Jojen sick

shortguy457

So Jojen just starts getting sick in the beginning of A dance with dragons? Is this alluded to at all in ASOS that maybe I overlooked?

What's wrong with Jojen? He's first all excited to go see the three eyed glow and then when they get there he's all depressed? What's wrong with him? Did he catch of the flu? Is he just hungry and cold, i dont understand.

He's been trudging through the wilderness with little shelter and little food.  Considering he battled Greywater fever and Meera didn't it's not a stretch to think he has a lesser immune system than her and the others.  Some people are simply more susceptible to illness.  He also knows the day he'll die and that day seems to be approaching.  It's understandable that he'd grow more depressed as the day draws nearer.  Stress and depression can weaken an immune system. 

In addition to what others have mentioned already, I think it was back in Clash that Nan called Jojen "little grandfather' after the feast because he was so depressed, or solemn.

I think Jojen had started to resign himself to his poosible fate , but it is weird that the further he moved away from his home, the more somber and then sick he became.

On 2/11/2017 at 0:18 AM, shortguy457 said:

So Jojen just starts getting sick in the beginning of A dance with dragons? Is this alluded to at all in ASOS that maybe I overlooked?

What's wrong with Jojen? He's first all excited to go see the three eyed glow and then when they get there he's all depressed? What's wrong with him? Did he catch of the flu? Is he just hungry and cold, i dont understand.

Jojen seemed to have started getting sickly after they passed through the Black Gate. Up until that time Jojen was the robust, feisty, bossy the leader of the group of companions. Although Hodor and all of the children suffered during their travels Jojen was most affected. Once Jojen got into the cave he perked up:

A Dance with Dragons - Bran II    Then she slipped an arm around her brother and shouldered him back onto his feet once more. His eyes opened. "What?" he said. "Meera? Where are we?" When he saw the fire, he smiled. "I had the strangest dream."

I wonder if he the dream Jojen is referring to ^ was the ordeal of getting to the cave or whether he had a green dream about something else.

So I started thinking back towards what had been said before DwD:

A Storm of Swords - Bran I    "No," said Jojen, "only a boy who dreams. The greenseers were more than that. They were wargs as well, as you are, and the greatest of them could wear the skins of any beast that flies or swims or crawls, and could look through the eyes of the weirwoods as well, and see the truth that lies beneath the world.

"The gods give many gifts, Bran. My sister is a hunter. It is given to her to run swiftly, and stand so still she seems to vanish. She has sharp ears, keen eyes, a steady hand with net and spear. She can breathe mud and fly through trees. I could not do these things, no more than you could. <snip> We remember the First Men in the Neck, and the children of the forest who were their friends . . . but so much is forgotten, and so much we never knew."

A Clash of Kings - Bran III    A woven net hung from one slim hip, a long bronze knife from the other; under her arm she carried an old iron greathelm spotted with rust; a frog spear and round leathern shield were strapped to her back.

Her brother was several years younger and bore no weapons. All his garb was green, even to the leather of his boots, and when he came closer Bran saw that his eyes were the color of moss, though his teeth looked as white as anyone else's. Both Reeds were slight of build, slender as swords and scarcely taller than Bran himself.

A Clash of Kings - Bran III    "We bring you gifts of fish and frog and fowl," he said. "I thank you." Bran wondered if he would have to eat a frog to be polite. "I offer you the meat and mead of Winterfell." He tried to recall all he had been taught of the crannogmen, who dwelt amongst the bogs of the Neck and seldom left their wetlands. They were a poor folk, fishers and frog-hunters who lived in houses of thatch and woven reeds on floating islands hidden in the deeps of the swamp.

My thought is that once Jojen passed through the Black Gate and came out on the north side of the Wall he was cut off from, for lack of a better description, the magics of the crannogs.  Once he was inside the warded cave and saw & felt the fire, touched the earth (actual dirt not snow) he started to get better. May sound a bit strange but I would also mention he got to eat fish again.

As to why he got moody and sullen after he recuperated, I don’t know, unless it has to do with when he told his sister, "I had the strangest dream."

On 2/10/2017 at 9:18 PM, shortguy457 said:

He isn't sick. He is weak from travels and the knowledge that he will die when he returns home. As of dance he is stuck in a cave with his sister and bran. Death surrounds them so they are stuck in the darkness. He has dreamed his own death, which is why he could fuck with the wolves in Clash.  And he is not paste. That is fantasy for people who need the CTOF to be absolute sinister evil 

12 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

He isn't sick. He is weak from travels and the knowledge that he will die when he returns home. As of dance he is stuck in a cave with his sister and bran. 

And Snowy Locks, no doubt wielding a bronze sickle and filet knife. 

12 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

Death surrounds them so they are stuck in the darkness. He has dreamed his own death, which is why he could fuck with the wolves in Clash.  And he is not paste. That is fantasy for people who need the CTOF to be absolute sinister evil 

Mwahahaha...

Actually, I don't think they are evil--just doing what needs to be done. 

Things get very strange for all the kids in the cave.  They've traveled a very long way, starved and cold which certainly wore them down and as many above have stated, Jojen may be compromised by his earlier childhood illness.  But his attitude really changes in the cave.  Meera and Hodor and even Bran want to explore the wonders, hear stories, be dazzled.  But Jojen curls up into himself and becomes sullen.  He wasn't sullen before.  Jojen is magical.   Perhaps his mojo is hampered in the cave or merely by (as someone also said) being far from home or even simply north of the Wall.   Maybe.  What is apparent is Bran's instruction while he's still learning to control himself.  He is surely strengthened by food and warmth and having reached his goal.  Bran doesn't know what to think of the cave.   He sort of resigns himself to this as his future. Jojen likely knows or has at least dreamed that this is not the end of Bran's road and doesn't dig all the death in the cave or Bran's willingness to accept it for himself.  Meera tells Bran that Jojen is homesick.   I doubt we will ever get the full story behind what's going on with Jojen, but I wouldn't discount any and all speculation.   Jojen isn't like other 12 or 14 year-olds.  What's the deal with him taking his ball and just sitting at the mouth of the cave looking out for hours?   

9 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

because nobody accepts my theory that the great other is the bastard child of Megatron and Optimus prime, and it is more believable than the Jojen paste theory 

I detect a lot of bitterness and disappointment. Have you been sucking lemons? Have a peach. 

Archived