Does fAegon annoy anyone else?

Canon Claude

His presence does not bother me, but his cocky attitude does, which means he ain't long for this cold, cold world.

I don't mind his set up and I feel that his subtle introduction was first seen when Arya gets lost under the Red Keep and overhears the conversation between Varys and Illyrio. To me, this sets up both a hidden dragon that Varys and Illyrio are working on (not a Jon hidden dragon), and also sets up the foreshadowing of Arya spying/working with the Faceless men in the near future and then after. Arya is spying on the spymaster! I love it!

"Too soon, too soon," the voice with the accent complained. "What good is war now? We are not ready. Delay."
"As well bid me stop time. Do you take me for a wizard?"
The other chuckled. "No less." Flames licked at the cold air. The tall shadows were almost on top of her. An instant later the man holding the torch climbed into her sight, his companion beside him. Arya crept back away from the well, dropped to her stomach, and flattened herself against the wall. She held her breath as the men reached the top of the steps.

13 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

I don't know, I don't think saying a dead character's body was unrecognizable counts as the most...elegant or skillful foreshadowing, to be honest. That's like Ugly Betty levels of subtlety. I also think regardless of what he does accomplish, Aegon being alive is a pretty big deal and definitely needed way more set up. 

Like, I'm not even sure how to explain it but to me the whole Aegon thing feels off and awkward, like it happens so weird, like in media res in the middle of the book, I don't know. To me Aegon showing up is something you reveal in like an epilogue or something. 

And Dampy is now leaps and bounds better than JonCon after that new chapter of his. Oh, the advantages of physical and mental torture, they do wonders for those Greyjoys!

I liked the turtle too. I imagine it showed up to call bullsh*t on the Aegon reveal as well ;)

Elegant and skillful wouldn't work with Gregor Clegane in the mix. All that was needed was effective. The fact that it's so incredibly blatant is why I'm constantly surprised that so few people recognized it as foreshadowing.

There's also been some discussion of Varys hinting at it when he mentions Elia and her babe. Singular. As in one kid dying, not two.

You may think these don't count but according to one of GRRM's editors his set-up on big things is 1-2-3. 1) subtle hint, 2) less subtle hint, 3) reveal. 

If "unrecognizable" royal heir is one if the hints, and Varys' line is the other, then all that's left is the reveal. Most other things have extra clues scattered throughout, but if GRRM wanted maximum surprise in the readers on this (the ones who didn't catch "oh, couldn't be recognized, so an Aegon will show up later") then adding more clues would be counter-productive.

I think Aegon showing up was meant to be weird. He wants the readers to question it. He wants there to be some doubt not just in the story but in the fans as well. He likes to keep us on our toes. And in the end I don't think it will matter whether he was real or not, except to the characters. If Dany kills him, and then learns he really was her nephew, she'll be less likely to jump to the same conclusions and actions when she finds out about Jon, not to mention being filled with remorse and possibly worrying about kinslaying.

2 hours ago, Sigella said:

Not alone, I'm annoyed af at his reaction towards Tyrion in their cevasse game,

fAegon (as a potential leader of Westeros, not a character in a book) bothers me in this scene as well. It very closely parallels Joff on his wedding day.

Young Griff jerked to his feet and kicked over the board. Cyvasse pieces flew in all directions, bouncing and rolling across the deck of the Shy Maid. “Pick those up,” the boy commanded.

He may well be a Targaryen after all. “If it please Your Grace.” Tyrion got down on his hands and knees and began to crawl about the deck, gathering up pieces.

“It’s not meant to be an honor!” Joffrey screamed. “Bend down and pick up my chalice.” Tyrion did as he was bid, but as he reached for the handle Joff kicked the chalice through his legs. “Pick it up! Are you as clumsy as you are ugly?” He had to crawl under the table to find the thing.

12 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

fAegon (as a potential leader of Westeros, not a character in a book) bothers me in this scene as well. It very closely parallels Joff on his wedding day.

I was literally just thinking this. I by no means think (f)aegon is as cruel as Joffrey overall. But his reaction during the cyvasse game is very Joffrey-ish in that it indicates a sense of entitlement, which undermines the little speech by Varys at the end of Dance. The theory is a good one (and also could apply to a number of other characters), but in practice it doesn't seem like that (f)aegon embodies that at least from the little we have seen of him so far.

1 minute ago, Maxxine said:

I was literally just thinking this. I by no means think (f)aegon is as cruel as Joffrey overall.

I certainly hope he is not as cruel. And for the record i don't think he is. But do we really know ar this point?  We see him being kind and polite, yes. But we also know Joff could "play the gallant" as well. I think fAegon's temper/behavior will be something to watch for in tWoW. 

5 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

But his reaction during the cyvasse game is very Joffrey-ish in that it indicates a sense of entitlement, which undermines the little speech by Varys at the end of Dance.

Absolutely. And there is no doubt, IMO, that George set the scene up the way he did on purpose. That purpose being for the reader to think of Joffrey.

44 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

I was literally just thinking this. I by no means think (f)aegon is as cruel as Joffrey overall. But his reaction during the cyvasse game is very Joffrey-ish in that it indicates a sense of entitlement, which undermines the little speech by Varys at the end of Dance. The theory is a good one (and also could apply to a number of other characters), but in practice it doesn't seem like that (f)aegon embodies that at least from the little we have seen of him so far.

Entitled, yes, but not cruel.  There's one main difference.  Joffrey behaved that way at his wedding because, well, Joffrey.  Aegon was provoked to anger. 

In the cyvasse chapter, Aegon was already very angry at JonCon for not allowing him onshore.  He's being treated (and had been treated) like a boy, when he's legally a man.  It touches on his pride.  (Yes, he's proud too.)  Tyrion then provokes him further during the game.  

Joffrey enjoyed being cruel.  Aegon (in that scene) was emotional.

18 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Entitled, yes, but not cruel.  There's one main difference.  Joffrey behaved that way at his wedding because, well, Joffrey.  Aegon was provoked to anger. 

In the cyvasse chapter, Aegon was already very angry at JonCon for not allowing him onshore.  He's being treated (and had been treated) like a boy, when he's legally a man.  It touches on his pride.  (Yes, he's proud too.)  Tyrion then provokes him further during the game.  

Joffrey enjoyed being cruel.  Aegon (in that scene) was emotional.

You are absolutely correct in your statements. 

However, I think that there is a reason George set the scene up as such a tight parallel to the Joff wedding scene.

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

You are absolutely correct in your statements. 

However, I think that there is a reason George set the scene up as such a tight parallel to the Joff wedding scene.

One of my favorite crackpots is that Aegon will develop the Targ madness and a heartbroken Varys will have to kill him "for the realm."

18 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

One of my favorite crackpots is that Aegon will develop the Targ madness and a heartbroken Varys will have to kill him "for the realm."

There is nothing to suggest that Aegon will develop madness.

He is the prince that was promised. Rhaegar reincarnated with a preference for fighting instead of his fathers preference for music.

Aegon was angry at Tyrion because he was upset that he was treated like a child and that Tyrion was messing with him. Him being headstrong, angry going into the game and ontop of that Tyrion messing with him made him angry at Tyrion.

No reason to believe that Aegon will become mad...

Actually even some people said Aegon was installed in the first book and he is not a late addition and filler, etc, I still feel that GRRM did him in a rush and no-so-good way. Himself is probably regretting on it too. story will be all right without him at all.

4 hours ago, Sigella said:

Nice one!

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

He is the prince that was promised. Rhaegar reincarnated with a preference for fighting instead of his fathers preference for music.

Aegon was angry at Tyrion because he was upset that he was treated like a child and that Tyrion was messing with him. Him being headstrong, angry going into the game and ontop of that Tyrion messing with him made him angry at Tyrion.

I said it was a crackpot. There is nothing to suggest Dany is going to go mad either, but some readers insist on it.

You really need to stop acting like the Order of the Green Hand videos are factual. They are theories, and as likely to be wrong as they are to be right. No disrespect meant. But you seem to take them as canon, and they aren't. By all means enjoy and believe, but keep in mind that other theories also should be respected at least until we find out what's what. Which reminds me, what do you think of Jon and Aegon being twins? That allows for Aegon to still be TPtwP.

There's nothing in the series that suggests anyone ever really gets reincarnated.

I wasn't talking about the cyvasse game. Like I said, it's a crackpot theory.

1 hour ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Thank you.

I said it was a crackpot. There is nothing to suggest Dany is going to go mad either, but some readers insist on it.

You really need to stop acting like the Order of the Green Hand videos are factual. They are theories, and as likely to be wrong as they are to be right. No disrespect meant. But you seem to take them as canon, and they aren't. By all means enjoy and believe, but keep in mind that other theories also should be respected at least until we find out what's what. Which reminds me, what do you think of Jon and Aegon being twins? That allows for Aegon to still be TPtwP.

There's nothing in the series that suggests anyone ever really gets reincarnated.

I wasn't talking about the cyvasse game. Like I said, it's a crackpot theory.

I have never said that those theories are factual i am just saying that they make the most sense.

Whilst they are around the same age i don't think it is possible. They would have to have the same mom and dad but look how diffrent they are. It would also just storywise not be good at all.

Im not saying that anyone is going to be reincarnated obviously i was just meaning that he is fathers son.

We actually don't know all that much about Prince Aegon yet. People don't interact all that much with him in ADwD. However, he is clearly linked with the Young Dragon in a big way, and that means he is likely going to surprise people. He might be eventually doomed but first he will conquer the Iron Throne or do something similarly spectacular. Daeron I only died because he was murdered at a parlay so I don't expect Aegon to die or lose because he does something inherently stupid but rather that he is betrayed or makes a mistake pretty much anyone could have made.

8 hours ago, Coolbeard the Exile said:

His eyes are different. He's varys' nephew/2nd ? cousin and Illyrio's son.

The greatest Blackfyre threat since Daemon himself was put down on the redgrass field. 

Many agree he will take the iron throne but since he is half Blackfyre then it lowers his luck/chances like they're allergic to the iron throne

But on the real he seems super-entitled (understandably) angry at many people (understandably) but also kind of has that teenager bliss thing. (However graceful he may be) I see him going far but also might really "act his age" at crucial times. (Tyrion talked him out of the most beautiful woman in the world who has the worlds best unsullied turtle and 3 dragons way to easy)

I think the Blackfyre theory is the only one that wouldn't feel rushed bc the Blackfyre rebellions were never rushed. I think even Varys would be unable to have access to the baby Aegon during a seige bc soldiers would back into the room he was in and use the door as a funnel.

Archived