Does fAegon annoy anyone else?

Canon Claude

We get the whole "not dead jk" thing, but also the fact that we will have to sit through a new Dance of Dragons where one side has no dragons yet will be given some kind of plot armour to be seen as a viable threat. And sorry, but that's not as interesting as the White Walker conflict, which has always been meant as the ultimate showdown. The southern politics will just drag on to make fAegon's stay worthwhile and leave much less time for the Battle for the dawn.

Admittedly, this comes from what GRRM originally planned when it was mean to be a shorter series, but it worries me that seven might not be enough to finish the series. And yes I love these books but I'd hope that closure is somewhere on the horizon.

While I'm not saying fAegon is my favourite character, he doesn't annoy me. 

And to address what the OP is talking about, I think that's rubbish about the story not being anything but filler. The southern politics have always been there, and I'd love it if fAegon is revealed to be the last of the Blackfyres come to take their last stab at vengeance. It would help tie in the Dunk saga with the main series and provide an enjoyable monkey wrench into the story. 

And if the series is getting too long for you, then that's your opinion, but it's also your loss. 

Honestly f(Aegon) is not as bad as Lady StoneHart, now that's one absolutely pointless character. But more on point, you need not worry about things dragging out.

People love to think that this will be a second dance of dragons, this will just be another Blackfyre rebellion, it will start strong  then fall apart really fast. I suspect by the end of 1/2 of the next book, they will be squashed.

I'm not sure about the meaning of the topic, but I like Aegon and I'm not convinced that he is a Blackfyre.

There is simply not enough evidence.....but both the fAegon and Aegon factions have good points. Hopefully TWOW clears up this mystery.

I like Aegon's character so far. I was impressed at how he honored Ser Duckfield with a spot on his KG and how he listened to Tyrion's counsel. Aegon V Euron is something that I look forward to in the next book. The last time an Aegon landed in Westeros, the dragon had to humble an evil Ironborn king. Perhaps history will repeat itself.

I would be extremely surprised if there even is a battle for the dawn. This is GRRM, not Tolkien. The Others are IMO a metaphor for the tribal tendency to demonize outsiders, hence the name "other" as used in sociology and psychology, or Other in our story. GRRM doesn't do black and white battles between good and evil.

On topic, no. I wouldn't really miss him if he was gone, but he's giving the Lannister forces a kick in the ass so I find it quite entertaining. Yes I think whatever inevitable plot armor he gets to somehow have a dragon assuming there is another dance would annoy me.

3 minutes ago, Praetor Xyn said:

On topic, no. I wouldn't really miss him if he was gone, but he's giving the Lannister forces a kick in the ass so I find it quite entertaining. Yes I think whatever inevitable plot armor he gets to somehow have a dragon assuming there is another dance would annoy me.

My way around that would be to have FAegon build his power base by uniting old enemies like the Dornish and men of the Reach, defeating the Lannisters and challenging Euron, only for Dany to arrive and destroy him. Have the last Red Dragon finally wipe out the last Black Dragon once and for all.

Just now, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Can you elaborate on how that works and why Varys wouldnt just say that instead of lying about him being Rhaegar's firstborn son?

Wait what is your question?

My question for you is why Varys didn't save Rhaegar's 2 other children. Varys always goes on about how the innocent children always suffer but if you believe that Varys took Aegon away frin King's Landing then why didn't he save the other 2 children?

3 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

My way around that would be to have FAegon build his power base by uniting old enemies like the Dornish and men of the Reach, defeating the Lannisters and challenging Euron, only for Dany to arrive and destroy him. Have the last Red Dragon finally wipe out the last Black Dragon once and for all.

That would be kinda "blah" to me.  Now, if Aegon IS a Blackfyre, it would be more poignant to have Dany and Aegon work together to defeat a common foe, like the Others.

33 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

We get the whole "not dead jk" thing, but also the fact that we will have to sit through a new Dance of Dragons where one side has no dragons yet will be given some kind of plot armour to be seen as a viable threat. And sorry, but that's not as interesting as the White Walker conflict, which has always been meant as the ultimate showdown. The southern politics will just drag on to make fAegon's stay worthwhile and leave much less time for the Battle for the dawn.

Admittedly, this comes from what GRRM originally planned when it was mean to be a shorter series, but it worries me that seven might not be enough to finish the series. And yes I love these books but I'd hope that closure is somewhere on the horizon.

I wouldn't bet on that. The dragonhorn is potentially a game changer. And actually, Aegon may end up having nothing to do with the second Dance. He may not live long enough to see it. But let's say he does. If someone else is the Blackfyre pretender, Dany may offer Aegon a dragon so they can work together to take down their common enemy. 

21 minutes ago, The Pimp that was Promised said:

I'm not sure about the meaning of the topic, but I like Aegon and I'm not convinced that he is a Blackfyre.

There is simply not enough evidence.....but both the fAegon and Aegon factions have good points. Hopefully TWOW clears up this mystery.

I like Aegon's character so far. I was impressed at how he honored Ser Duckfield with a spot on his KG and how he listened to Tyrion's counsel. Aegon V Euron is something that I look forward to in the next book. The last time an Aegon landed in Westeros, the dragon had to humble an evil Ironborn king. Perhaps history will repeat itself.

:agree:

2 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

My question for you is why Varys didn't save Rhaegar's 2 other children. Varys always goes on about how the innocent children always suffer but if you believe that Varys took Aegon away frin King's Landing then why didn't he save the other 2 children?

*raises hand* I can answer that. And it's one other child, not two.

Just now, Coolbeard the Exile said:

I'm expressing my doubt that Aegon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. How does that theory work? Assuming it's true, how did Varys get a hold of that child? And why lie about him actually being Rhaegar's firstborn son instead of just telling the truth about him being Rhaegar's son by Lyanna?

1 minute ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

I wouldn't bet on that. The dragonhorn is potentially a game changer. And actually, Aegon may end up having nothing to do with the second Dance. He may not live long enough to see it. But let's say he does. If someone else is the Blackfyre pretender, Dany may offer Aegon a dragon so they can work together to take down their common enemy. 

:agree:

*raises hand* I can answer that. And it's one other child, not two.

Yeah sorry one other child 

45 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

And sorry, but that's not as interesting as the White Walker conflict, which has always been meant as the ultimate showdown. The southern politics will just drag on to make fAegon's stay worthwhile and leave much less time for the Battle for the dawn.

but it worries me that seven might not be enough to finish the series. And yes I love these books but I'd hope that closure is somewhere on the horizon.

To be fair, I think the intrigues from the southern courts is much more interesting for me.

It will probably take more than 7 books to finish the story, unless he start to kill a lot of characters.

Anyway, GRRM will probably die before ending his books.

Archived