Patchface Compendium

Red Man Racey

It looks like the last thread which compiled all the Patchface quotes was from 5 years ago, so instead of resurrecting that thread I thought I would just start a new one. I'm trying to accomplish a word substitution for the major components of each quote in an attempt to decipher his apparent prophecies. I've listed what I think are the major components of each quote and started an analysis on some of them. As people make suggestions I'll update this list. Maybe we can finally piece together some of his nonsensical ramblings.

Patchface quotes:

Under the sea, the birds have scales for feathers. I know. I know…

Components – birds, scales, feathers, "under the sea"

Analysis:  My interpretation here is that the "birds" he refers to are actually dragons. But the "under the sea" part is more problematic; could this be an indicator that this is simply a vision he had while he was "under the sea" for those three days? This would then simply be an statement that he saw dragons in a vision he had while under the sea.

It is always summer under the sea. The merwives wear nennymoans in their hair and weave gowns of silver seaweed. I know. I know…

Components – merwives, nennymoans (anemones?), gowns of silver seaweed, "under the sea"

Analysis:  I've seen the idea that "nennymoans" refers to anemones, I think this is probably correct. Sea anemones are often crown-shaped (a ring of tentacles around an oral disc) and are named after the anemone flower, the name is derived from Latin and/or Greek and means "daughter of the wind." The seaweed could be a reference to a tokar, the traditional garb of Ghiscari elites,  a "long, loose shapeless sheet" which is "wound around hips and under an arm and over a shoulder," seemingly the way someone would wrap seaweed around themselves. I think this quote might be a vision of Dany wearing a crown and a silver tokar.

Under the sea it snows up, and the rain is dry as bone. I know. I know…

Components – snow, rain, bones, "under the sea"

Clever bird, clever man, clever clever fool…

Components – bird, man, fool

The shadows come to dance my lord, dance my lord, dance my lord. The shadows come to stay my lord, stay my lord, stay my lord...

Components – shadows, dancing

Analysis:  I think this is a statement that the Others are returning (for the purposes of this conversation White Walkers = Others, the possibility that they are different beings is unimportant for this discussion). In the prologue of AGoT the appearance of the first Other is described: "A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood." Later, Royce says to the Other "Dance with me then."

Under the sea, you fall up. I know. I know…

Components – falling, up, "under the sea"

Here we eat fish, under the sea, the fish eat us. I know. I know…

Components – eating, fish, "under the sea"

Analysis:  House Sunderly of the Iron Islands, coat of arms - A drowned man, pink and pale, floating upright in a blue-green sea, his hair streaming upwards, as fish nibble at his limbs. Connection maybe?

Under the sea no one wears hats. I know. I know…

Components – hats, "under the sea"

Analysis:  hats = crowns?

Under the sea, smoke rises in bubbles, and flames burn green and blue and black. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.

Components – smoke, bubbles, rising, flames, green, blue, black, "under the sea"

Analysis:  I think it's @Lost Melnibonean (if this is not correct please let me know so that I can give credit to the author) that has a good analysis of the colors green, blue, and black.

Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye.

Components – fool, king, maiden, blood, chains, guests, bridegroom

Analysis:  This one is pretty well agreed to be a vision of the Red Wedding.

Under the sea the mermen feast on starfish soup, and all the serving men are crabs.

Components – mermen, feast, starfish, crabs, "under the sea"

Analysis:  I think the creatures here are references to sigils of different houses

• Crab - House Borrel or House Celtigar
  • Mermen - House Manderly
  • Starfish - the Faith or any of lots of assorted houses

Melisandre’s quote on the topic of Patchface:

That creature is dangerous. Many a time I have glimpsed him in my flames. Sometimes there are skulls about him, and his lips are red with blood.

Components – skulls, lips, blood

37 minutes ago, Red Man Racey said:

Components – mermen, feast, starfish, crabs, "under the sea"

Analysis:  I think the creatures here are references to sigils of different houses

House Borrel on Sweetsister has a crab for a sigil. They allowed Davos to continue to White Harbor in DwD where they have a feast, so there's a one degree connection between "crabs" and "mermen". Uncertain what starfish would be in terms of sigils. Fish are Tullies in pretty much every food symbol, so "fish soup" could be dead Tullies, but what would adding "star" mean? As in 7 pointed star maybe? This one has been vexing me for a while.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:10 PM, cgrav said:

House Borrel on Sweetsister has a crab for a sigil. They allowed Davos to continue to White Harbor in DwD where they have a feast, so there's a one degree connection between "crabs" and "mermen". Uncertain what starfish would be in terms of sigils. Fish are Tullies in pretty much every food symbol, so "fish soup" could be dead Tullies, but what would adding "star" mean? As in 7 pointed star maybe? This one has been vexing me for a while.

Sorry it took me a while to respond, I've been travelling. The question about starfish is bothering me too. I like the possibility that it's a reference to just a star and not necessarily a starfish (it's just called a starfish to fit with the overall theme of the vision). I can't think what connection there would be for it to be the seven pointed star, but there are other houses whose sigil includes a star or it could be the Faith and we just don't know the connection yet.

On crabs, there are two houses who incorporate a crab or crabs into their sigil, Celtigar and Borrel. It does seem that the Borrels have a closer connection to this particular "prophecy."

So maybe the Borrels (crabs) "served" Davos and now the mermen (Manderly's?) need to feast on starfish soup (stars:  Faith/Poor Fellows, House Thenn, House Peckledon, House Ruthermont [actual starfish], House Dayne, House Karstark, the bleeding star, House Mallery, House Martell, House Tarth, etc [there's a lot of stars and/or suns in sigils]).

Archived