Davos finding Rickon?

shortguy457

16 minutes ago, shortguy457 said:

I saw on the wiki that Davos is going to a place called Skagos to find Rickon Stark but none of this is suggested in his last chapter. Why do people think he's going to Skagos? I know that Wex tapped the map with his knife but it doesn't say where.

It is! Remember when Manderly and Davos talk? And Glover brings in Wex Pyke?

Can't edit, so here:

A Dance with Dragons - Davos IV 

"Where is the boy?" Somehow Davos knew he would not like the answer. "Where is it you want me to go, my lord?"

Robett Glover said, "Wex. Show him." 

The mute flipped the dagger, caught it, then flung it end over end at the sheepskin map that adorned Lord Wyman's wall. It struck quivering. Then he grinned.

For half a heartbeat Davos considered asking Wyman Manderly to send him back to the Wolf's Den, to Ser Bartimus with his tales and Garth with his lethal ladies. In the Den even prisoners ate porridge in the morning. But there were other places in this world where men were kinown to break their fast on human flesh.

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It is! Remember when Manderly and Davos talk? And Glover brings in Wex Pyke?

I'm sorry I dont understand Can you be more specific?

Davos asks where the boy is and Wex just throws his knife at the map. Then Davos thinks something that may be alluding to Skagos but it doesn't actually confirm it

There's no confirmation, you're right. But I very much doubt the hints are red herrings. We also have Jon in Ghost seeing Shaggy fight a unicorn. 

And then we learn through Davos (earlier, when he was in The Sisters, iirc) and a letter Cotter Pyke sends Jon that there are at least 2 ships stranded on Skagos and/or Skane. Nice ride for the army of skagosi warriors that will come with Rickon! ;)

Also you have this from Jon I ADWD in reference to Shaggydog:

Far off, he could hear his packmates calling to him, like to like. They were hunting too. A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat's long horn had raked him.

The only known place where unicorns live is Skagos.

1 minute ago, Horse of Kent said:

Also you have this from Jon I ADWD in reference to Shaggydog:

Far off, he could hear his packmates calling to him, like to like. They were hunting too. A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat's long horn had raked him.

The only known place where unicorns live is Skagos.

What?!! There's unicorns in this series?! I totally miss that. Uhh I feel too dumb for this book

10 minutes ago, shortguy457 said:

What?!! There's unicorns in this series?! I totally miss that. Uhh I feel too dumb for this book

The books are too rich in details. Remember most ppl here have read them gazillion times over the years... :)

On 2/14/2017 at 7:32 PM, kissdbyfire said:

The books are too rich in details. Remember most ppl here have read them gazillion times over the years... :)

Indeed, so rich that can easily lead to crack-pottery and start to suspect on every word you see on the book and misread the whole thing. That's why this forum exists and a good number of blogs. One needs to read them.

On 2/14/2017 at 7:21 PM, shortguy457 said:

It's not confirmed. So far, it is claimed that there are unicorns in Skagos. The best evidence so far is the wolf dream by Jon, but then we have that weird wolf dream by Bran seeing a "fire snake" over Winterfell (was that a dragon!?). But indeed, Rickon is most likely in Skagos.

As kissdbyfire said, the book is riddled by details and one discovers new things every time one gives a peek. I missed tons of them also because I have a very pathological way to read books.

5 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Indeed, so rich that can easily lead to crack-pottery and start to suspect on every word you see on the book and misread the whole thing. That's why this forum exists and a good number of blogs. One needs to read them.

It's not confirmed. So far, it is claimed that there are unicorns in Skagos. The best evidence so far is the wolf dream by Jon, but then we have that weird wolf dream by Bran seeing a "fire snake" over Winterfell (was that a dragon!?). But indeed, Rickon is most likely in Skagos.

As kissdbyfire said, the book is riddled by details and one discovers new things every time one gives a peek. I missed tons of them also because I have a very pathological way to read books.

Yeah, Every time I read or listen to the books I notice something I hadn't before...

As to the bold. please elaborate! :)

On 2/14/2017 at 1:21 PM, shortguy457 said:

9 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

As far as unicorns in the story, we also have them on four or five house sigils, which means someone somewhere has seen one to use the image. Who knows, maybe it is part of all the "horned lord" imagery and tales we have in the story? And also this:

A Feast for Crows - The Reaver

"It will be done." Nute grinned. "It is a great victory."
Aye, he thought, a great victory for the Crow's Eye and his wizards. The other captains would shout his brother's name anew when the tidings reached Oakenshield. Euron had seduced them with his glib tongue and smiling eye and bound them to his cause with the plunder of half a hundred distant lands; gold and silver, ornate armor, curved swords with gilded pommels, daggers of Valyrian steel, striped tiger pelts and the skins of spotted cats, jade manticores and ancient Valyrian sphinxes, chests of nutmeg, cloves, and saffron, ivory tusks and the horns of unicorns, green and orange and yellow feathers from the Summer Sea, bolts of fine silk and shimmering samite . . . and yet all that was little and less, compared to this. Now he has given them conquest, and they are his for good and all, the captain thought. The taste was bitter on his tongue. This was my victory, not his. Where was he? Back on Oakenshield, lazing in a castle. He stole my wife and he stole my throne, and now he steals my glory.

A Dance with Dragons - Jon XII

As they passed, each warrior stripped off his treasures and tossed them into one of the carts that the stewards had placed before the gate. Amber pendants, golden torques, jeweled daggers, silver brooches set with gemstones, bracelets, rings, niello cups and golden goblets, warhorns and drinking horns, a green jade comb, a necklace of freshwater pearls … all yielded up and noted down by Bowen Marsh. One man surrendered a shirt of silver scales that had surely been made for some great lord. Another produced a broken sword with three sapphires in the hilt.
And there were queerer things: a toy mammoth made of actual mammoth hair, an ivory phallus, a helm made from a unicorn's head, complete with horn. How much food such things would buy in the Free Cities, Jon Snow could not begin to say.

10 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Yeah, Every time I read or listen to the books I notice something I hadn't before...

As to the bold. please elaborate! :)

Ah.... If a book doesn't entertain me in the few first pages, there is no hope I will ever read it.  I don't care about spoilers. Some times I read the final pages first, or somewhere in the middle. If I really like a book,  I do many re-reads, often opening the book at a random place and read many pages at once. My GF gets crazy about it.

In the case of asoiaf series, I heard my friends going crazy about the GoT TV series. I don't own a TV so I went to youtube and watched some clips and I like some scenes, I read some summaries of the story so I knew what I was going to find. One friend had the books and once visiting I read few chapters of Feast (?), so I downloaded the books, but I never found aGoT. I read all the remaining four books (from aCoK to aDwD) in two weeks, sometimes skipping many pages and even chapters (e.g. many Sansa's). This left me with lot of questions so I went to Amazon and I bought the whole series, which I gave a new slightly slower read. Can you believe that I haven't yet finished aGoT and some Sansa's chapters? I'm doing an effort right now after the excellent Alyane chapter in Winds.  On the other hand, I read aDwD fully several times, which is imho the best of the series although tWoW is very promising.

Archived