Does fAegon annoy anyone else?

Canon Claude

11 minutes ago, KingMance said:

Sorry to interrupt this most excellent 5 page "who's the daddy" discussion, but to answer the OP, yeah, Aegon annoys me. He's a pawn for Illyrio, Varys, JonCon, and Tyrion. He hasn't made any major decisions, and when he finally does it'll probably cost him his fake head. Oh and R+L=J. It is known.

As a father of a current 3 year old, it would be impossible to make that switch. Unless she's been locked away in the Red Keep since birth, anyone with royal connections would know if Rhaenys was real or not.

Which is why Illyrio is one of my favorite characters. 

5 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Do that :)

For the record, there's a huge difference between being "a bitch" and being the "worst person ever."  In a series with Tywin and Gregor, it takes a lot to rate being called the worst person ever.

And Catelyn really does get a LOT of hate from a vocal segment of the fandom.

I think some people expect Catelyn to make nothing but good decisions and not to trust anyone. I don't see any reason to expect every protagonist to be a brilliant strategist. It's literally like a couple characters who are single-mindedly strategic like Tyrion, and most of them aren't obvious good guys (jury's out on Varys).

Aegon will ride Rhaegal, hence a dance of dragons.

Aegon will be much loved and capable of holding the realm together in roundly competent and just rule. And be fake. So when Dany defeats him the conclusion she will have to draw about herself is that she believes in the sanctity of bloodlines and law of succession, not the best person for the job. And then she will come to believe R+L=J and that they were married. Thus she will have to defer to Jon or prove herself a hypocrite.

Aegon is the culmination of Varys' game playing, a story thread introduced in AGOT and layered throughout. His downfall and the calamitous fallout for the realm will lay at Varys' feet for having played the game of thrones.

Aegon's defeat will be the largest single factor in turning the realm against Dany. They will hate their new queen for having killed their last beloved king, and that hate will see her unable to hold the Iron throne and have to flee KL. This will set her on the path towards Jon and will leave a vacant throne up for grabs, for anyone who still has it in them to seek the poisoned chalice.

Aegon is not an afterthought and is not useless, he is integral to one of the biggest character arcs in the books and for aligning factions where they need to be to push the story onwards.

16 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

For the record, there's a huge difference between being "a bitch" and being the "worst person ever."  In a series with Tywin and Gregor, it takes a lot to rate being called the worst person ever.

And Catelyn really does get a LOT of hate from a vocal segment of the fandom.

She is not a good person

7 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

She is not a good person

She is a gray person. As are almost all of GRRM's characters. She's not perfect, but she could be a lot worse, especially considering the medieval setting. 

Again "not a good person" is still not the same as being the worst character in the series.

1 minute ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

She is a gray person. As are almost all of GRRM's characters. She's not perfect, but she could be a lot worse, especially considering the medieval setting. 

Again "not a good person" is still not the same as being the worst character in the series.

Watch the videos dude i thought that the title ridicolous at first aswell

Catelyn has to make a lot of shitty decisions, and the consequences are ultimately bad, but that's not an issue of morality. She's cold to Jon, but that's about it. In everybody other situation she is too trusting and generous, if anything. She might be the only person in the whole series who actually changes her mind about Tyrion after he's accused.

Just now, cgrav said:

Catelyn has to make a lot of shitty decisions, and the consequences are ultimately bad, but that's not an issue of morality. She's cold to Jon, but that's about it. In everybody other situation she is too trusting and generous, if anything. She might be the only person in the whole series who actually changes her mind about Tyrion after he's accused.

I'm almost done with that interview and the only time Catelyn came up it was said that she is misunderstood as a result of her interactions with Jon, but nothing else. Certainly no mention of her being a bitch. 

1 minute ago, cgrav said:

It is much more to it than the outside suggests

2 minutes ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

Maybee it comes later i dont remember

Maybe it's a different interview, because it's not in this one. What was said in the one you linked is entirely consistent with what I said and an SSM about Catelyn's supposed mistreatment of Jon. The question is asked at 43 minutes, and 50 seconds, if you'd like to check. I went back and listened to it again to be sure. 

4 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Maybe it's a different interview, because it's not in this one. What was said in the one you linked is entirely consistent with what I said and an SSM about Catelyn's supposed mistreatment of Jon. The question is asked at 43 minutes, and 50 seconds, if you'd like to check. I went back and listened to it again to be sure. 

You can interpret it both ways i think. Generally i find that people like Catelyn but but when you delve deep and read her chapters she really is not a good person. I highly recommend you watch the videos because they go into new theories about involving catelyn.

1 minute ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

You can interpret it both ways i think. Generally i find that people like Catelyn but but when you delve deep and read her chapters she really is not a good person. I highly recommend you watch the videos because they go into new theories about involving catelyn.

I will watch the videos. But neither GRRM nor Elio said anything remotely approaching what you said they said. That much is not an interpretation.

Archived