Advanced Crackpottery 4 - Daario Naharis: International Man of Mystery

Lady Blizzardborn

23 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

A thought on this. Brown Ben's betrayal was for gold. Do you think we'll see another betrayal for gold?

I'm not sure Ben's minor treachery rises to the level of one of the "grand" betrayals- I'm looking at it more as a temporary strategic realignment. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, though.

Her noble husband was soon fast asleep. Daenerys could only twist and turn beside him. She wanted to shake him, wake him, make him hold her, kiss her, fuck her again, but even if he did, he would fall back to sleep again afterward, leaving her alone in the darkness. She wondered what Daario was doing. Was he restless as well? Was he thinking about her? Did he love her, truly? Did he hate her for marrying Hizdahr? I should never have taken him into my bed. He was only a sellsword, no fit consort for a queen, and yet …

I knew that all along, but I did it anyway.[/i]

Someone posted this on Small Questions and the bolded part stuck out to me.

And yet what?  Has Dany picked up the clues too that Daario is a Blackfyre?  

2 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Her noble husband was soon fast asleep. Daenerys could only twist and turn beside him. She wanted to shake him, wake him, make him hold her, kiss her, fuck her again, but even if he did, he would fall back to sleep again afterward, leaving her alone in the darkness. She wondered what Daario was doing. Was he restless as well? Was he thinking about her? Did he love her, truly? Did he hate her for marrying Hizdahr? I should never have taken him into my bed. He was only a sellsword, no fit consort for a queen, and yet …

I'm diggin' this crackpot more and more. Good questions IH.

5 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Thanks for adding this Isobel Harper. Off the top of my head I'd say she knew all along that Daario wasn't a suitable choice but slept with him anyway, or fell in love with him anyway.  

If indeed Daario is a Blackfyre, Dany would be the last to know it. If she'd studied Westerosi history and the whole Blackfyre debacle then I think she would spot clues. I'm sure there are better reasons for Dany to have very little knowledge of Westeros' history but I have to say this makes the hidden Blackfyre a lot easier to pull off around her.

Her knowing would make the reveal pretty weak, unless she says she still can't be with him cause his branch of the family are losers and then he takes a dragon and goes to claim Westeros.

On 2/14/2017 at 3:55 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Where did this guy, who implies to Barristan that he cannot read or write, learn to speak like a poet? Not that it can’t be done, but most of the sellswords we’ve seen are about a million miles from being as smooth as Daario is with words.

Generally, such speech and manners belong to the noble class, yet we’ve been given no background on this guy. Given how close he is to Dany, we should know more. We know the basics of Brown Ben’s story. We know Barristan’s, and Jorah’s, and even some about the Meereenese who are in Dany’s court.

Why so little on Daario, George? Are we maybe hiding something?

As Jorah said, even Daario’s beard wears false colors. And while Jorah was jealous when he said this, that doesn’t make him wrong.

Ok, ok, it happened again. But first, I scanned and did not see this posted, so apologies if I missed it. Here I was, sipping my liquid lunch, doing a little earth shattering ASOIAF research about something totally unrelated to this topic when something popped out at me that brought me brain swirling back around to your gilded cracked pot.

I have no proof of anything, besides o fun brain scratcher, but you mentioned that Daario's speech and manners belong to the noble class, but we have no background info about Daario, besides he comes from Tyrosh. Well, I came across this info of an interesting guy that is given just a tad more description than the other guests, besides Jorah. Picture it, Essos, approx 297 A.C.,  Dany is having her dragon outing party (wedding to Drogo) with her mouthy dragon brother there, and being given three dragon eggs to boot:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys I

Illyrio whispered to them. "Those three are Drogo's bloodriders, there," he said. "By the pillar is Khal Moro, with his son Rhogoro. The man with the green beard is brother to the Archon of Tyrosh, and the man behind him is Ser Jorah Mormont."
The last name caught Daenerys. "A knight?"
"No less." Illyrio smiled through his beard. "Anointed with the seven oils by the High Septon himself."
I'm not saying Daario was that green-bearded man, but as you cracked, Daario could be of a higher birth or nobility there, and this green guy could be a source of info back to Tyrosh/a known Blackfyre that a dragon female had been spotted. We know Prince Oberyn, a man of noble birth, was part of a sellsword company for a time, so it is done.
Ok, That is all.

22 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ok, ok, it happened again. But first, I scanned and did not see this posted, so apologies if I missed it. Here I was, sipping my liquid lunch, doing a little earth shattering ASOIAF research about something totally unrelated to this topic when something popped out at me that brought me brain swirling back around to your gilded cracked pot.

I have no proof of anything, besides o fun brain scratcher, but you mentioned that Daario's speech and manners belong to the noble class, but we have no background info about Daario, besides he comes from Tyrosh. Well, I came across this info of an interesting guy that is given just a tad more description than the other guests, besides Jorah. Picture it, Essos, approx 297 A.C.,  Dany is having her dragon outing party (wedding to Drogo) with her mouthy dragon brother there, and being given three dragon eggs to boot:

A Game of Thrones - Daenerys I

Illyrio whispered to them. "Those three are Drogo's bloodriders, there," he said. "By the pillar is Khal Moro, with his son Rhogoro. The man with the green beard is brother to the Archon of Tyrosh, and the man behind him is Ser Jorah Mormont."
The last name caught Daenerys. "A knight?"
"No less." Illyrio smiled through his beard. "Anointed with the seven oils by the High Septon himself."
I'm not saying Daario was that green-bearded man, but as you cracked, Daario could be of a higher birth or nobility there, and this green guy could be a source of info back to Tyrosh/a known Blackfyre that a dragon female had been spotted. We know Prince Oberyn, a man of noble birth, was part of a sellsword company for a time, so it is done.
Ok, That is all.

There is great potential in this. As I understand it the position of Archon is one that rotates among the Tyroshi nobility (can't recall if it's an elected position). For example, at the time of her marriage to Daemon Blackfyre, Rohanne of Tyrosh's father was Archon. You'd think in time that family would get to have another member be Archon. 

And Arianne was supposed to go to the Archon's as a cupbearer so she could meet with Viserys in secret, but her mother scotched that plan. Maybe that was why Dany and Viserys stayed so long in Tyrosh...maybe Doran helped to keep them alive and fed.  Tyrosh and dragons of the Targaryen sort are definitely connected. 

ETA...

Oh. My. Goodness. I may have just figured something(s) out.

-Doran had to know that Dany and Viserys were going to be in Tyrosh at least every once in a while, otherwise the plan for Arianne to meet with her betrothed never would have worked
-that means it is very likely that Varys is Doran's friend in King's Landing, keeping him informed of the Targ siblings' whereabouts
-but the "friends" are keeping secrets from each other. We have no indication thus far that Doran knew about Aegon, thought without his POV it's hard to say. GRRM said that Varys and Illyrio didn't know about the betrothal pact, nor did Viserys
-that means the Archon of Tyrosh would have to be on in the plan because it's very unlikely that a cupbearer would get to just go run around the city--Arianne would need help meeting with the guy who didn't even know he was engaged to her
-if Varys is indeed the friend in KL, it actually is possible that Doran did know about Aegon but didn't trust Varys enough to believe him outright when he said he'd saved Aegon. We already know he didn't trust Varys enough to let him know about Viserys and Arianne's betrothal. What if Doran was waiting for the results of the Aegon experiment in raising the perfect prince before imposing whatever litmus test he has for whether the boy is really his nephew?
-this also opens up the possibility that the house with the red door and the lemon tree is in Dorne and what Darkstar knows is that Doran secretly gave sanctuary to Dany and Viserys after Willem Darry died...which if it became widely known would be a huge indication that Doran will be team Targ, no matter which Targ it is. He's sending two nieces to King's Landing to infiltrate the faith and the small council. The last thing he'd want is proof of his pro-Targ stance reaching Cersei's ears.

Hey Lady Blizzardborn,

I know we spoke briefly on the topic of Daario's identity and I put forth the rather crackpot idea that Daario is the actual Quentyn Martell, with a fake being sent to the traitorous House Yronwood. I will get the full write up one of these days but I want to bring up a rather odd physical description, namely mustachios.

Only two Essosi groups are noted to wear mustachios: the Dothraki and the Norvoshi. In face the first non Dothraki we meet with a mustachio is a Norvoshi, its even blue.

A dozen caravan guards had come running. With them was the master himself, Merchant Captain Byan Votyris, a diminutive Norvoshi with skin like old leather and a bristling blue mustachio that swept up to his ears. He seemed to know what had happened without a word being spoken. "Take this one away to await the pleasure of the khal," he commanded, gesturing at the man on the ground. Two guards hauled the wineseller to his feet. "His goods I gift to you as well, Princess," the merchant captain went on. "Small token of regret, that one of mine would do this thing."

Also from the World Book.

Only Norvoshi priests are permitted beards; freeborn Norvoshi of both high and low birth favor long, unswept mustachios, whilst slaves and women are shaved bare. Norvoshi women, indeed, shave off all their body hair, though the ladies of the nobility will don wigs, especially when thrust into the company of men from other lands and cities.

So provided that Mellario took Quentyn with her when she departed Dorne and he lived in Norvos for several years. Then he could have gone to Tyrosh with Mellario, helping fulfill the Pact between Dorne and Tyrosh that Doran mentions.  After all the Archon does send his daughter to be fostered at the Water Gardens. This would also make the Stormcrows Oberyn's sellsword company.

The Stormcrow is also a ship at Eastwatch by the Sea owned by the Night's Watch. The Lord Commander before Jeor was a Qorgyle, and Oberyn was fostered with House Qorgyle in his youth.

I have a bunch of other stuff but I figured I'd let the community tell me how crazy I am. So what do you think?

8 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Hey Lady Blizzardborn,

I know we spoke briefly on the topic of Daario's identity and I put forth the rather crackpot idea that Daario is the actual Quentyn Martell, with a fake being sent to the traitorous House Yronwood. I will get the full write up one of these days but I want to bring up a rather odd physical description, namely mustachios.

Only two Essosi groups are noted to wear mustachios: the Dothraki and the Norvoshi. In face the first non Dothraki we meet with a mustachio is a Norvoshi, its even blue.

So provided that Mellario took Quentyn with her when she departed Dorne and he lived in Norvos for several years. Then he could have gone to Tyrosh with Mellario, helping fulfill the Pact between Dorne and Tyrosh that Doran mentions.  After all the Archon does send his daughter to be fostered at the Water Gardens. This would also make the Stormcrows Oberyn's sellsword company.

The Stormcrow is also a ship at Eastwatch by the Sea owned by the Night's Watch. The Lord Commander before Jeor was a Qorgyle, and Oberyn was fostered with House Qorgyle in his youth.

I have a bunch of other stuff but I figured I'd let the community tell me how crazy I am. So what do you think?

Well, I think Melario of Norvos (and Doran's children through her) are the Blackfyre descendants, not Aegon.  Doran wants Arianne to become queen by using Dornish Law, as Daena the Defiant should not have been passed over in the succession for a cousin from a younger brother (Aegon IV).

If so, this would make Daario and Melario related.  Perhaps Daario and/or some direct relatives were raised in Norvos too.  If Daario is closely related to Melario, and Oberyn did form the Stormcrows, Daario could have been hired because he was also related to Oberyn through marriage. 

19 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

-that means it is very likely that Varys is Doran's friend in King's Landing, keeping him informed of the Targ siblings' whereabouts

(just for parenthesis, because off topic : Varys probably informed Doran too about the supposed trapp on the road to King's Landing, to kill Tristan. We have yet no idea if this trapp is a reality or not, and if Tristan is supposed to be killed, or if he uses the fact that clans of the Mountains of the Moon are still in the Kingswood to serve a credible story and push Doran to act more actively against Tyrell and Lannister ^^)

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Traditionally, one of the best ways to kill a dragon, is a crossbow quarrel/bolt or arrow through the eye.

Well done Lady B!  Love it! 

The above quote reminds me of another Targaryen bastard that took an arrow through the eye.  :)

Although BR wasn't described as "lithe" he is described as thin and I would assume his training with a bow has made him graceful. 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, Sea Dragon said:

I thought more about this. I did a little reading to be sure and Tyrosh is known for pear brandy, and then later Viserion is coiled around a pear tree, and then Daenerys gives Daario a pear to eat. It reminded me of the peach Renly gave to Stannis but Daario actually eats his fruit.

Nice!

18 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Hey Lady Blizzardborn,

That's an interesting point there. Mellario didn't leave until a few years after Quentyn was fostered with the Yronwoods, IIRC. And after he was sent to them she threatened to kill herself if Doran sent Arianne away to Tyrosh. I think you need to find a good way to explain Mellario's reaction if Quentyn wasn't actually with the Yronwoods (if Doran had him somewhere else how did she find out and end up taking him with her?), as well as how he ended up in Tyrosh long enough to double as a native Tyroshi. Wouldn't hurt to come up with an identity for the Quentyn stunt-double Lord Yronwood had. Be prepared for the question of why Doran would send a fake Quentyn to go get Dany if real Quentyn was already there.

It wouldn't necessarily make the Stormcrows Oberyn's company. 

Something you need to consider. When Daario gets all upset, it's not with Quentyn and his friends. I read that wrong myself, and need to note that up-thread. He's upset with the other Windblown, who only switched sides because the Tattered Prince told them to. 

9 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Well, I think Melario of Norvos (and Doran's children through her) are the Blackfyre descendants, not Aegon.  Doran wants Arianne to become queen by using Dornish Law, as Daena the Defiant should not have been passed over in the succession for a cousin from a younger brother (Aegon IV).

If so, this would make Daario and Melario related.  Perhaps Daario and/or some direct relatives were raised in Norvos too.  If Daario is closely related to Melario, and Oberyn did form the Stormcrows, Daario could have been hired because he was also related to Oberyn through marriage. 

Doran wanted Arianne to become queen by marrying Viserys and making him king. That has nothing to do with Dornish law.

Mellario as a Blackfyre descendant is a cool idea though. I wonder if she knew about the marriage pact? 

9 hours ago, GloubieBoulga said:

(just for parenthesis, because off topic : Varys probably informed Doran too about the supposed trapp on the road to King's Landing, to kill Tristan. We have yet no idea if this trapp is a reality or not, and if Tristan is supposed to be killed, or if he uses the fact that clans of the Mountains of the Moon are still in the Kingswood to serve a credible story and push Doran to act more actively against Tyrell and Lannister ^^)

Very cool, GloubieBoulga!

4 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Well done Lady B!  Love it! 

The above quote reminds me of another Targaryen bastard that took an arrow through the eye.  :)

Although BR wasn't described as "lithe" he is described as thin and I would assume his training with a bow has made him graceful. 

Nice!

Thanks, DarkSister1001. :D

I hope no one minds, but I'm tagging everyone who has been kind enough to read and comment... @bemused  @Curled Finger @Sea Dragon @The Fattest Leech @hiemal @Leo of House Cartel @Vaedys Targaryen @Aegon VII @Isobel Harper @DarkSister1001 @Lord Wraith @GloubieBoulga

...because now it's time to look at some quotes about The Rogue Prince, Daemon Targaryen, first of his name. Really, I checked--he was the first Targaryen named Daemon. Prince Daemon was also a progenitor of the Blackfyre line.

Daena the Defiant deliberately named her son after her grandfather Daemon. Little Daemon Waters of course became the founder of House Blackfyre, and the fact that he was named after his great-grandfather gave people some concern.

Yandel wrote:

Daemon was the name Daena gave to this child, for Prince Daemon had been the wonder and the terror of his age, and in later days that was seen as a warning of what the boy would become.

Imagine if Daario had been born prince of a ruling family. Wonder and terror. Sounds about right.

From the wiki article about Daemon:

Daemon was a skilled warrior described in the histories as dashing, daring and dangerous. He was also ambitious, impetuous, mercurial, amoral, reckless and quick to take offense. Archmaester Gyldayn described Daemon as being as charming as he was hot tempered.

Prince Daemon Targaryen was charming, capable, reckless, dangerous, cruel even. Daario is charming, capable, reckless, and even Dany describes him as dangerous and cruel beneath the smiles and japes.

Gyldayn also wrote of Daemon:

“Over the centuries, House Targaryen has produced both great men and monsters. Prince Daemon was both.”

Compare this quote from The Rogue Prince with Dany’s thought that Daario and she are both monsters.

Otto Hightower said that if Rhaenyra sat the throne Daemon would be  “…a king consort as cruel and unforgiving as Maegor ever was.”

This quote comes from The Princess and the Queen. It wasn't Rhaenyra anyone feared. It was Daemon. As Rhaenyra's husband he would have exerted a lot of influence. And who do we know who is that close to the woman who might be the first Queen Regnant of Westeros? 

And GRRM himself called Daemon “…a rogue if ever there was one.” 

Now... if you tilt your head to the side and squint, doesn't that all sound a lot like Daario?

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Awww shoot. I'm not at my  computer to check, but this is an interesting question. 

I understand...rum or research LOL

Obviously she's called the Mother of Dragons, Rhaegar was called the Last Dragon, but I honestly can't recall anyone else referring to her as strictly "dragon". 

22 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Does anyone else call her a dragon and not "mother of dragons"? 

I would look into that, but if I type Daenerys and dragon into A Search of Ice and Fire, I'm going to get every single Daenerys chapter. :lol:

Off the top of my head, other than Daario, Daenerys herself is the only one who refers to her as "a" dragon. And even for that I'm not 100% sure. It may just be that she is the blood of the dragon, and the dragon's daughter. 

You know, DS, you may be on to something here. Isn't it Salladhor Saan who makes a crack about the Westerosi thinking their sigils actually make them animals? Seems like the sigil and the person being the same is a very Westerosi concept, yet a Tyroshi sellsword is using that concept by referring to Daenerys as a dragon. 

20 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

@Lady Blizzardborn I'm out right now so I'll have to give a better answer later, but after three shots of black rum, which burned like fyre going down, I think my eyes are fully open to this idea of yours! :cheers:

Ah. I see that to fully embrace my theory I need to start drinking. ;) Nice pun there with black rum and fyre.  

Looking forward to your thoughts when you have time. Enjoy the night out. :cheers:

I went back and reread every word from the beginning.   @Lady Blizzardborn, this really isn't a stretch to see Daario as a potential 1) royal family member 2) Blackfyre/Brightflame/Lost Targ.  As I said previously, it's obvious there is more to Darrio's story to nearly everyone.  I enjoy Preston Jacobs a great deal.   He's got this silly music he plays every time he mentions Daemon Targaryen and now it will play in my mind every time I read Daario.   I know you aren't pushing very hard to sell anyone on your ideas.   Truth is this is very well thought out and supported.   It sells itself.  I've been looking for a Daemon T. second coming and I think you've found it.   If not a literal link then certainly a symbolic link.   All I can say is Westeros and Essos need Prince Daemon...or someone very much like him.  

You've got me, hook line and sinker.   So let me ask why Daario hasn't said anything directly to Dany?  Is it the taint of Blackfyre history?  Is there a possibility both dragons could unite?  What do we make of Aegon?  I suppose that enough time has passed so that there are several branches on the Targaryen and Blackfyre trees.   After all, weren't we left wondering exactly what became of Prince Daemon?    

1 minute ago, Curled Finger said:

You've got me, hook line and sinker.   So let me ask why Daario hasn't said anything directly to Dany?  Is it the taint of Blackfyre history?  Is there a possibility both dragons could unite?  What do we make of Aegon?  I suppose that enough time has passed so that there are several branches on the Targaryen and Blackfyre trees.   After all, weren't we left wondering exactly what became of Prince Daemon?    

I wonder if this shares any parallel to what each "teacher" is doing with each main character? For instance, Bloodraven does not give Bran the paste until after Bran does a few things that are considered "advanced", and it is only then when BR says, "It is time... for the next step." (ADWD, Bran III) Maybe the "revelation" has to come when the "you know nothing's" actually learn something??? Just an idea.

11 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I went back and reread every word from the beginning.   @Lady Blizzardborn, this really isn't a stretch to see Daario as a potential 1) royal family member 2) Blackfyre/Brightflame/Lost Targ.  As I said previously, it's obvious there is more to Darrio's story to nearly everyone.  I enjoy Preston Jacobs a great deal.   He's got this silly music he plays every time he mentions Daemon Targaryen and now it will play in my mind every time I read Daario.   I know you aren't pushing very hard to sell anyone on your ideas.   Truth is this is very well thought out and supported.   It sells itself.  I've been looking for a Daemon T. second coming and I think you've found it.   If not a literal link then certainly a symbolic link.   All I can say is Westeros and Essos need Prince Daemon...or someone very much like him.  

Thank you, CF. You're always so kind to me. :)

It would be exactly that. The minute he says he's a Blackfyre, her guard will go up and she'll wonder if he's after her throne, and using her to get to Westeros. She's been wondering already whether he's going to betray her. This would just add to it. And interestingly enough, of all the people on Quaithe's list of who not to trust, there was no mention of Daario. Granted, she was talking mostly about people who were heading toward Dany, and Daario was already there, but still...

There is a possibility that both dragons could unite, but as with the last Daenerys who loved a Blackfyre it may come down to what's best for the kingdom rather than what she wants. Or if Daario is killed (by the Yunkai, or anyone else) she'll have to move on.

Aegon would be either the real deal, or another son of Rhaegar's if he was knocking up multiple women in hopes of getting that third dragon head, or perhaps just a regular kid with Valyrian looks who has been given the chance to prove once and for all whether blood matters at all when it comes to being a king. It's too early to tell. I suppose he could be of the Brightflame line but I really think if there's a Brightflame in the mix it's Varys. 

Whatever happened to Daemon, he's dead by now...unless he's stuck in a tree like Bloodraven. But I think he'd need First Men blood for that to work. 

Archived