Legion (FX's Marvel tv series) [SPOILERS]

AncalagonTheBlack

Surprised there wasn't a thread already.I'm about to watch the first episode,which premiered last night.It's getting rave reviews on most sites.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/feb/08/legion-the-most-bracing-beautiful-superhero-tv-show-yet

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/mystery-begins-legions-weird-and-wondrous-premiere-249824

My post from the watched, watching thread:

I thought the premiere of Legion was amazing. I loved pretty much everything about it. How weird it was, the cast, the music was great (I like the nod to Syd Barrett), and the ending was badass. I read some of the Legion comics years ago, and I remember digging them for the most part, but for whatever reason I mostly forgot about the character until I heard about this show being made. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Surprised there wasn't a thread already.I'm about to watch the first episode,which premiered last night.It's getting rave reviews on most sites.

We were just using the X-Men general thread.

Hoping to watch this later today depending on when I finish work.

Just to be on the safe side

Spoiler

I liked it a lot, I have heard that the next episode is less disjointed, I hope it does not devolve into super team heroics. That is my one resevation about the Not X-Men and Not Professor X.

The one thing that actually confused me, and I guess is part of the "what is real" nature of the show is how exactly Syd's power worked. It appeared their minds merely switched bodies but then there was that scene where Syd physically became David and he was out of the hospital.

I have been trying to think who the Yellow Eyed Devil could be, if he isn't merely an invention for the show, The Shadow King, perhaps?

With this and Deadpool (and arguably the failure of Apocalypse) maybe Fox will embrace visions from younger/not Bryan Singer and Kinberg? If Logan is a success when I assume Jackman and Mangold were given more freedom it will hopefully nail the idea.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

This was brilliant. Reminded me of Mr. Robot, but with it's own unique spin on it.

Feels like "Mr Robot by the guy who did Fargo" so a lot more fun. Plus it seems to be pretty upfront with things not being what the appear.

To be honest this could have been called "Fargo season 3" and despite having nothing to do with the Fargo plots - it's so similar in style, appearance and storytelling that you could almost fool people. Anyone who's a fan of the Fargo TV show but hates X-men should still give this a try.

8 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hide contents

I liked it a lot, I have heard that the next episode is less disjointed, I hope it does not devolve into super team heroics. That is my one resevation about the Not X-Men and Not Professor X.

The one thing that actually confused me, and I guess is part of the "what is real" nature of the show is how exactly Syd's power worked. It appeared their minds merely switched bodies but then there was that scene where Syd physically became David and he was out of the hospital.

I have been trying to think who the Yellow Eyed Devil could be, if he isn't merely an invention for the show, The Shadow King, perhaps?

I'm almost certain he's the shadow king. The

overweight egyptian "ghost" can't be anyone else, right? Plus Chris Claremont gets credited as a creator - although I only just discovered he created "legion". I always thought he was created by the mid 90s X-scribes.

Really curious as to whether the other mutants are comics-based or not.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Woah. I went in blind, I only knew it was an X-Men related series on FX. So I was thinking like.......Arrow was my benchmark. What the fuck did I just watch? It was awesome.

Arrow it ain't. Not even the Netflix shows are as out there as this show. Although it remains to be seen if it will be as enjoyable. Great start though.

Enjoyed the premiere. One long mind fuck but very entertaining and comical. That tracking shot was fantastic. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, since I'm not too familiar with the comic other than who David Haller is.

Liked it a lot.

The scene with them all trapped in their rooms with all the screaming was horrible, it was great.

13 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I suspect it's more the personality that controls his telekinesis. In his Legacy run (I'm most familiar with Legion from,) he's got a sort of prison in his mind full of personifications of his powers. They range from just people to bizarre monsters.

It could be Shadow King, but I'm not feeling it. Also seen it mentioned as possibly Mojo, that would be really out there.

I'm wondering what made Art Garfunkel turn to evil and take up whittling.

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

My post from the watched, watching thread:

I thought the premiere of Legion was amazing. I loved pretty much everything about it. How weird it was, the cast, the music was great (I like the nod to Syd Barrett), and the ending was badass. I read some of the Legion comics years ago, and I remember digging them for the most part, but for whatever reason I mostly forgot about the character until I heard about this show being made. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Good to know.... you're one of the people on this forum who I tend to agree with... and this will be a next-day view for me anyway...

8 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Liked it a lot.

The scene with them all trapped in their rooms with all the screaming was horrible, it was great.

Hide contents

I suspect it's more the personality that controls his telekinesis. In his Legacy run (I'm most familiar with Legion from,) he's got a sort of prison in his mind full of personifications of his powers. They range from just people to bizarre monsters.

It could be Shadow King, but I'm not feeling it. Also seen it mentioned as possibly Mojo, that would be really out there.

I'm wondering what made Art Garfunkel turn to evil and take up whittling.

I never read the most recent run of the comic but I am familiar with his various personas having different power sets which is what makes him potentially so powerful.

I still think it's most likely to be the Shadow king although I guess the Shadow King could just be an aspect of his personality in this show. I think there's more potential from another telepath trying to hijack his abilities but that's maybe just because I enjoyed the scorpius/crichton dynamic in "farscape".

I'm also wondering whether he can collect peoples' consciousness? If he can read minds (unbeknownst to himself) he could record templates of people and then run them within his mind. Aubrey Plaza's character could fit this bill but there may be more.

I think I need to watch the escape scene again as it was pretty full on. Loved the casual yet awesome use of telekinesis.

I also need to check the part where Legion was attacked, it cut away and then when it came back he wasn't under attack

Spoiler

The Shadow King has possessed David in the comics, so there is comic history there. I don't think it is a personality because it was there when Syd was in his mind and presumably she was driving at that point and not any version of David. The thing also shows up when he isn't using telekinesis like on the beach at the end. 

Aside from being fat, I don't think it has much in common with Mojo, the old slug is a parody of TV execs not usually associated with mind powers. Unless they are trying to backdoor a Longshot spinoff :D

the part where David got grabbed during the escape was definitely a bit of intentional ambiguity. The camera pans away and all of a sudden he is safe when it pans back. Either we are meant to question the reality of the whole escape, it definitely had shades of the ending of Terry Gilliam's Brazil if you are familiar with that movie, or maybe we will see the moment form another perspective.

If Wes Anderson directed a superhero series ...

Apart from some atrocious CGI, that was great.

Did anyone catch the significance of the theater stage in the room adjacent to where David was being interrogated? It looked like some people were watching TV on a stage while the military personnel was busy. but I didn't get what it was about.

It was definitely interesting. I know nothing of Legion, as others have said, so I went into this blind. It has my interest and I will be watching for a while.

12 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Did anyone catch the significance of the theater stage in the room adjacent to where David was being interrogated? It looked like some people were watching TV on a stage while the military personnel was busy. but I didn't get what it was about.

I assumed it was just letting us know how much more there was to where he was being held other than what he was seeing.

Just now, denstorebog said:

I saw the stage but have no idea what sort of significance it held, other than perhaps informing us that everything we have seen up until this point has been occurring inside David's head. 

Archived