casterly Rock unless he changes his name, still going to be Dornish rulers of the West. Can't imagine Tywin would be happy with that, never mind leaving his power to Cersei who he knows is insane. He never shows any inclination that he considers anyone to be his heir other than Jaime. Not Cersei, Joffrey, Tommen, Myrcella, Tyrion, Kevan.... nobody. 

Again, I assure you I understand how succession works, please don't tell me what I do and don't understand. The point of this thread is that given the unusual factors in Tywin's succession, that it is foolish and hypocritical of him not to remarry and produce a suitable heir from his direct line. 

I hope this cleared things up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

But you could well be right, he could put the fate of the realm and his dynasty before his own pride.

His pride would be hurt by the whole world knowing that he was cuckolded for the last 13 years. That is a pretty embarrassing legacy for any King, not something Robert would want to confirm, especially one who had his first betrothed wife run off with another man rather than marry him. 

Robert would much rather have the world know that Lyanna was took against her will and I think it is possible that a prideful man would rather bury the truth about what Cersei has done to him rather than be the laughing stock of the world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, theblackdragonI said:

I'm pointing out that in reality the succession was not as clear as that.

How and why? He had one child he didn't liked but had done nothing in order to disinherite and one child that had three children. After them he had siblings, nephews and nieces. How is that not clear?

2 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

We don't know if he'd be okay with Tommen/Myrcella inheriting.

And why he should had any problem with that?

3 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Tommen can't inherit after Joffrey dies

Why he should expect that Joff would die?

3 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Myrcella is to marry a Martel

And? It's not like he was expecting that she was was going to marry Trystane or that Trystane was the heir. 

4 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Which means you'll have House Martel of Casterly Rock unless he changes his name, still going to be Dornish rulers of the West.

That doesn't make sense. We know how it works with Ladies of their own right, their children take their names and not the name of their father.

6 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Can't imagine Tywin would be happy with that, never mind leaving his power to Cersei who he knows is insane. He never shows any inclination that he considers anyone to be his heir other than Jaime. Not Cersei, Joffrey, Tommen, Myrcella, Tyrion, Kevan.... nobody. 

Your whole assumption is based on the fact that somehow Tywin knew what was going to happen in the future. In the past he couldn't knew how Joff would die, in the past he couldn't knew if Cersei would had been mad or not, in the past he couldn't knew if Jaime would had been a KG or not.

8 minutes ago, theblackdragonI said:

Again, I assure you I understand how succession works, please don't tell me what I do and don't understand. The point of this thread is that given the unusual factors in Tywin's succession, that it is foolish and hypocritical of him not to remarry and produce a suitable heir from his direct line. 

Well it doesn't look like it because as I said before it looks like you believe that somehow Tywin after Joana's death knew what was going to happen in the future,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

How and why? He had one child he didn't liked but had done nothing in order to disinherite and one child that had three children. After them he had siblings, nephews and nieces. How is that not clear?

And why he should had any problem with that?

Why he should expect that Joff would die?

And? It's not like he was expecting that she was was going to marry Trystane or that Trystane was the heir. 

That doesn't make sense. We know how it works with Ladies of their own right, their children take their names and not the name of their father.

Your whole assumption is based on the fact that somehow Tywin knew what was going to happen in the future. In the past he couldn't knew how Joff would die, in the past he couldn't knew if Cersei would had been mad or not, in the past he couldn't knew if Jaime would had been a KG or not.

Well it doesn't look like it because as I said before it looks like you believe that somehow Tywin after Joana's death knew what was going to happen in the future,

When do you think Tywin died? 

He saw Joffrey die and he knew Myrcella was going to marry Trystane.

I said that if he changes his name it will still be Dornish blood on the West.

My whole assumption is not based on that. I don't even have an assumption. I'm pointing out that given the circumstances, Tywin should have remarried. It was you assumed that this discussion was focused on a set point in time.

I'm not talking about a set point in time like after Joana's death. I'm talking about from her death to his death. Right before he died he was still holding out on Jaime (who clearly doesn't want to leave the KG), he knew Cersei was insane and Tyrion was to be executed by his order. So, he has no really viable options and yet he doesn't seem panicked or declare the succession. He could have remarried and created an heir. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

When do you think Tywin died? 

In 300 AL.

9 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

He saw Joffrey die and he knew Myrcella was going to marry Trystane.

Joff died in 300 AL and Myrcella was sent to Dorne in 299 AL.

9 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

I said that if he changes his name it will still be Dornish blood on the West.

So effing what? That is how marriage works.

9 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

. I'm pointing out that given the circumstances,

Only there are no special circumstances. Tywin until 281 had three children and until 300 had two children and three grandchildren. His own bloodline was safe.

9 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

Right before he died he was still holding out on Jaime (who clearly doesn't want to leave the KG), he knew Cersei was insane and Tyrion was to be executed by his order. 

You do understand that he had to fight a war, to rule and unite a Kingdom while he still had a grandson a grandaughter and siblings.  

9 hours ago, theblackdragonI said:

So, he has no really viable options and yet he doesn't seem panicked or declare the succession. He could have remarried and created an heir. 

He had no reason to be panicked. He still had a grandson a grandaughter and siblings who had children of their own. His claim came from the fact that he was Tytos' son much like Kevan's, Tyg's, Gerion's and Genna's claim that it what you don't understand. The line of succession isn't up to debate and has nothing to do with Tywin's personal choices, it doesn't matter what he would declare or not the line is clear.

 

When Cerelle Lannister died without having declared an heir her uncle Gerold became the Lord. Why? Because both Cerelle's and Gerold's claim came from Damon and there was need for a declaration. Much like in Tytos' line case, there is no need for a formal declaration; we know how the laws of inheritage work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/02/2017 at 0:29 AM, theblackdragonI said:

I guess you're right about his temper. I've always had the impression that he is a classic Baratheon, quick to anger and quick to forgive but furious when riled. Maybe once the throne was his he lost a lot of the fury that drove him through the rebellion and became resigned to a life of boredom. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see where you're coming from and I hope it's true. But I can't reconcile in my head, Robert the Demon of the Trident and a man who would willingly be cuckolded (suspects it). But you could well be right, he could put the fate of the realm and his dynasty before his own pride. Which would as you point out, really make him the wisest of all.

I think that Robert’s fury came out only on issues he cared dearly upon and even then only when pressed to the ropes. The Targs is a clear example of it. Robert remained a loyal subject to the Targs even though their capricious nature caused his parent’s death and the crown prince flirted and stole his girlfriend. I am pretty sure that he wasn’t happy about the situation. However I can’t help thinking that he truly believed that the king would bring justice to it, by punishing his son and giving him Lyanna back. Shit only hit fan when, Aerys asked for Robert’s and Ned’s head. 


Regarding the cuckolding thing, I think it’s more complex than we think. Lets analyse the scenario. By the time of GOT, the crown was heavily indebted to the Lannisters. The Lannisters used such leverage to fill KL with Lannister cronies. Now let say Ned did manage to talk to Robert, and Robert decided to act upon it, how exactly would things pan out? 


If Robert went full fury over his wife and her children then he would end up doing in Aerys. Most houses, whom, till then, had supported the Usurper and had patiently paid his bills simply because he was a charismatic chap would run scared from him. The Lannisters would rebel, alongside Dorne and possibly the Reach. The latter just want their Margaery queen and would most certainly opt for Viserys instead of some king who first abuse his family ties by forcing them to pay his bills only to cut his wife’s head because she produced children with the wrong hair colour.


If Robert goes to court then this would most certainly end badly. Pycelle would most certainly ridicule Ned’s accusations. He would argue that Ned has no medical background whatsoever and that his theory is absolutely bonkers. The Lannisters would also argue that the Starks had been undermining the Lannisters ever since Ned set foot to KL. Tyrion was kidnapped by Cat, Jamie was assaulted by Ned and Ned abused from his role as hand to summon Tywin to court to answer for Sir Gregor’s crime even though he had no proof that Gregor was guilty of such crime let alone that Tywin sent him to do it. 


The other option would be a trail by combat between the crown and the Lannisters.  Neither Robert nor Selmy were in a condition to go toe to toe against Jamie, Gregor or the Hound. 


I think that Robert was aware of the complexity of accusing his wife of such crime. He was also aware that Westeros wasn’t in condition to go to war just yet either. Jon Arryn had just died leaving a boy to rule the Vale. Hoster was sick which means that the Tullys were in no mood to go to war either. Those were two massive allies for Robert.


 So instead of barging in like Ned did, he might have decided to pull out of this stingy case, allowing others to slowly build a case. Renly was working his magic with the Tyrells (his Margaery looks like Lyanna’s trick was a bit OTT) while Robert was working his magic with his Northern friend who had direct links with the Riverlands, whom in turn, had direct links to the Vale. Time was also at their side. Tywin was ancient and the old lion was determined not to allow the Imp inherit CR. That means that soon enough the Westerlands would soon end up without a heir. 


Don’t take me wrong, Robert was 100% committed to his wife and her children. However co-incidences do happen. I mean lets imagine this scenario.  6 years has passed since Robert came to Winterfell. Tywin is in his dead bed, which has halted to marriage between Sansa and Joffrey once again. Meanwhile the two Lannister lovers are enjoying their usual escapades only to be interrupted by Renly, Loras, the KG and Tyrell forces. What would happen then? Would Kevan even contemplate the idea of leading a revolt against the crown for a crime which is so frigging obvious? I guess not, especially since his boy is hostage in KL. What about the Tyrells? Surely they will be compensated handsomely especially if they are able to sort yet another issue (ie the Sansa problem). Robert would gladly marry Margaery, especially if either Willas (if Sansa isn’t married/pregnant with Joffrey’s son) or Loras (if she is) marries Sansa.  If they refuse, well, Renly can take one for the team by marrying the beautiful she wolf can he?

 

Kings can choose to ignore alot of things only to stop ignoring them when the time is right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×